Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing hat box ring from the brim

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Just received a close-to-new, in correct box, Stetson 3X Selv-Edge , with the main detractor being a fairly pronounced box-ring on the brim. Any methods for minimizing the unsightliness on a medium gray felt? I have brushed lightly as with normal dusting, but did not want to use a stiff bristled device until I checked with the authorities!

Needless to say, I would rather have a slight ring from the box than a big, nasty lighter or darker area around the crown.

Thanks in advance, as usual!

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Hi, jamespowers! Thanks for the suggestion, but...

If you check out my recent reply to Snrbfshn's thread about his Stetson Melrose, and wrecking the sweatband, you can see the grisly details of the results when steam and I get that close to the inner edge.:rolleyes:

No, I have had the lid about 1 hour, it fits nicely, so I will give it a while before messing with it. I was hoping for some suggestions involving soft toothbrushes and miracle beaver smoothing serum since I always seem to find interesting solutions to such issues here on the lounge...thanks to everyone!

PutALidOnIt said:
Hi, jamespowers! Thanks for the suggestion, but...

If you check out my recent reply to Snrbfshn's thread about his Stetson Melrose, and wrecking the sweatband, you can see the grisly details of the results when steam and I get that close to the inner edge.:rolleyes:

How close to the sweatband is it? Any pictures yet?
I always put my hand behind the area where the steam is going to make sure that it doesn't damage anything behind it. If its too hot for your hand it is too hot for the hat trimmings. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Oh, I see what you mean. It isn't all that bad but you could probably steam it out---CAREFULLY. ;) The felt will probably just return to the flat surface around it. Shouldn't be much of a problem. Work in sections and see how it works before going over the whole thing though. ;)

Regards to all,

J

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Will moistening it cold do anything? I mean, get it moist (cool or steam), then brush it? Or, just moisten and the nap will come back up??? If it will just come up naturally, I may give the 'way off the heat of the steam' a try. Whaddya think?

Thanks!:cheers1:

You could try the cold water but I think steam may work better and faster. You will have to wait until the hat dries whether you use steam or cold water (I know which one dries first ;) ) before you brush it and try to nap it back up. Make sure the hat is brushed as cleanly as possible because dust turns to mud when it gets wet.

Regards to all,

J

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the info, jamespowers!

I'll give it a try this weekend. I'm either fearless or just stupid...heh heh heh!

As an aside, my Stetson boxes have simple rolled cardboard oval insert, whereas the cheaper Mallory box (probably 60's or 70's vintage has the "daisy flare top and wuold never leave a sharp mark...hmmm...

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Turn a terry towel to this puppy.

Take a terry cloth towel, like a new bar towel. Wet it with very hot water, and wring it out. With the hat placed on the kitchen table or counter, wipe the area of the ring mark in a counter clockwise direction, pressing firmly, like you would to rub out a wine stain on your table cloth! Then use a gentle flow of steam from the stove kettle NOT TOO CLOSE. The steam loosens the fur felt.

Then use a light hat brush and counter clockwise again brush the brim.

If you LOVE the hat, and it fits well, then I'd personally send it to be professionally cleaned. I also would change the ribbon. I don't like the rear pleated bow. I had a that with that. Not often seen, it was a fashion change. I prefer the usual butterfly bow on the side.

You scored a nice hat. Lemme know what happens!

Fedora

Vendor
I find those rings come out with a hand held clothes steamer. You can direct the steam in the right spot. I have never seen one of these rings that would not come out with just steam, and then a counter clockwise brushing with a brim brush, or even the softer crown brush. Fedora

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
P.S. Andykey

I tend to agree with you Andykey; the rear bow is not exactly classic. I got another really strangely blocked one in a batch of hats a while back...the rear bow does seem a bit "girly" to me, but this Stetson wears it better...OK, not that great! I should post a pic of the abomination just for the amusement of the lounge members...maybe this weekend.

BTW, what month of what year was the rear bow in fashion??[huh]
I saw one in one of the '40's Thin Man movies, but that's about it...

Chief_Izzy

New in Town
Chief_Izzy

To get that hat box ring out of the hat you need to invest in a steamer, like a Conair and two good hat brushes. First you rush the hat in a counter clock wise direction, to get the dust off. Then let the steamer pump out a steady flow of steam to the hat ring. Brush the area counter clock wise again, until the ring is gone. If it hasn't apply more steam and repeat brushing. Watch out for the steamer or you'll have a mushroom not a hat! Good luck pal.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Thanks Chief!

As you can see earlier in the thread, I'm a known lummox when I get steam and leather together, but I think the idea of the "cool steam" device might be a good way to go for me...

varga49

One of the Regulars
Back Bow

Very Nice Hat! I second Andykev's advice! FYI there are more than a couple of 1st class hatters as well as regular contributing members in this forum who are fair and honest! Send your prize to one of them if you don't have a good local hatter. I have a beautiful dark brown Mallory that I won on Ebay recently. It dates to somewhere in the 40's. It too has a back bow. I'm leaving it "as is" because of the hats excellent condition and uniqueness. Since I've made it my daily hat I might rethink the back bow when I send it in for cleaning in a couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner