Reproduction classic workwear

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Matt Deckard, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

Lucky find on ebay, Farah repro of a 1950s workwear model.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corduroy lined chino cloth. Very versatile insulation which is warm, but isn't stifling in warmer weather.
    It comes with this label-apparently many of these were made with surplus military chino cloth.
    [​IMG]

Dinerman-have you come across this info before, and perhaps seen some originals?

Polo Ralph Lauren shirt, bought an outlet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surprised to find it is from the Polo line rather than RRL, with all the vintage accurate detailing:
    Chinstrap, ventilation holes and spearpoint shirt. In contrast to my other chambray shirts, this one is soft and breathable and can be worn in warm weather.

Pullover shirt from actual workwear brand, Key Apparel. Modern to a very traditional pattern, rather than repro.

[​IMG]

In this photo the shirt looks massive on me, but it shrinks to fit after the first wash. Very heavy and stiff hickory fabric which becomes more comfortable after each wash, same as a pair of rigid jeans.
    I guess I look like a train driver here :p, but I also intend to wear it with a sportcoat as a stand in for a 1930s/40s sport shirt.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Continued wear of these LVC jeans has required another major round of patching.
    [​IMG]

3. dh66

dh66

I think at this point you could've bought some new jeans for what you've got invested in those patches.

4. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Sorry I was slow to respond to your earlier post Dinerman. Yes. I have had to patch my 501s a lot more in the past decade. I have noticed, the big killers of my jeans are, wet knees and concrete or rock, especially, lava rock! Also, my hand grinder and cutoff wheel. The sparks will put small holes I can't even see, then a couple of washings later, big holes. My wallet, also does a number on the right rear pockets, and now that I carry one of the big cell phones in the left, I am sure they will fallow. The watch pocket doesn't seem to last, even if I put nothing in them. Last but not least, no matter how much I baby them, the edge of the front pockets wear out from reaching for keys and change. On one of my 501s, I just had the second from the top button holes blow out. Glad they are button fly, I can get away with wearing them at home, with out any wardrobe malfunction incident!

5. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

6. Dinerman

Wallace & Barnes
    Cut and details are a repro of a Brown's Beach Jacket, but done in a navy Melton wool instead of Beach Cloth
    [​IMG]

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  7. Dinerman

Ralph Lauren repro wool half-belt with built in vest flap.
    [​IMG]

jswindle2, Mr black, CONELRAD and 2 others like this.
  8. Dinerman

Lofgren
    [​IMG]

jswindle2 likes this.
  9. Dinerman

Warehouse (Japan) indigo discharge print chore jacket
    [​IMG]

Warehouse (Japan) chinstrap denim chore jacket
    [​IMG]

RRL chinstrap shirt
    [​IMG]

10. Mr black

Mr black Familiar Face

11. jswindle2

jswindle2 One of the Regulars

What is the consensus on Los Angeles Third and Army clothing ? I just scored a beautiful vest off the 'Bay and I was curious of what to expect. s-l1600.jpg

12. Wells

Wells Familiar Face

I absolutely love this jacket! Any idea where I can get something similar in style?

13. Dinerman

It's lvc, they come up from time to time. Odd cut to the sleeves, makes it impossible to do anything in it when buttoned. Also interesting to see a company which hails the authenticity of its product using the label from what was once it's small children's line for a jacket they're advertising as a manly workwear item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Mr Black congrats on the Sugar Cane Jacket- I like it a lot! You're right about the price. I expected more...

15. Dinerman

RRL, denim chore jacket detailing mashed up with a suit jacket style, in a wool and linen blend
    [​IMG]

16. Dinerman

Freeman's Sporting Club
    [​IMG]

17. Dinerman

The current state of my infamous patched jeans
    [​IMG]

18. ebill

ebill New in Town

Hi, I'm a college student working on a research project involving vintage clothing and, more specifically, workwear. It would be of great help to me if I could interview anyone involved with this thread or the general interest. Please, message me or reply asap if interested, thanks!

19. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Dinerman, the lower legs seem to hold up pretty well. Btw, that orphaned suit jacket I bought from you is a perfect fit. Just need to move the buttons back.

ebill, Dinerman is probably your best bet. He is extremely knowledgeable.

20. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

To Mr. Metatron, I like the pullover style hickory shirt and have three or four from both Carhartt and a store brand from Bailey's Logging Supplies. I actually wear them just for working in, too, along with logger jeans or old pants. You are correct, I think, in that the style (pullover with a half-zip front) doesn't go back that far, probably to the 1930s, maybe earlier. They also seem to be mainly a West Coast thing, like Ben Davis clothing.

I had a close friend many years ago, long passed away, who wore pull-over oxford cloth dress shirt (he was a banker) but I have no idea where he got them, although it might have been a men's shop on G Street in Washington, DC, across the street from the Treasury Building. He worked at the old NS&T bank (with the clock) and I worked on F Street. That was in the 1970s.

Key also has a nice chambray shirt, pure cotton, available in all sizes at cheap prices, just like from before the war. Cheap but not pre-war prices, of course. Imported. Once upon a time, "imported" meant something of high quality and more expensive. Now we just make really expensive things, including BMWs.