Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remembering the ladies of the ATA - Getty archive photos

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Reading the replies, I guise the article had a lot of errors in it, still, great photos! I may have meant one of those ladies! Back in the early 90s, we were flying an airshow in out North American SNJ5, we always let this local teenager stand on the wing and give tours. One day, an elderly couple showed up, I asked if he wanted to look in the cockpit, he said no but his wife would. I was a little suspicious, I helped her up onto the wing, she turned and said, "I sure would love to fly this," the teenager mouthed off, "lady, if you can start it, you can fly it!" She started laughing, and her husband was almost rolling on the ground! Turns out, she started the war delivering Tiger Moths, and finished flying Spitfires! I wish I had gotten her name, what a life.

Stand By

One Too Many
Good story, Stearmen! Ah, the arrogance of youth … :)

I know, there are readers comments about the story having errors - but nobody actually says what they are! I've read it over twice and can't see to what they are referring (besides the use of "Top Gun" under a photo - purely press fodder to , so there's that) - so if anyone can please enlighten me, I'd like to know what they are …

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Good story, Stearmen! Ah, the arrogance of youth … :)

I know, there are readers comments about the story having errors - but nobody actually says what they are! I've read it over twice and can't see to what they are referring (besides the use of "Top Gun" under a photo - purely press fodder to , so there's that) - so if anyone can please enlighten me, I'd like to know what they are …

I am not sure either? It may be a case of some hating women that can do what men do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80