Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repro 1930s Sears Original Hercules jackets; whose is best?

Whose is the best Sears Original Hercules repro?

• Total voters

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love these ads not least because it's interesting that the intended period-correct length for one on someone my height is apparently 27.5"–a number that to many of us (myself included) would look too high by itself.

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
Here’s a nice original Sears Hercules for sale at Mushroom Vintage; too rich for me but it’s nice to look at:

https://vintage-mushroom.net/?pid=173170797

FE3F0E96-8BE4-4652-8F15-42A2705DD0EF.jpeg

BB3C6F69-08CE-4703-AF95-0D1C0AC8CF3D.jpeg

9EE9E9E8-413B-41F7-B498-F7F7C2437684.jpeg

I tried searching for both of these patent numbers but didn’t come up with anything; even went through all patents with Sears as an assignee from the ‘30s but nothing:

22F76B79-23AD-40CA-B4FB-58971DFC7D3D.jpeg

D99411A6-4790-405E-B270-7FACEE337D4F.jpeg

31475999-85B1-460D-B3D3-1D27191BDF69.jpeg

31475999-85B1-460D-B3D3-1D27191BDF69.jpeg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Here’s a nice original Sears Hercules for sale at Mushroom Vintage; too rich for me but it’s nice to look at:

https://vintage-mushroom.net/?pid=173170797

View attachment 494170

View attachment 494171

View attachment 494172

I tried searching for both of these patent numbers but didn’t come up with anything; even went through all patents with Sears as an assignee from the ‘30s but nothing:

View attachment 494173

View attachment 494178

View attachment 494179

View attachment 494180
Lovely, @tmitchell59, any guess as to the age of this beauty? The label with patent numbers is interesting.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The Iconic Hercules was first shown in the 1935 catalog and continued in some variation until WWII shortages limited production. Maybe a 8 year run.

The first zippers were the Talon grommet zippers, this zipper was replaced around 1937 with the Sunrise Talon. Most of these jackets I have seen, have a Ball and Chain pocket zipper. This jacket has a large "Olympic ring" pull to celebrate the 1936 Olympics. Interesting I have this pull on jackets in 1941. As noted in the description, the large pull is unusual, but they show up.

I would date the jacket around 1939/40.

The patented inner collar was held by Roughwear Clothing Co. (@Claybertrand found the patent application. I have lost the reference. ) Roughwear was a large producer of leather garments. Mostly known for their military contracts.

It was my understanding that Monarch of Milwaukee produced these Iconic jackets. This patent information questions that.

Does anyone question why this jacket is so Iconic? I did and I think I figured it out. That is another discussion.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone question why this jacket is so Iconic? I did and I think I figured it out. That is another discussion.
Please do a video. I don't know why the Herc is so iconic and gets the big full page for advertising while the other styles gets crammed 6 or more per page in the catalog. My best guess was that Sears got a super deal on them from the manufacturer, kinda like how Costco does those 7 dollars roast chickens. Lost leaders they say to bring in the customers, but it's a catalog sale, so I don't get the lost leader part on that as there is no foot traffic. A lot of bro science went into the marketing like freeze test and so on, I am sure the other jackets were built the same quality just the Herc got the marketing exposure. FWIW, it's a nice design. Maybe it was penned by one of the top brass at Sears and it was a ego thing? So many possibilities.

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
The main reason why it’s so iconic is probably two-fold:

1. The back design. It’s probably the best half-belt back design out there, at least in my opinion, and it’s prominently illustrated in the catalog listings. Sears even lists it as a “fancy back”, so if they were to choose one half-belt model to pour extra features into, it would be the fancy one.

2. Hercules model of anything Sears put out (overalls, work shirts, etc.) was usually the best model in its category, so it got more catalog space dedicated to it.

Of course we don’t know about the internal politics that went on behind the scenes.

@Claybertrand , do you know which patent numbers those are? I tried every combination but couldn’t find them.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Please do a video. I don't know why the Herc is so iconic and gets the big full page for advertising while the other styles gets crammed 6 or more per page in the catalog. My best guess was that Sears got a super deal on them from the manufacturer, kinda like how Costco does those 7 dollars roast chickens. Lost leaders they say to bring in the customers, but it's a catalog sale, so I don't get the lost leader part on that as there is no foot traffic. A lot of bro science went into the marketing like freeze test and so on, I am sure the other jackets were built the same quality just the Herc got the marketing exposure. FWIW, it's a nice design. Maybe it was penned by one of the top brass at Sears and it was a ego thing? So many possibilities.
Actually, Costco loses money on their chickens. They offer them for that price to get people into the stores. It works. I love their chicken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner