Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reduce Fuzziness of Borsalino Long Hair Felt?

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
I won a very nice silver-gray Borsalino on ebay. Well, it turns out that the felt is a long-hair type. This was not clearly evident in the auction photos. Anyway, I really do like the color of the hat, but I would like to eliminate the wild hairs. I have brushed the brim and crown of the hat and it looks great. But underneath the brim looks like a startled fur coat! I thought I read somewhere that you could use a fine sandpaper to eliminate this problem. Is that possible? Are there any other solutions? Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
You'd be better off finding a different hat than trying to mess with the finish on a vintage hat.

It's a hard lesson to learn if you go about it wrong and that sounds like a hat a lot of people would like. You might be surprised what someone would trade to get it and everyone would end up with a hat they love.

Just a thought ...

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Wait a MINUTE!

This just dawned on me!

When you brushed the hat, did you remember the felt lies the opposite direction on the top and bottom?

If you brushed the top and it looked good and then brushed the bottom of the brim in the same direction, all you did was stir up the long finish.
Brush the underside in the opposite direction and it may lay flat.

Hope that helps,

Sam

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Wait a MINUTE!

This just dawned on me!

When you brushed the hat, did you remember the felt lies the opposite direction on the top and bottom?

If you brushed the top and it looked good and then brushed the bottom of the brim in the same direction, all you did was stir up the long finish.

Hope that helps,

Sam
Great thought. Kudos.

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
Wait a MINUTE!

This just dawned on me!

Hope that helps,

Sam

Yes, I made certain that I brushed in opposite directions. The top side looked so nice, while the underside did not. That is why I was so puzzled. I definitely will not ruin the hat.

The best suggestion I have received so far is to start planning winter vacations in Chicago or New York so that I can wear the hat in style!!!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Not all longhairs brush in opposite directions top and bottom. Do not assume they do. You have to try and see how it lies. Some brush clockwise on the underside. A little moisture is helpful too. Dry static will attract the hairs.

EggHead

Practically Family
I agree, run you finger across the felt in various directions to feel the direction of the felt. Brush accordingly. You may need to brush lightly 5-10 times across the same spot to get the desired effect.
I have a hat where hairs are longer than normal, not sure if it's longhair or "mid-hair", I like brushing it against the grain to bring out the shine.

Not all longhairs brush in opposite directions top and bottom. Do not assume they do. You have to try and see how it lies. Some brush clockwise on the underside. A little moisture is helpful too. Dry static will attract the hairs.

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
I went in and brushed the underside of the brim in a counter-clockwise direction and the result was totally amazing. :eusa_clap The top and bottom now lie down exactly the same and the hat looks so very luxurious. :D This hat is definitely a keeper. Can't wait to show it off now. Thanks for the tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael