Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing vs. Chippewa Engineer Boots

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
I bought a pair of the 1901m48 for $160 on sale at Schott’s online. Been wearing them every day since they came in. I had to fashion some custom insoles for better arch support, but they are breaking in nicely. I like the shape and profile of them. Leather seems sturdy enough. And I really like the vibram sole.
3f1ada69e218a7117ba0ce57a6083bb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
It’s a shame about Chippewa. They used to be so well made and functional. I bought a pair of black leather, lace-up Chips in the early 90’s for my work as a paramedic. They had to protect my feet from what may happen while on duty. So, they had a steel shank and toes. They were built like tanks while they looked great at the same time. They saved my feet from many broken toes and from many nails and jagged pieces of metal penetrating the soles into my feet. At the same time, I received many compliments on them from colleagues and others.

A couple of years ago, I bought a pair, from their heritage line (or whatever it’s called), which were nice. I wanted some boots that looked as close to my old medic boots that I could find. These are well made, but I’d never expect any true protection from them.

I have three pair of Red Wings and have really been pleased with them, for “normal” use. My experience is that they’re very well made. They’d surely be my choice, these days.

- Ian

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
No, it's not cheap ,unfortunately in the world we live in the cost of many goods have increased and the taxes applied for importing them are a real steal as well !
I would have loved to be able to find some cheaper but the cheaper ones don't look as good or are not as well made ( at least to my taste ) .
When you see the Real Mc Coy that are 1400 ( or 1600 i don't remember ) to 2000$ ,you wonder how they could be used for riding motorcycles except for really wealthy people !
That said they seem to be nice and would love to have some but anyway the bigger size seems to stop at 10 !
And in USA ,people have been lucky to be able to find good deals on Chippewa or Red Wing, what you can't find in Europe !

Dphillip

Familiar Face
I own a couple pairs of Chippewa’s and the break has been brutal almost to the point of throwing them away in disgust. One pair has come around and are pleasant to wear but the others are just uncomfortable. It’s a shame because they are handsome boots. I think Red Wings might be in my future.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Redwings in my experience take about 16 hours of moving in to break in. That was the approx time for my Iron rangers and the pair of 9268 engineers i just bought. A totally unpleasant hour long walk nightly after dinner for 2 weeks and they now feel great. That is not to say that I didn’t want to walk home barefoot a few times.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a feeling the Canada West engineer is VERY comfortable, tough and good looking. Just a feeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
I own a couple pairs of Chippewa’s and the break has been brutal almost to the point of throwing them away in disgust. One pair has come around and are pleasant to wear but the others are just uncomfortable. It’s a shame because they are handsome boots. I think Red Wings might be in my future.

If you think Chippewa engineer boots take time to break in , you might be disapointed with Red Wing !
I have had several pairs of 27863 Chippewa since the late 80's, the black odessa oil tan leather doesn't take that long to break in ,even if it takes a few days but i tried some RW 2972 and the vamp and shaft leather seemed to be much harder and should take more time to break in !
I have not tried the 2268, so i don't know if the black chrome tan leather is as hard as the brown one though ; it might be softer although i hope it is as thick as i ordered some i should receive soon, to compare with my 27863 Chippewa ( the ones with the look i prefer over all the others ,even if the 2268 come close ).

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
Red Wing's engineer boots use thicker and better quality leather in my experience. The insole on the Red Wings that I have is leather while the insole on the Chipp's is a poron material. The poron insole is very comfortable but I'm not so sure on durability. The Chipp's I received had some stitching issues, the Red Wings did not. If paying full price I'd go for the Red Wings. The Chippewa's that I have I bought for $70 new shipped so at that price they were a good deal.

The Red Wing 2990's sound like what you might be looking for. The welt edge is brown but the sole is black so I'm not sure if that fits with what you're looking for. The Red Wing 2268's have a nicer looking heel IMO but are harder to find as I don't think they're made for the American market at this time.

If i remember well what's said on Chippewa 's website ,they use Texon insole but i recently read it was wrapped in leather , is that true ?

I always thought these boots had leather insole ,as seeing the quality of the vamp and shaft leather ,they would deserve that but now that i read all that i look inside those boots ,i wonder about it !
I also thought the midsole was leather ( as someone said it is for the 27899 although i don't know ) but i am not sure about it !
I wonder if it is possible to have them rebuilt with all leather insole and midsole but not sure it is possible to have that done in France ( and the cost of it ) and also if it might not make more holes in the leather ( if they don't sew it in the existing holes ) ,fragilizing the vamp.

Kane

One of the Regulars
Where are you guys finding your Red Wing engineer boots? The only engineer boot that I see offered by Red Wing is a model #988, and it does not look like a high quality traditional US made Red Wing boot. That’s all I’m seeing on the RW website.
Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
It always makes me smile that, around here, a £350+ pair of engineer boots is considered 'cheap'.

They do seem to be cheaper in the US (''made in the US" is the old "made in Japan" in terns of price-gouging in the UK). Course "cheap" is also relative. And let's not even grt into the fact that the average "cheap" pair these days is often better made than most originals back in the day (it's the A2 as ll over again).

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
Sincerly , i doubt most of the engineer made today in the 200-400 $ range ( not even speakîng about most of the cheaper ones ) and even'some more expansive ones , are better made than the original ones !
When you check original Chippewa made from the 50's to the 70's ,they were at least as well made as today if not better and i suppose it is the same thing for Red Wing !
Not even speaking about actual Harley Davidson ones that are made in China or a similar country whereas back in those days ,they were made by Chippewa in USA !
Santa Rosa were great engineer boots as well ,Buco and a few others and they were cheaper also , knowing workers would use them for work and not for fashion !
They used more leather for insoles / soles and heels ( somemight say the Texon insoles are more comfortable , i don't know ) .
And when you check Wesco's they were nailed down with a stitch as well whereas now they are not nailed anymore which gives them a different appearance ( although there might be some good and bad things about that .) .
Most nowdays engineer boots manufacturers just try to reproduce the engineer boots made back in those days and i don't even know if there is any material used that is of better quality than it was ( maybe the rubber but i am not even sure about that !) .
The only advantage of the actual Wesco is that they might be more waterproof the way they are built now ; maybe,not even sure.

Last edited:

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
Where are you guys finding your Red Wing engineer boots? The only engineer boot that I see offered by Red Wing is a model #988, and it does not look like a high quality traditional US made Red Wing boot. That’s all I’m seeing on the RW website.
Thanks!
They are the Red Wing Heritage serie 2268 /2972 with high heels and the two others with lower heels . And there is also the 2266 without steel toe.
There were some others available in Japan also i believe .

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
To add a few things to my previous post, that said ,the Wesco are great quality boots as well as some high end ones ( many made in Japan ) like Real Mc Coy / buco repros ( for that price ,they have to !) , Beck,Viberg ,and some others that seem well made as well ,like Mr Freedom,Clinch, Lofgren ,Attractions, Big Chief, Role Club ,Dappers..etc
And the Chippewa and Red Wing are still well made although thr quality control at Chippewa is not always great from what i have seen with some of their engineer and harness boots !
I saw some with badly cut soles, waving stitches ,some with stitching going south , badly glued heels...
But when they are well made they are really good and this is my favorite engineer boots look/ appearance ( for the toe shape ) with the Red Wing 's ,most others are too flat for me ( except Buco, Beck and some Wesco) .

Colin G

One Too Many
Just ordered a pair of RW 2966, 0.5 size larger than usual (2268 or 2968), let's see!

Regius, how did this work out for you? I am normally an 8 in Red Wing and can get some 2966 at a good price. I have heard to size up a 1/2 size so going by that, I'd need an 8 1/2.

Edward

Bartender
Sincerly , i doubt most of the engineer made today in the 200-400 $ range ( not even speakîng about most of the cheaper ones ) and even'some more expansive ones , are better made than the original ones !
When you check original Chippewa made from the 50's to the 70's ,they were at least as well made as today if not better and i suppose it is the same thing for Red Wing !
Not even speaking about actual Harley Davidson ones that are made in China or a similar country whereas back in those days ,they were made by Chippewa in USA !
Santa Rosa were great engineer boots as well ,Buco and a few others and they were cheaper also , knowing workers would use them for work and not for fashion !
They used more leather for insoles / soles and heels ( somemight say the Texon insoles are more comfortable , i don't know ) .
And when you check Wesco's they were nailed down with a stitch as well whereas now they are not nailed anymore which gives them a different appearance ( although there might be some good and bad things about that .) .
Most nowdays engineer boots manufacturers just try to reproduce the engineer boots made back in those days and i don't even know if there is any material used that is of better quality than it was ( maybe the rubber but i am not even sure about that !) .
The only advantage of the actual Wesco is that they might be more waterproof the way they are built now ; maybe,not even sure.

Depend s what your point of comparison is: the average boot from back when, or the ones that have survived (because they were better than average).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21