Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Again, not a question of shoulds. The question is more, are designers and marketers - Japanese or American - going to cater to it to the extent a niche look could build into a meaningful market trend?

I say let's don't hold our breath. There may very well be a basic esthetic principle at work here that they care about more than we do, and that says "No."

I wish there weren't, but I have my doubts.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Fletch, I get what you're saying in respect of the generic proportions and the cut of these garments -- based on the idea of a spare-framed individual of a particular kind. But it should, and indeed would, be possible for a relatively wide load like me, for example -- 46" chest and 38" waist -- to wear stuff like this and look good, if the proportions were made right for that kind of frame, which isn't unusual.

I think you're right to infer that it's about more than just sizing up the pattern. The effect of the sizing up has to be considered, otherwise you'd end up with monster garments.

Is there a market for this stuff? Sure. Buzz Rickson's are already scaling up their sizes. If the proportions are right, it works just fine. It's only a matter of time before someone cottons on and stuffs the niche with larger-size workwear. If they build it, we will come. In a manner of speaking. :eek:

Feraud

Bartender
Hey mike, I think you are correct. Anything short of the people who are actually producing and buying the stuff saying why they do it, we are engaging in pure speculation. It's fun but pure speculation. ;)

mike

Call Me a Cab
I know the guy that runs e-workers said that before he cut his shirt sleeves shorter for a Japanese consumer, now that more people from outside of Japan are interested, he is offering his stuff larger/longer.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Hey mike, I think you are correct. Anything short of the people who are actually producing and buying the stuff saying why they do it, we are engaging in pure speculation. It's fun but pure speculation. ;)

Sure! As far as we know, they are all really just robots that were turned off and abandoned several generations ago. Somehow they were able to activate themselves and are now attempting to recreate what their grand creators wore at the time of their inception!!! :eek:

master_mystery01.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
mike said:
I know the guy that runs e-workers said that before he cut his shirt sleeves shorter for a Japanese consumer, now that more people from outside of Japan are interested, he is offering his stuff larger/longer.
That is what I am talking about mike! It's (mostly) supply and demand influenced. :)

mike said:
Sure! As far as we know, they are all really just robots that were turned off and abandoned several generations ago. Somehow they were able to activate themselves and are now attempting to recreate what their grand creators wore at the time of their inception!!! :eek:
and THAT is how you speculate! lol
;)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I think the
Repro-Vintage-Americana-clothing-in-Japan thing
is beyond fashion. The leather flight jacket fans among us will no doubt remember that the vintage American workwear has been sold alongside the flight jackets, since we all first became acquainted with RMC, BR, et al.

I reckon that the classic workwear stuff is must-have collectible, repro-time capsule stuff.
Fashion is the area of cross-over into mainstream.

I haven't expressed myself effectively here, I'm on my way out the door...
Know what I mean?

B
T

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Picked this jacket up today, from Evisu out of Japan :eek:
Actually, this particular piece is "Tailored in Italy".
It's made of of what feels like a thin, rigid denim. Check out the buckleback.
IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

I'd like to change the buttons (they say Evisu). Any suggestions?

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Well... I found the Japanese Clothing Vintage American Conglomerate
http://www.toyo-enterprise.co.jp/

I put in a call to them, I got family in the import business *lightbulb*, so I called them...and I found out some very saddening news...History Preservation Associates has an Exclusivity Contract. But they are looking for sugar cane retailers.

I seriously think that some of us should make up a company and start repoping this stuff, theres money to be made, and it will help our economy with a workforce...but of course this is the pipe dream dream of 18 yr old whose been turning $1 into $20s since he was in 7th grade.

mattfink

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Picked this jacket up today, from Evisu out of Japan :eek:
Actually, this particular piece is "Tailored in Italy".
It's made of of what feels like a thin, rigid denim. Check out the buckleback.
IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

I'd like to change the buttons (they say Evisu). Any suggestions?

Killer jacket! Did you get it on-line?

mattfink

Practically Family
flat-top said:
I found it at a Century 21 in NJ. There were matching pants that I missed out on.

That looks like an interesting store...couldn't find any of the stuff they were stocking on their website. Am I missing something?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mattfink said:
That looks like an interesting store...couldn't find any of the stuff they were stocking on their website. Am I missing something?
Well, think TJ Maxx but ALL designer stuff. I think that each store would have different stock. The stuff comes in "assorted" according to the price tickets, so there's rarely a complete run of anything.

mattfink

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Well, think TJ Maxx but ALL designer stuff. I think that each store would have different stock. The stuff comes in "assorted" according to the price tickets, so there's rarely a complete run of anything.

How would you even know what they have then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav