Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remove your hat?

Magus

Practically Family
Sound pretty good Pilgrim. Though I would add that I have been known to wear a hat while at my desk to cut the overhead glare from the florescent bulbs.

I also suppose I might do the same if I were in a particularly Sam Spade or Film Noir mood...Thinking of:

"...as the storm struck my office door opened. She was a leggy brunette, in a red dress, the face of an angel and a walk the originated from somewhere well south of heaven..."

M

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
It's a possibility...

Pilgrim, your basic guidelines fit mine to a tee. Another common condition here in south Fla that may not be de riguer in CO is the plethora of restaurants and bistros that offer al fresco dining. My spin is, before dining or after dining outdoors but on a patio or under a canopy, the lid may (not must) be off. While food is on table, lid off is the rule for me. Just my 2 cents...

My anecdote:

I was visiting DC in January, so I decided to drop by the Georgetown Hattery. I had taken off my lid as I entered (a gray vintage Adam - Bianchi) and placed it on the counter near the Borsalinos where I was perusing teh great variety of lids on the shelves. I can't remember if it was Vincent or Anthony that came over to assist me, but we shook hands exchanged greetings, and he deftly demonstrated the crushability of the traveling Borsalino. As he went to putit back on the shelf, he picked up the Adam, presumably to place it back on the stack with the similar Borsalinos. He flipped it over and looked at the lining and said, "Oh, this must be yours!?", and I replied "Yes, that's close to what I'm looking for". He gave it a quick 360 and said, "That's a great hat. They really don't make 'em like that anymore". Apologetically, I declined to buy the Borsalino (he actually offered a nice discount when the Lounge came into the conversation), but he was a friendly sort of fellow, and we chatted for a bit about hats, the cost of primo Panama bodies, and the Lounge.

The moral being, if you're wearing a vintage lid in a hattery, you can take it off without fear of mistaken identity!:eusa_clap

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
THE ULTIMATE QUESTION FOR THIS THREAD

DO YOU WEAR A LID WHILE YOU'RE ONLINE AT THE FEDORA LOUNGE??

...moved from my 'oops' on the stingies thread...

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Hat Etiquette

For what it's worth, here is an 'old school' guide to hat etiquette. However, I think most of this comes from when proper facilities were made available to care for a nice hat. I keep mine with me when dining, on the seat next to me. I'd rather gaze into a beautiful woman's eyes across from me anyway.

PORTIONS EXCERPTED FROM EVIL SWEDE'S GUIDE TO PROPER HAT ETIQUETTE, THE "COWBOY CHRONICLE" & THE ESSENTIAL HANDBOOK OF VICTORIAN ETIQUETTE

There are two degrees of politeness demonstrated by a gentleman wearing a hat:
1. Lifting or tipping it, which you generally do for strangers.
2. Taking it off, which you generally do for friends (or in some cases, as a sign of patriotism or reverence).
Both are done as a sign of respect toward the other and dignity toward oneself.

Tipping your hat is a conventional gesture, done by barely lifting it off your head with your right hand (or the left hand if the right hand is occupied): By the crown of a soft hat, or the brim of a stiff one. Your cigarette, pipe or cigar should always be taken out of your mouth before removing or tipping your hat. This is a subtle gesture that should not be confused with bowing.

A man takes off his hat outdoors (and indoors):
1. When he is being introduced to someone, or when saying goodbye to a woman, elder, friend or ;
2. As a greeting when passing someone he knows, particularly a lady, on the street (In some cases, tipping or lifting a hat and bowing slightly may be used as a substitute for removing a hat, as a passing gesture);
3. While talking, particularly with a woman, an older man, or a clergyman;
4. While the National Anthem is being played, or the American Flag is passing;
5. At a funeral or in the presence of a passing funeral procession,
6. When speaking to another of a virtuous woman or a dearly departed loved one.

A man tips or lifts his hat:
1. When walking with a friend who passes a woman only the friend knows;
2. Any time a lady who is a stranger thanks you for some service or assistance;
3. Any time you excuse yourself to a woman stranger, such as if you accidentally disturb or jostle her in a crowd, or when you ask for pardon when passing in a tight space or when forced to walk between two people that are conversing, particularly if one is a woman;
4. Any time a stranger shows courtesy to a woman you are accompanying, such as when a man or woman picks up something she has dropped, or a man opens a door for her or gives her his seat;
5. When you ask a woman (or an elderly man) for directions.

Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, courtroom or restaurant) except:
1. In some public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;
2. In the main parlor area of a saloon or general store;
3. or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;
4. In entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;
5. In elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;
6. If carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.
7. If the man is an actor or performer and the hat is being worn as a part of a costume or performance.

If in doubt, it is best for a gentleman to remove his hat indoors as soon as practical. It is considered a sign of contempt and/or disrespect to leave your hat on when it would be proper to remove it. These rules of course applied in the day when everyone wore hats. Rebelious liberals in the early 1960s began the movement of no hats, following the example of then President Kennedy. Today, hats do not signify a political stance, and do not signify RULES. However, there are times when it would seem appropriate to remove your hat. Today, hats, sunglasses, etc are accepted to be worn anywhere, anytime. What you wear and when you wear it are part of your individuality, and that's why hats are today again increasing in popularity. If everyone wore a hat, it really wouldn't be special, would it?

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Am I the only one who finds tipping a hat to be a long winded embarrassing affair?
I never do it. I find a nod enough, or at most a finger touching the brim in a little salute.
Also lifting the crown in a pinch damages the hat in the long run, and the brims too floppy to lift the hat in a convincing way....

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
So what if you're in the mall or shopping in a department store?

When I was in the military, I wore a hat as part of the uniform, and our rule was as soon as you broke the plane of the door going outside, the hat should be on and likewise it came off when coming through the door coming inside. So I got quite used to taking my hat on and off when going inside/outside. With a fedora, it would be a pain to carry it around when shopping or walking through the mall.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
edlin...i agree with you about going into a shopping mall and trying to carry a hat and coat in my area.

Society has become so loose with no rules that I believe you could wear a backwards cap to a barmitsva !!!!

As I take in all these rules, I am starting to apply them to my application in the sales world. I joined the FL in pursuit of finding good hats and the advice of many to assist me in my profession. In Southeast Missouri, alot of folks are not wearing hats, as such in the other parts of the country. Until the two hats that I have on order come in, I am wearing a crushable minnie tonka "country" hat.

So far, my customers don't care. One of my good customers came in yesterday and teased me about the hat, but they would tease me anyway about something. One of the salespeople asked the others "why does Mark wear that heavy bomber jacket ? My buddy (the other comedain of the group) said, "Why does he wear that hat ?"....it 40 degrees out yesterday around here....i work with such an intelligent bunch....

I usually use the same rule about going in and out of the building by taking it off or putting it on.

Once in a while I will keep in on while I run in to get to something quickly and back out again. When I have to walk down the lot to meet folks walking our inventory, I usually will greet both with the same greeting. This is because of equality and I don't want to offend anyone. I try to have impeccable manners anyway, but the hat adds another dimension to this. I greet both with good handshake but with my left hand I will touch the brim and tip my head to the lady and say "_____it is nice to meet you." I present her with a business card and then turn to the husband and give him one, too and write down there names...

I may have said this before, but recently I walked into a Steak n Shake (not my ideal resturant, but my son loves it) with several caps in the room. Of course someone walks in with a hat and the stares are instantaneous. I remove my hat when I step in.because I am about to be seated. You can see it in the eyes of the elders that they appreciate manners. One of the cap wearers took off his cap, then. My son takes off his cap, too.

Out of habit already, when I step into a shopping place, I will remove my hat at the front door, but as soon as I get involved with picking up stuff, it goes back on my head. It's hard no to do it this way.

These are just some recent observations about myself and others as I break in my area to a comitted hat wearer...by the way, I haven't been sunburned in over 2 weeks anymore, either...

mark the shoeshine boy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred