Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

Doug C

Practically Family
Mysterious Mose said:
Yeah, but no...

Still, the Old town cap has Dutch Boy cap influences. Yours are much more Dutch cap than English driver

Mysterious Mose, the first one you posted and that I referenced has what almost looks like (from that picture) a "squared off" bill instead of the normal round ones (like Marc Chevalier posted). Very cool ! Noboby's makeing these ? Where'd you get that picture?

FreddieVonRost

New in Town
Old style white belted overalls

Off to the Classic Le Mans this year and later to the Goodwood Revival. Does anybody know where to find these, old style, buttoned and belted overalls?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Norma

All these photos of Rosie the Riveters, reminds me that no one has shown a photo of the most famous Rosie of them all, Norma Jean Dougherty! She was photographed at her job at the Radio Plane company for the August 2, 1945 issue of Yank magazine. She changed her name to Marilyn Monroe and the rest is as they say History!
radioplane_marilyn_1_500.jpg

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
A welder's hat like this? They are still being made.

41i7Er3nCTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Traditional welders cap from Amazon.

The funny thing is, you usually wear these backward, because you have a full mask on and the bill prevents the "sparks" from tumbling down the back of your shirt.

Doug C said:
Here I go with the hats again... um, this pic reminds me of the hats my uncles used to wear back in the early 70's, they were welders by trade (most of the time) and I was very young but distinctively remember them wearing similiar hats... I remember them in hickory stripe and white polka-dots on dark blue. As for this picture, it's very cool but I bet that wool jacket had some holes in it before long, with the sparks etc.

mattfink

Practically Family
There are various types of work caps from back then. The one shown in the picture is commonly worn by engineers, but I'm sure lots of other tradesmen wore them as well. The more rounded top version is associated with welding. Here is a modern repro example:

item_hd01526-128.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
jetgirl said:
A welder's hat like this? They are still being made.
Traditional welders cap from Amazon.The funny thing is, you usually wear these backward, because you have a full mask on and the bill prevents the "sparks" from tumbling down the back of your shirt.

Yep, alot like that, and I do remember them wearing them backwards from time to time also. I did a real quick search on ebay a few months ago when these caps came to mind, there was nothin under the search perameters that I used... so I assumed none were available anywhere and went on to something else. Also, I was in a welding supply shop the other day (believe it or not) and they did have modern welding caps but they were hideous, nothing like the vintage ones. Thanks for posting the pic and info, I'll look into them further.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Doug C said:
Yep, alot like that, and I do remember them wearing them backwards from time to time also. I did a real quick search on ebay a few months ago when these caps came to mind, there was nothin under the search perameters that I used... so I assumed none were available anywhere and went on to something else. Also, I was in a welding supply shop the other day (believe it or not) and they did have modern welding caps but they were hideous, nothing like the vintage ones. Thanks for posting the pic and info, I'll look into them further.

They don't carry them in the welding supply places, at least in the decent fabrics (lots in camo and flame prints). But last time I asked, they said they could order them, at least if you only wanted black. They used to be made of left over industrial fabric. My favorite one at our shop was made out of an old hoover bag, yep, hoover bag.
I don't even want to ask how much that sugarcane one goes for.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
marineabilly said:
Did you pick it up? If so, your thoughts on it?

Edit: Just called the Irvine Spectrum store and the employee said only the "high end" stores will be carrying them, i.e. "Bevery Hills." That's horse manure!!
Horse manure is right! My local store had these and it is certainly not "high end'!

Feraud

Bartender
marineabilly said:
Did you pick it up? If so, your thoughts on it?

Edit: Just called the Irvine Spectrum store and the employee said only the "high end" stores will be carrying them, i.e. "Bevery Hills." That's horse manure!!
It's a great shirt. I wore it today and have no complaints. Some people might not like the hood but I don't see an issue w/it.

mattfink

Practically Family
Feraud said:
The Levi's store has cool chambray 5 button hooded pullovers on sale.

Definitely another copy of an earlier style based on one the USN issued. Can't seem to find a pic of an original. Here's a Buzz Rickson copy:

081213br1.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone picked up the Gap "destructed" khakis yet? I got pair of the "Cadet" style which is pretty cool. The others have paint splotches and oil stains etc, but the khaki Cadets have a hole repaired with a chambray patch. They were $25 a couple of weeks ago and I had to go for it.
They're not online for some reason, but here's the other style they were merchandised with at the store:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.d.../www.gap.com/products/mens-clothing-C5065.jsp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff