Required Music Collection

Discussion in 'Radio' started by SFSEAN, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Quigley Brown

Quigley Brown Call Me a Cab

Not to assume all good music was made in America...I have a box set of the 1930s German male sextet The Comedian Harmonists. They are very entertaining to listen to.

2. artdecodame

artdecodame One of the Regulars

Thank you- I was just about to mention foreign music! German compilations are some of my favorites.

[​IMG]

3. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]
    I like Lucienne Boyer!

I also have a few German tunes on some of my compilations, but I couldn't tell you who they were from memory! Old German music is one type that I'd like to get more into, but time and money are currently not letting me.

ASV Living Era has tons of English songs on it, since they're based out of England. All wonderful. I have an English "thing" -- always have!

As for domestic, I'd also recommend Lee Wiley. I LOVE her. And Dick Powell, of course.

4. plain old dave

plain old dave A-List Customer

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys
    Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys
    Ralph and Carter Stanley
    Chet Atkins (the early stuff before he started producing for RCA)
    Hank
    Django Reinhardt
    Asleep at the Wheel (the early stuff with Lucky Oceans on pedal steel)

Any compilation or "Greatest Hits" of these would do for starters...

5. RedHotRidinHood

RedHotRidinHood Practically Family

Dave-you have superior taste!!! Most people don't know Asleep at the Wheel...I saw them a few years ago and Ray Benson still has it! They did a FANTASTIC version of "Jumpin at the Woodside". Bet you like Junior Brown, Wayne Hancock and Spade Cooley too.

I love Django. The Hot Club of France material with Stephane Grappelli is just wonderful. :)

6. plain old dave

plain old dave A-List Customer

I have both live and studio versions of the Wheel doin' "Jumpin'..." in a couple permutations of the band... I likes me some Junior, too.... Seen him live TWICE. Spade Cooley is OK, too... Another add:

Robinella and the CC String Band