Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Report from the mountains

WH1

Practically Family
More pictures from Montana elk hunt last week

Most of the hunt was at an elevation between 7400 and 8400 feet. Lots of crawling up mountains!
Montana.jpg
Montana5.jpg
Montana3.jpg
Montanasunset.jpg
Montana9.jpg
Montana2.jpg

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Not a fan of sub .30 bullets when the receiving critter gets over 500 lbs., despite being a devoted O'Connor reader as I was coming up. Yeah, they'll do the job when you put 'em right but I just like the extra edge the extra weight and frontal area give me. To be honest, if I were to hunt elk, something that isn't too likely, I'd go for my .318 WR. 250 grains of roundnose softpoint at around 2500 ft. sec. will go in and right through making an unholy mess of all the organs in between.

WH1

Practically Family
Two years ago I packed my Whitworth .375 H&H on those same mountains. It was a workout but I had purchased it during my last deployment so decided to try it out. Used 260 Grain Nosler Accubonds. Took a nice mule deer buck with it at around 250 yards. Despite numerous opinions from my fellow hunters, that combination did a fine job of dropping the animal in his tracks and did not damage the meat anymore than my 300 Win Mag.

In Oregon I hunted a .270 for years. I shot within the limits of the round and placed my shot carefully so I never had any issues on any animal including a couple of cow elk.

WH1

Practically Family
Good one Renault thanks for sharing it makes me long for the mountain country.

are you hunting this year?

I have (2) elk tags, Montana and Arizona. Can't wait. I went out to scout the Arizona tag and saw 25-30 bulls, hopefully they will be there come October!

Renault

One Too Many
Looks like I will miss Fall in the Rockies this year. Was hoping to sneak in a hunt for 3rd rifle elk, Colorado with the sons. But several current family health issues have taken priority. Mebbe next year.

I will get in a weekend or two here possible. As for you, here's to a great and safe hunt is your camp!!!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
... and I remembered this poem by Robert Service. Please allow me to share it with you!

Service also scribed the poem, The Men Who Don't Fit In:

There is a race of men who don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And roam the world at will.

In my reckless youth this scratched the soul and conscience. :eek:

...anybody track Nebraska bison? Understand tag not needed for cornhusker buffalo.
Almost stopped for a buffalo steak this afternoon and pondering the possibility....:coffee:

DesertDan

One Too Many
I have (2) elk tags, Montana and Arizona. Can't wait. I went out to scout the Arizona tag and saw 25-30 bulls, hopefully they will be there come October!

Congratulations!
What area of AZ? October should still be in the rut so they should still be around. Hard to be sure, there is quite a bit of variation over the northern areas and the fires haven't helped I'm sure. With the heat and dry we've had it wouldn't surprise me to still find them fairly active.

Elk is my favorite hunt but due to a number of factors I have not put in for the draw for quite a number of years. I hope to get back into it next year. Until then, I'll get ready for bird season which should be getting started in early Sept.

Good Hunting!

WH1

Practically Family
Drew a special military tag for Camp Navajo, active duty, retired and wounded in the draw. I am looking forward to it as I haven't had a chance to hunt Arizona before.

Renault

One Too Many
Funny you should mention those three!!! Some folks say there's a piece of literature that changes their life. Or outlook on things. For me it it was London's "Martin Eden".

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I've never stalked bison. My one example was a ranch hunt in Wyoming and to be honest it isn't something I will ever do again. Even supposing that stalking the brute is more interesting than sneaking up on one in a pasture, whatin'ell do you do with that much meat? I swear, even giving it away in quantity it took my wife and I almost two years to consume the entire thing and all I shot was a cow. Now if you live in a area famous for its block parties or have a really big extended family, it might make better sense.:D

Renault

One Too Many
There's lots of meat on one of them critters. My aunt buys half a bison every year. All she eats in the way of a bovine type creature. Has a big walk in cooler there on the ranch. Usually half an elk in there too!
But in my opinion that's the best way to get one. From one of the buff ranches there in eastern Colorado, western Kansas/Nebraska that raise the critters specifically for that purpose.

If you've never been involved involved in the preparation and butchering of a creature this size, it's not for the faint of heart or weak of back.

pompier

Familiar Face
Pineapple shrimp, coconut shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew.....

Yep, what to do with all that meat. In my case a good sized white tail doe ended up in the freezer at my fire house. We had an organized mess (like most fire stations) and it was put to good use. It did get to be a bit like Forrest Gump though...... venison stew, venison burritos, grilled venison, chile verde venison, venison posole......
Lasted the better part of six months. My crew never wanted venison again.:D

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I've never stalked bison. My one example was a ranch hunt in Wyoming and to be honest it isn't something I will ever do again. Even supposing that stalking the brute is more interesting than sneaking up on one in a pasture, whatin'ell do you do with that much meat?

Surfed the net for plains hunt outfits that offer combo deals such as buffalo and deer or turkey.
Bison meat can be donated to charity, with the ranch processing and distributing, while head/horn trophy taxidermy can be sourced out.
As I am chained to the proverbial desk and buried under files for the next five or six months at this stage I feel as though its all star wishing. But I will stake my wish to Orion nonetheless and hope for a break in routine.:)

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
Pompier, mon ami!

That's my issue. No one here anymore to eat what I harvest. I have 6 wild shoats in the freezer now. But they are small and I can manage to BBQ one on occasion. But the wife cannot eat venison or elk because of its richness. Really messes up her blood INR level. She ate a small piece of elk at sons a while back and went straight to her gout. All caused by heart failure!!! And she loves the stuff.

Too much iron! Last deer I took I gave to My coworker. Last elk got shared about 10 ways! :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112