Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remix Shoes!!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sunny, I think you're totally on the right track too, and I think all of Snookie's advice is great. I have been having the same debate as you, for the past 6 months. You are now motivating me to make up my mind and order a pair.
I think that brown would be a good neutral option for you, and unlike the lighter colors, it won't show much dirt.
I love all the models you have chosen, and agree with you about the Briarcliff. To me there is just something orthopedic looking to them. But, I have seen them on in person and they did look cute. IMO, the other options are just a bit cuter.
One of the pairs that I love are the Gloria. I'm not sure if bows are your thing, but I like that this bow is detachable. So for a more casual look during the day you can wear them plain, and add the bow for your dressier look. I'm sorry to throw another pair into the mix![huh]
If you don't get the Gloria's I'd go for the Village. They are just so cute, and they have great color combinations, but that's again just my opinion. I like the Picasso as well, and you are right they are a bit less adorned than the Village, so they will still look cute while not taking away from your outfit. They might go with more of your outfits too.:)
I wish I could help you out with sizing, but I don't own any yet:( I've been planning on calling the store and talking to them, I hear that they are very helpful, and that they might even be able to email pictures of shoes that they don't have on the website. I have seen a few pairs of Re-mix shoes on gals at several events that I hadn't seen on the website. They told me that they called the store directly. The store has many more options. So, if you're not completely satisfied with what you see on the web, just give them a call and tell them exactly what you're looking for. They might just have it. Spending this kind of money on a pair of shoes is like an investment, and I'm sure you won't just settle for something that's only part of what you want. So before you make any concrete decisions give the store a call, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, at least that is what I've been told by friends who have bought shoes from them in the past.
Good luck and let us know which pair you decide on:)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Sunny,

i really like the "maryjane" style!

i have the doublestrap bone/brown ones, and i always feel dressy when i wear them. also, i haven't worn them much because i always feel like they clash with stuff. so maybe something that's not two-tone would be a little more versatile.

i've found the wedgies to be pretty true-to-size, but haven't tried on their pumps.

Sunny

One Too Many
So brown it is! I do love two-tone stuff, but the consensus is that they're busier. I agree. I can see them with the denim, looking great; but with, say, my new strawberry-print shirtdress... nope, that wouldn't do it. They wouldn't clash, but the eye would jump from one to the other. Because they're bolder, they'd probably dominate a flower-print dress.

Daisy, I do like the Glorias, bow and all! That's my problem, though - that's exactly the kind of pump I like. Even without the bow, to me they 'read' dressy and not sandal-like. They'll have to go on my 'To Be Budgeted For' list along with the two-tones. ;) And I'm glad you agree about Briarcliffe. 'Orthopedic' is a very good word. I'm sure they're very comfortable, and I'd be fine with them if I was using them for living history. But if even my vintage-age eye reads them as old-style, what's my mother gonna think? :p

ShooShooBaby, that's precisely what I wanting to know about these shoes. If I feel dressy wearing them, I'm not going to be comfortable putting them with casual clothes; and I certainly won't like wearing them in casual situations. Which would be a shame, because that's really where I need them.

The other consensus is to ask about both other colors and other styles. Very good points; I'll be doing that.

Updated list:
  • Pleated toe - maybe, if a brown is available off-site
  • Maryjane - maybe, if brown is available. They look less sandal-like than the pleated toe. To me, sandals feel more casual than shoes with more leather, and I need these shoes to be quite casual if necessary.
  • Picasso - dark brown
  • Other styles - in brown

Miss_Bella_Hell

Just wanted to note that I am a 9.5, but tend to go down to size 9 more often than up to size 10 when the 9.5 doesn't fit. I wear a 10 in the Picasso wedges.

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Just wanted to note that I am a 9.5, but tend to go down to size 9 more often than up to size 10 when the 9.5 doesn't fit. I wear a 10 in the Picasso wedges.

Oh, that's interesting. If I'm in between in, say, the Picasso, I'd prefer to go down than up because they'll stretch larger. So you're saying that for wedges, or at least the Picasso, you go up a half size. Since I'm on a whole size to start with, would you recommend staying with that?

Miss_Bella_Hell

Sunny said:
Oh, that's interesting. If I'm in between in, say, the Picasso, I'd prefer to go down than up because they'll stretch larger. So you're saying that for wedges, or at least the Picasso, you go up a half size. Since I'm on a whole size to start with, would you recommend staying with that?

What size do you wear in say, Steve Madden shoes? I'm a 9 in those. I might be like a 9.25 :rolleyes: But I hear a whole size up is normal. It's hard to say. But you can always return them, can't you?

Snookie

Practically Family
My Picassos are true to size. I've got size 8, which I usually wear. (I did buy them about 4 years ago, but I doubt the sizing has changed...)

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Sizing

If you have any doubts about your size in a given model just given them a call. They're very helpful and will tell you what runs large or small.

I own the babydolls and have been forever torn over what to buy next! Just too many I'd like to have to narrow it to one!

Honey Doll

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
What size do you wear in say, Steve Madden shoes? I'm a 9 in those. I might be like a 9.25 :rolleyes: But I hear a whole size up is normal. It's hard to say. But you can always return them, can't you?

Weelll, I've never tried Steve Madden shoes. :D But when I say I wear a perfect 9, I mean that every 8.5 I've tried or bought was too short (my long big toe ran into the end) and every 9.5 was always too big (I slid around). I have never even tried a pointy-toed pair, which I've heard ought to be bought a half-size larger. It's possible, though, that because all my other toes are just little and short, I might be fine with a regular pair even in those.

I will definitely be asking for advice when I call! Snookie, thanks especially for the tip on the Picassos. I'm feeling not only more confident on what I'm getting, but now I'm excited! I can't wait to get these shoes. :)

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
I just bought a black pair of the twin strap 1940's wedgies and theyre comfortable and all but they are the only shoes of mine that dye my beige vintage seamed stockings black on the bottom. The expensive price and this little problem are my only qualms about remix shoes. :(

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I bought the Greta shoe in luggage brown. They are lovely but I don't think they really suit me so they may go on e-b*y!
My only really niggles are
A) Price-even when bought in the UK they are waaaay overpriced
b) the colour is nothing like the pics on the website.

Comfy though.....;)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think they've mucked up the picture on the site. The pic of "luggage brown" is the red, the luggage brown is, well, brown!

I boought a pair of the L'amour wedges, unfortunately they have broken, so back they go! First problem in 3 pairs and a year of almost daily wear though.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Also, Kitty, you can get Aris Allens for cheaper and they look virtually the same but are £30 cheaper.

IMG_0186.jpg

From www.rocketoriginals.co.uk.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
At the Deco show some time back, Re-Mix had a booth and I got to try on a lot of different styles. Im normally a 9 1/2, but they only had whole sizes a 10 was too big, and a 9 was real snug, but it would stretch, so something to consider if you are gonna get a pair. :eek:

LD

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I adore ReMix shoes, especially for dancing in! I wear a size 8 normally and I have a wide foot at the ball, the strap type shoes never work well for me, but the more enclosed shoes are perfect, and it all has to do with the fact they stretch so much. For instance, I recently bought a pair of Gloria's and I had to tighten the back strap two holes by the end of the night! My Open Toed Spectators stretched as well, but they are easy to tighten with the laces. My next pair might just be the Greta's for the simple reason that they stretch and tighten good enough with laces.

I had a pair of the Rugcutters and they hurt my feet, I don't know how anyones dances in them. But everyone I know seems to love theirs.

My friend just bought Aris Allen's 30's black velvet Oxfords, and she said they were cushiony and super comfy, she also got the 40's mesh oxfords, but hasn't tried them dancing yet. Oh and they are sueded soles, so that might make a difference.

And I figure, any shoe that is comfortable enough to dance all night in, is definitely good enough to wear everyday. And the Rugcutters (if you prefer them) are not sueded, so even better for everyday wear. Now if only the Remix were as affordable as the Aris Allen's! ;)

Oh yah, and as far as their colors go...sometimes what they show on the site are not the correct colors, and they have varying shades of brown, and tons more colors, even stitching on the colors sometimes in the store. The people that work there are super duper nice and helpful, and if you contact them they'd tell you what colors they have.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Cheers fleur! I'm on the waiting list for a pair of rugcutters from a dance shop here in the UK.
I quite fancy the mesh low heeled shoe too.

Re the luggage brown, yes they posted the wrong pic-but I had noticed it and looked at another style in luggage brown. It looked a lot darker and on arrival they are kind of a pale fudgey brown.
Nice shoes but like I say...not really me!
[huh]

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
I have the Aris Allen's 30's black velvet Oxfords too. They have these shoes also in size 11 (I have giant feet). And they are really very comfy. But I wouldn't buy them if I had wide feet.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
LadyDeWinter said:
I have the Aris Allen's 30's black velvet Oxfords too. They have these shoes also in size 11 (I have giant feet). And they are really very comfy. But I wouldn't buy them if I had wide feet.

Good to know! My Friend that got hers has wears the same size as me, so I'll get to try them before I buy them. ;) I hope they fit well though, because they are sure cute! Although in the back of my head.. I'm just knowing that my feet were meant for Remix, not AA.. of course..the more expensive one, right? Always..[huh]

kerry

One of the Regulars
Sorry, not really about Remix shoes but about shoes. I want to get a pair of the aris allen rugcutters for everday wear but cant decide between red or white? I have size uk7 feet and quite thin ankles, will the white make my feet look huge?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I don't think the white will make your feet look huge at all. My friend wears vintage wedgies that look alot like the rugcutters all the time, and her feet look normal. My other friend has the rugcutters in bone, and they look normal as well. But I woudl ahve a hard time making that decision, since red is my favorite color and well, white shoes are a thing of beauty!;) Either way, you'll have some pretty feet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points