Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resistol Presents: Attack of the Wide Ribbon.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I bought this Friday after finding that it was well priced and actually fit my head.

IMG_0858.jpg

From the print on the inside of the liner, it's a Resistol "Flatop" originally sold by an outfit called Hastings in California.

IMG_0860.jpg

The "Beaver Twenty" and "Abruzzi" marks have my confused. I assume the hat contains 20% beaver fur in the felt, but I can't find any hat related information on the word Abruzzi. All I know is that it's a region in Italy.

IMG_0859.jpg

It's difficult to tell from this picture, but the liner is not centered correctly.

Lastly, I tried putting a fedora type bash on it.
IMG_0865.jpg

If anybody could help me connect this hat to a date or era it would be much appreciated. I know it was made before ~1968 and that's about it.

Thanks.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
A flat top is a style of hat, similar to a porkpie. It is not meant to be creased, which is why creasing it fedora style doesn't work.
The flat top style, as well as the back bow style, which went kind of hand in hand, were a late '50s thing, in the '55-60 ish time frame.

Beaver 20 has nothing to do with beaver content. It reflects the price point- the hat would have originally sold for $20.

straw flat top- Champ
IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

Resistol
DSC008531.jpg

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
bolthead said:
Nice find....but I agree, that Lid was meant to have a flat top or a Pork Pie crease. [huh]

I changed it back, I just wanted to see how easy it would be to mold. :whip: :eek: The hat must have a spirit of it's own, because after I put the dents in, it wouldn't fit right.

Also, another question: The store used an anti-theft tag that left a noticeable hole in the felt :eusa_doh: . Will it stay there, close up, or get worse?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Damn those hole-punchers!:rage:

Try brushing the whole hat to get dust out of it, then dab a bead of water onto the hole. When it dries, brush it again. This may convince the felt to sort of 'heal'.

G'luck!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The Resistol "Flatop" along with the Dobbs "Top-Level" and the Adam "flat-crown" all came into style in 1956. These hats are not meant to have a bash. Here are two ads from the October 1956 issue of 'Esquire':

1956Esquire001.jpg

1956Esquire002.jpg

And here is my Resistol:
ResistolFlatop001-1.jpg

Cheers!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:

Dang, Dinerman, that ribbon is wide. Is that a cav. edge?

Also, here's a 'flatop' milan that dates from the 1920s, way before the 1950s fad came along.
1920sKnoxMilan-1.jpg

Are these two styles related or did the 1950s flatop just try something new?

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
Try brushing the whole hat to get dust out of it, then dab a bead of water onto the hole. When it dries, brush it again. This may convince the felt to sort of 'heal'.

I'll give that a try, thanks!

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
I dig flattops. Ive been looking around for one in my size. Yet all are much to small.
My Boss has a Pilgrim Flattop, and it is amazing. Insanely jealous.....lol

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
The Ratpack lives!!

Dinerman said:
A flat top is a style of hat, similar to a porkpie. It is not meant to be creased, which is why creasing it fedora style doesn't work.
The flat top style, as well as the back bow style, which went kind of hand in hand, were a late '50s thing, in the '55-60 ish time frame.

Beaver 20 has nothing to do with beaver content. It reflects the price point- the hat would have originally sold for $20.

straw flat top- Champ
IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

Resistol
DSC008531.jpg

That straw makes me think of the old Ratpack...Joey Bishop wore one very similar to that straw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael