Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

MikePotts

Practically Family
Hmmmm......I did not know that Dickies were made in Uvalde until now....that's only a couple of hours from here, wonder if they have an "Outlet Shop"?

MP

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I wonder if anyone here is familiar with WWII-impressions' Army Denim reproductions?

armydeminjkt1.JPG

Is it well made, how's the sizing? I sent them an email, but didn't get a reply..

Thanks,
Diego

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

mattfink

Practically Family
Diego - I have the US Army denim trousers, US Navy denim trousers and US Navy shawl collar jacket. I have to say I like the denim on the US Navy stuff better. Not sure, but the Army stuff seems to have some synthetic material blended in?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Is it any more ironic than spending a hundreds of bucks on a motorcycle jacket when you don't ride?

or buying Basketball or tennis shoes if you don't play... or Aviator sunglasses if you don't fly an airplane? A 4x4 vehicle that doesn't go off road... Shall I go on?

There’s no real irony in any of these things if they were purchased for their utility, even if it isn’t in the same context as what may appear to be their intended purpose. Which is not to say that any or all of these things are always purchased for their intended purpose.

Expensive workwear, however, is unlikely to ever be used for its utility. To put something that expensive in a situation where its durability will be used is by its nature to use it up, and kind of runs contrary to the Dickies-as-a-fashion-brand ethos.

Whether that’s deliberately ironic or not, I may not be qualified to say. I typically wear used, $1.00 Redkaps in the garage, and $10 Dickies to play in the yard with my girls.

-Dave

mattfink

Practically Family
David - expensive reproduction vintage "workwear" is typically used for it's intended purpose...fashion. It's not really workwear, because it would have to be affordable and destruction ready to be so.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
David - expensive reproduction vintage "workwear" is typically used for it's intended purpose...fashion. It's not really workwear, because it would have to be affordable and destruction ready to be so.

Well, I seem to be one of the few nuts who's doing tough labor in 'expensive repro-workwear'... like I need to know if it (expensive repro-workwear) stands up against some serious abuse... and I like to feel comfortable when working.. most of the cheaper 'mechanics -workwear' (Dickies) seem to be made of a cotton/poly blend: it's like wearing a plastic bin-bag and I can't stand extensive sweating.. So, I guess you could label me fashionable then? ;-)

but,

200,- for a Dickies to me seems a bit overpriced...

When I get Dickies anything, I just wash and dry the hell out of it until it's beyond the stiff, plastic stage. Buy larger and do it. Seems like what my grandma did for my grandpa, except maybe they were hung outside to dry in the sun...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm happy to see that J Crew is still going forward with the workwear thing. It seems that other stores like The Gap have pretty much moved on.

mattfink

Practically Family
-Yeah, the same shirts were previously offered on the K&TH website for about $150 or less, if memory serves.

They were about the same ($200) at the time I bought mine...price is more on the K&TH site now with the shitty yen/dollar exchange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy