Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction Vintage Neckties?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
True. Damian makes them too.

It's just another option and I found it rather creative to "create" pattern. The supply of vintage silk isn't infinite after all.
Zazzle is just the cheapest option for custom printed ties and sure is a compromise. Everything else (silk) would be more expensive and we all know nobody is willing to pay the price. We are used to vintage tie prices. [huh] But the topic of this thread is about repros

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here

gary m

Vendor
I have been pondering this for the past few weeks and figured I would present the idea to you.

Do you think it is possible to have your favorite vintage necktie (I am speaking specifically of the wide, printed variety from the late 40's and very early 50's) reproduced? I come across so many wonderful prints that I cannot purchase because of holes, fraying, etc. I began to think, "would it be possible to have the necktie scanned at high resolution, have the flaws "repaired" via Photoshop or otherwise, re-printed or silk screened on like material, and completely re-made?"

It probably sounds like a pipe dream, but I figured if Toyo Enterprises can do it for Hawaiian shirts, why not for a necktie? I know a couple of bigger companies tried it in the past with some success, but I'm talking about doing it on a small scale.

I know that authentic vintage neckties are so unique that some collectors would frown upon wearing reproductions. I pondered this as well... but, for me, it's all about evoking an era, vintage or reproduction.

What do you think?
Yes send me the ties you want done and I can do them , you will have to do something that sells , I would suggest doing the card tie of Bugsy Siegal , that would be a good selling point , but anything you want done i CAN do but will need original and minimum quantity is 50, wont cost that much , contact me on charles caine shirts for the modernist on facebook

Edward

Bartender
Interesting to re-read this discussion several years on. In 2012, I was finding the price of vintage ties rising, from typically GBP16 to an average of GBP25. Most good-condition 40s ties I see selling at that price now go for far more. What I'm finding is that originals are increasingly fragile (I've had one or two "shatter" like ripe cotton after wearing them for a few months). Really, by this point I'm at the point where I just want to buy new ties that design-wise look like the 40s originals, and are thinly lined sufficiently to produce a small knot rather than a four in hand the size of my own head with an extra foot of length beyond the belt as I so often find is the case with 'new' ties.

I find myself wearing knit ties more often than used to be the case as the "correct" look never changes, but those have their limits... Be interested to hear what new / repro alternatives other folks in the same position are turning to.

Peacoat

Bartender
Interesting to re-read this discussion several years on. In 2012, I was finding the price of vintage ties rising, from typically GBP16 to an average of GBP25. Most good-condition 40s ties I see selling at that price now go for far more. What I'm finding is that originals are increasingly fragile (I've had one or two "shatter" like ripe cotton after wearing them for a few months). Really, by this point I'm at the point where I just want to buy new ties that design-wise look like the 40s originals, and are thinly lined sufficiently to produce a small knot rather than a four in hand the size of my own head with an extra foot of length beyond the belt as I so often find is the case with 'new' ties.

I find myself wearing knit ties more often than used to be the case as the "correct" look never changes, but those have their limits... Be interested to hear what new / repro alternatives other folks in the same position are turning to.
Agreed. For most of my life I have been tying a half Windsor knot rather than a full Windsor. It makes a longer and skinnier knot that looks much better than the full knots.

Edward

Bartender
This thread came to mind browsing zazzle today. I have a few ties from there now... actually got married in one in 2020. They're not perfect, though the look and feel is close, with the right print. They seem fairly robust, and now mostly cheaper than I see original ties going for. Works for me. Takes a bit of care with the prints - not all are ideal and some are ugly, or only on one side (this may bother some more than others). A decent enough day to day alternative, though, until these style go mainstream again (at which point I shall be haunting every sale rack there is!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot