Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resole Shoes

Fifty150

One Too Many
When you're young, you just don't listen. My Dad told me, "don't buy cheap shoes". But he never told me why. It took me a lifetime to learn that lesson.

Decades ago, I found some cold weather shoes that I really liked. Lug sole pattern for traction. Every step was cushioned. And it had that furry stuff on the inside. My feet were completely warm. They were from a brand name outdoors clothing and supply store. I liked the first pair so much, that I bought a second pair.

They were good. I wore them in the woods. I wore them while pier fishing. I wore them on ski trips. I went out for walks during the winter. They lasted for decades. The soles still had plenty of tread.

Until today. We got our first real rain of the season. I took the shoes out of storage. The glue finally died.

A half a lifetime ago, I didn't know anything about shoe construction, or what to look for when buying shoes. Like every other kid, I shopped for brand names. And most of the time, it was advertising driven fashion.

Cheap leather glued onto a synthetic lasting board. A single rib steel shank riveted on. A little bit of felt padding. A rubber sole glued to the bottom.

This is not worth sending to a shoe repair shop, or even glueing back together myself. A good shoe guy could Blake-stitch a midsole onto the bottom, then add a Vibram outsole. But after decades of use, I decided to cut my losses short. No way was I going to spend $150 - $200 on $50 shoes. I have two pairs of these. For that kind of money (which I don't have), I could buy a new pair of good shoes.

IMG_20231023_095659257.jpg

IMG_20231023_095719982.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many
Another shoe to never buy again. The shanks were plastic. One sole got extra padding, while the other sole did not. The riveted shoelace eyelets were already popping out. The most durable part of the whole shoe was the shoelace. I saved that. But this was not going to be a rebuild. Not even a glue job. It went in the garbage.

But it was very warm, with the fake furry lining, and every step was soft and bouncy. Extremely comfortable out of the box. The soles had plenty of tread left. I really enjoyed wearing them while they lasted.

1701909769182.png

1701909800068-png.567691
1701909831647.png

Attachments

• 1701909800068.png
    1701909800068.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 83

Bugguy

Practically Family
I like this thread. Over the years I've thought that learning shoe repair would be an essential skill for when the SHTF. It could be a skill set that could be bartered. I mean as a former hospital administrator, what can I bring to the table that has value to a community?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner