Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

REPRODUCTION: 1910s waist-seam suit

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Several years ago, I became fascinated with waist-seam suits, a strange marriage of a lounge suit and a body coat that was a popular young men's style for a hot minute in the 1910's.

I had recently met the folks at Bykowski Tailor & Garb in Austin, and we worked together to come up with a M2M pattern based on a waist-seam suit. What you see is the end result. Turns out to be too daring for me. Perhaps it will be your cup of tea.

The suit is cut from a rustic gray donegal tweed of the best quality, with multi-colored knops sprinkled throughout. The quality is first-rate modern construction done in Hong Kong, full canvas and all that stuff. The coat is longer than usual and boasts the aforementioned waist-seam positioned on the high side of the natural waist, a correspondingly high closely grouped two-button stance, peak lapels with fishmouths, strongly slanted slash pockets and a deep center vent that travels all the way up to the waist, as was common in the 1910s. The five button vest has four piped pockets and pocket flaps on the bottom two pockets. The trousers have no belt loops, a button fly, brace buttons affixed to the outside of the waistband, and side tab adjusters. Note the very high rise (my pet deviation from the source material), and the narrow width at the cuff. The suit is in pristine condition.

I am asking $250.00 plus the cost of shipping

Approximate measurements are as follows:
COAT
Shoulders: 16.5 inches
Pit to Pit: 18.5 inches
Waist (at button point): 17.5 inches
Sleeve length: 25 inches
Jacket length: 31 inches

WAISTCOAT
Shoulders: 12 inches
Pit to Pit: 18 inches
Front length: 23.5 inches