Reproduction classic workwear

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Matt Deckard, Oct 20, 2004.

1. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

Probably not of a "vintage" design, but this is what I had ordered the other day, as I'm in need of a denim workshirt:

[​IMG]

At eleven dollars (about 60% off), plus shipping, this was too cheap for me to pass. Would you say it has a classic appearance for a denim shirt?

2. mattfink

mattfink Practically Family

Armholes sort of like this:

[​IMG]

3. Mysterious Mose

Mysterious Mose Practically Family

:eek: So they made ill-fitting shirts in the old days, too.
    Nice belly pockets.
    I like workshirts one-pocket, pullover.

4. mattfink

The probably sold these shirts for $1 or so...

5. J. M. Stovall

J. M. Stovall Call Me a Cab

That would be $16 of today's dollars, just like on clearance at the GAP.

6. Creeping Past

Creeping Past One Too Many

Yes, ill-fitting, just like that.

7. mattfink

Like I said before, if you order the "Tall" from the Gap they are plenty long in the body. The normal shirts are far too short to tuck in if you are at all tall (I'm 6' 4"). They gussets hang out of the side of your trousers!

8. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

Sleeve problems...

Aha- sometimes, it's not ONLY the depth of the armhole/sleeve connection...
    sometimes the angle of attachment is problematic- many modern shirts(suit coats, too)have a downward-pointing sleeve/attachment, rather than a sleeve at the horizontal.

But a "batwing" type sleeve attachment causes a big pull, when raising the arms. Armpits of shirts and jackets should be close as possible to that of the wearer for optimal comfort- too tight is obviously too tight. To low or too far outboard- problem.

Old sweaters and work shirts are often cut "smock style"- where the arms are mounted horizontally (rather than at a down-angle)and the actual garment body is cut with the "stumps" of arms and the actual sleeves are sewn onto these. makes for better arm movement.

I see we have a new, related thread- good news.

B
    T

9. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

Saw this shirt from Polo today. Very nice.
    [​IMG]

10. flat-top

11. McFarlaneNYC

McFarlaneNYC Familiar Face

Did anyone see that Levi in the US started selling 201's? yes they are not perfect replica's but they are a good answer to vintage enthusiasts who cant put up the dough for the perfect ones. They cover all the major basis which are hard to come by on the cheap: selvage edge, indigo, and buckle on the back.
    Charlie

12. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Here they are

32 is the longest inseam they do in those? What if you're moderately tall? What if you want to cuff 'em, as shown in the picture? What if you want to take into account the bit of shrinkage that seems to happen with most jeans?

13. McFarlaneNYC

McFarlaneNYC Familiar Face

If I had to guess they will probably get longer inseams when they are out a bit longer. Or maybe they have longer ones in the store. I really don't know.

Charlie

14. Creeping Past

Creeping Past One Too Many

I'm guessing they've a relatively short inseam length because most of their customers will want to wear them low-slung.

15. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

I don't know if these fit into an existing thread, so I'll just post them in my favorite thread (or half of it, anyway).

Kinney Colorado boots, $3 at a local garage sale - I'm guessing 80s or 90s (Kinney was gone in '98).
    edit: They were making them in 1979, but who knows for how long.
    I don't understand how to lace them - specifically, the first, low and wide speed-lacer. I just continued criss-crossing the laces all the way up, but the pull from those back-set speed-lacers causes the tongue area of the boots to push upward (kind of bubbling the boot). Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. flat-top

I was at the store today and only saw these in black, which doesn't seem to be online. Pretty cool. I'm pretty sure they only went up to a 32 inseam as well.

17. marineabilly

marineabilly A-List Customer

Great - thanks for nothing guys. Now I have to go out and buy the 201's :eusa_clap Flat-Top, how do the black jeans look? I might have to call my local Levis store to find out what they have in stock.

18. flat-top

They look good. They're more of a canvas I would think. A true flat black.

19. mattfink

Horse shit....why only up to a 32"? Short people rejoice, the rest of us cry! Those brown workwear style are killer.

20. mattfink

On second thought, they look a little low rise in the pics...might have to try them on at the store...hoping they sell longer inseams off line.