Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing 875 comfort question...

heboil

New in Town
Hi guys. 1st post here... and you guessed it by the title. I have really found a liking to the...

red-wing-boots-875-e1326829722167.jpeg

I picked up a pair locally (was also liking it in black). As many of you already know, the insole is leather with Goodyear welt construction. The size of the boot is quite good for me. My problem is that my arches are resting on the side stitching when I walk (as the insole is very narrow). I tried putting a thin insole on top of it, but the shoe becomes pretty tight even with a thin sock. Does anyone have this problem or overcome this? The insole is pretty narrow, and more modern shoes often have a more orthopedic style insole with instep coverage. I didn't actually find the insoles uncomfortable (which is what many people complain about). It is just the stitching where my foot overhangs on the side. And in case anyone was going to suggest going up a width, I have a C width foot with a low arch.

TIA.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got another model (Red Wing Beckmans 9016 or something) but the same problem at the same seams.

They just need to break in and soften up. It didn't use an insole or any tricks. I just had aching feet for a while.:eusa_doh: But now they are very confortable. Don't give up too fast.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
I have a new pair of 8131´s Moc Toes and they are still a bit stiff too and rubbing at my ankles and heels. A good Goodyear welted shoe may give you one or another blister but after it´s broken in it will fit the better. Clench you teeth and walk on... ;)

Undertow

Same here. I have the 8111 Iron Rangers. They were a D width, my usual size, and they required a bit of breaking in. After about a month of wearing them everywhere, they started softening up. I used he Red Wing Leather Dressing when scuffs would appear, and this application not only gave the leather a darker, richer look, but also softened the leather.

heboil

New in Town
UPDATE: After a week of wearing them around the office for 5 hours a day, the seam is not noticeable anymore. They have also started to mold to my feet. The only concern now is the toe box seems a little cramped. I am wondering how much that will ease up over the next while.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
It's a long way to get to a well-worn pair like this...not mine, btw. I'm not there yet with my Moc Toes and my Beckman.

DSC_1784.jpg

May your mind have patience and your feet endurance. :)

Edit: A friend of mine wore a pair of Moc Toes for one winter (one half year), more or less daily, and the leather itself really did get very soft - initially, I had had some doubts about it... lol.

Last edited:

RobT

New in Town
Red Wing 875

I had a problem with the stitching just below the top of each boot digging into my legs. I tried to grin and bear it to break the boots in; mistake!! I had cuts on both legs and this put me off the boots for a while.

In the meantime, I rubbed mink oil into the stitching and generally massaged the top of the boots with my fingers to get some flexibility into the boots. Result!! After initially only wearing the boots for an hour or so I worked up to wearing them all day.

They are now the most comfortable boots I have ever had the pleasure of owning and would strongly recommend patience.

One final point that has been made on previous discussions regarding sizing of the 875. In the UK the recommendation is to size up half to one full size.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
One final point that has been made on previous discussions regarding sizing of the 875. In the UK the recommendation is to size up half to one full size.

Getting the right size can be confusing to say the least. In Germany it is recommended to go DOWN one size! :eusa_doh: I would love to order a boot of another brand like White´s or Wolverine but which size would be the right one? :confused:

heboil

New in Town
Getting the right size can be confusing to say the least. In Germany it is recommended to go DOWN one size! :eusa_doh: I would love to order a boot of another brand like White´s or Wolverine but which size would be the right one? :confused:

Yep. I am down and size here in Canada as well.

RobT

New in Town
Red Wing 875

Doh! I meant to say that in the UK the recommendation is to size down, not up. Sorry for the confusion.

heboil

New in Town
OK... I am about to brave the elements in them. I have worn them around the office for a number of days now and they are starting to get very comfortable. I have read a bunch of posts all over the place about leather care. Just wondering if I need to do anything to them before I wear them out (ie. protectant or anything like that). I really like the color, and no matter what I put on them, I want to make sure I maintain that same color. I don't want to significantly darken the leather from oiling or change its overall color.

Thanks again.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
OK... I am about to brave the elements in them. I have worn them around the office for a number of days now and they are starting to get very comfortable. I have read a bunch of posts all over the place about leather care. Just wondering if I need to do anything to them before I wear them out (ie. protectant or anything like that). I really like the color, and no matter what I put on them, I want to make sure I maintain that same color. I don't want to significantly darken the leather from oiling or change its overall color.

Thanks again.

Just strap 'em on and get out there. Even though they're expensive and in vogue, they're still just work boots, no need to pamper them like a dress shoe.
Most waterproofing agents will slightly darken the leather.

Flat Foot Floey

I think mink oil or red wing boot oil are recommended but they will darken the leather. I would wait some time until the did get wet and dirty for the first time. then clean em with a cotton cloth and treat them with some of the oil stuff.

heboil

New in Town
OK. I have had them a month and they have become my favorite show in terms of comfort (it didn't actually take long to break them in). Unfortunately I have a problem with them and I fear I already know the answer. My seams on the moc toe are splitting and the glue between the two pieces of leather is seeping out (or something like glue... tacky like syrup but ultimately just rubs off my fingers). I have attached a picture. This is not normal, is it? If not, the pair will most likely be exchanged for a new pair by the store and I will need to break the new pair in all over again. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.

seam.jpg

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
There is one place on mine where the seam look kind of split too. Not as bad as yours and there is no glue seeping of it as well. i have no idea if this is tolerable in the first place. :confused: Please let us know what the dealer says.

Regarding the conditioning I don´t believe in thrashing the hell out of them before they receive a little oil. On the other hand I am not particular fond of "mink oil" and I am sure the poor minks don´t approve it as well. ;) Up to now I used leather grease or the famous german "Ballistol" oil (a natural white vegetable oil) on them with no ill effects.

Undertow

Glue, huh? I'd take it into the dealer. It could be normal wear for this model, or it could be a defect. Better to get it looked at now than after they split. Don't be shy, either. You put down good money for these boots, might as well be square before something significant happens to them.

heboil

New in Town
Unfortunately... yet fortunately... they returned my money. They didn't have my size in stock and said a repair looks out of the question. I will order them in again and go through the pain of breaking them in all over again. Hopefully this time the seam is better. I already miss the boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy