Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Find a real pair of 30's, 40's or 50's 501s and then compare the price to a repro?

I think it makes more sense to compare them to the average price for a pair of jeans today. The margin is closer, if you will. Yes, it is true that there are collectors (read: just plain stupid) that spend thousands, tens of thousands even, on a pair of original Levis. However, to the average layman £180/$220 is still a lot of money for some denim, and I know a lot of the japanese brands are even more expensive.

The mark of quality will be obvious on the LVCs compared to most high street brands, true enough, but like all good things, you do indeed get what you pay for. I'm glad I got a pair of those JCrew edition Levis 501's where the denim was made at Cone Mills in the USA, and assembled in mexico for $65 so I can get to collecting more gab shirts haha. :)

mattfink

Practically Family
I'm pretty sure that most Levi's LVC are made with Cone Mills fabric. You can also find bargains for LVC too...but I can guarantee you that the early adopters for the J. Crew jeans didn't pay $65. It's ok to admit you're cheap! ;-)

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I'm pretty sure that most Levi's LVC are made with Cone Mills fabric. You can also find bargains for LVC too...but I can guarantee you that the early adopters for the J. Crew jeans didn't pay $65. It's ok to admit you're cheap! ;-)

I'm definitely a bargain hunter. I've scored some super rare stuff for mere pennies, but I also shell out on gear when necessary (er... when I really, really want something!).

Yeah all of the LVC denim is made at Cone Mills. At one point the jeans were assembled in Japan, but now they weave and assemble all in the good ol' USA, hence the price hikes. Ive seen good bargains on LVC on sites like Cultizm, and you used to be able to get them cheap on Aero and Ace Cafe, but no longer!

My mate showed up wearing the 1947 LVCs (he paid £180) and he was complaining that they weren't as dark as my cheaper jeans! The grass is always greener... :D

redavis001

One of the Regulars
This is not reproduction workwear but Round House workwear in Shawnee Oklahoma has been manufacturing since 1903.

http://www.round-house.com/index.html

I have a couple pairs of their dark blue bib overalls and a pair of the hickory stripe. The hickory stripes once they broke in are one of the most comfortable things I own. They also have an awesome herringbone coverall. Other items of note, engineers caps, and the hard to find carpenters coveralls. They are the last company in the U.S. to manufacture overalls here. If you want authentic depression era work clothes (and want to look like a dust bowler) you can't get much closer. Plus if you go to Shawnee you can tour the factory.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
This is not reproduction workwear but Round House workwear in Shawnee Oklahoma has been manufacturing since 1903.

http://www.round-house.com/index.html

I have a couple pairs of their dark blue bib overalls and a pair of the hickory stripe. The hickory stripes once they broke in are one of the most comfortable things I own. They also have an awesome herringbone coverall. Other items of note, engineers caps, and the hard to find carpenters coveralls. They are the last company in the U.S. to manufacture overalls here. If you want authentic depression era work clothes (and want to look like a dust bowler) you can't get much closer. Plus if you go to Shawnee you can tour the factory.

Pointer Brand was another label that was mentioned in one of the two “Classic Workwear” threads as being classically styled, American made, and affordable enough to actually work in.

I found a Round House retailer locally, and hope to check it out soon. I really want a set of overalls for working on the car (belt buckles are hard on fenders).

-Dave

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Mr. Conwill,

Thanks for pointing out Pointer. I looked at their material and it looks really good. For working on the car I would go with a good set of coveralls. They...well...cover all and unlike overalls don't let dirt get down your back sliding underneath. Plus with the heavy riveted buttons on an overall you can still scratch paint. However if your sitting at a bench rebuilding a generator than you can't beat a good thick set of coveralls.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Conwill,

Thanks for pointing out Pointer. I looked at their material and it looks really good. For working on the car I would go with a good set of coveralls. They...well...cover all and unlike overalls don't let dirt get down your back sliding underneath. Plus with the heavy riveted buttons on an overall you can still scratch paint. However if your sitting at a bench rebuilding a generator than you can't beat a good thick set of coveralls.

I actually have a nice set of herringbone coveralls that I like for exactly that reason, but there are days that I don't want to be wearing an extra layer, so I end up just wearing work pants and a work shirt, but some days I just don't want to wear pants (especially without a belt).

-Dave

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I picked up a pair of the Pointer Brand herringbone carpenter pants from Schwabs in Memphis about seven years back. They're great, but those who are phobic of high-waisted pants should be aware that the rise is pretty serious yet the hips are quite narrow...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
one of my favorite pieces on the web

vest.21.jpg

Tigerprawn

New in Town
Mr. Conwill,

I'm really glad someone mentioned Pointer Brand. I have two jackets and absolutely love them. I wear them quite often and the price point is really surprising. Here's one in the duck brown.

Also, on a second note. The Levi's 201s impressed me too and they're on sale right now I believe.

5246593063_263611fb0f_z.jpg

5246593387_3905342ec3_z.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Any Knowledge of "H.W. CARTER & SONS "

Does anyone know diddly about this company? Beyond the fact that they now seem to make only clothes for those age ten & below, I couldn't find much on 'em, but I just got this jacket for stoopid cheap on th' 'bay & wondered if anyone knew more than that?

Carter1.jpg

Carter2.jpg

carter3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points