Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recurring Stain on Leather Boots.

Hornby

New in Town
Hey all.

I'm wondering if someone can help...

I have a pair of leather Wrangler Industrial Boots with a recurring white stain/mark that i just can't shift!

I thought it was just a water mark or maybe a salt stain but despite cleaning it keeps returning.
I have cleaned water, left to dry naturally then sprayed a leather weather protector...they came back.
Same procedure with warm water...same result.
Same procedure with water and white vinegar...same result.
Same procedure then polished with a boot polish and same result.

Anybody got any advice or age old sure fire methods they'd like to share i would be most appreciative!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

H..*

DSC00700-1-1.jpg

DSC00701-1.jpg

DSC00702-1.jpg

DSC00703-1.jpg

sproily

Practically Family
I believe the stain has come from the tanning solution that has been applied on the leather.

The tanning solution forms in to hydrogen chloride when the boot is wet and it is very hard to convince to leave once it has dried on the surface of the leather.

I think the trick would have been to wet the shoe completely and allow the salt from the hydrogen chloride to drip off.

I'm not sure how to deal with it once it has dried out.

Hornby

New in Town
Thank you for info Sproily.

I cleaned them again last night using more than a little steam and so far so good!
Previously the stain reappeared as they dried but they have dried stain free so far so maybe.....

Just maybe...

Thanks again.

H..*

sproily

Practically Family
That is very good news. Thank you. Now I know what to do if the same happens to me.

If it works perhaps you could post a more indepth tutorial to removing it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum