Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Respective, Venomous Correspondence is not dead!

ThinkandDrive

New in Town
Aside from striving to dress "properly" and with a mind to decorum, I always try to make all written correspondence clear, consice and respectful. Whether it's a postal mail letter (which, sadly, occurs maybe twice a year) or an email, I think it's important to maintain certain mannerisms and protocol.

This is especially important when issuing a complaint or countering an argument you find to be especially distasteful.

This is why I was absolutely tickled when reading the linked article. A certain bookstore chain in Australia decided that it would begin charging smaller publishing and distribution houses for the "privilege" of taking up space on their shelves. The initial letter, which actually turned my stomach, could have received an equally rude response. The repose letter contained such an eloquent "eff you, and the horse you rode in on." that I wish I were in Australia, just to be able to patronize that book distributor. At no point are you mistaken as to the underlying sentiment or intent of Mr. Rakusin (the respondent).

http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/undercover/014948.html

I feel I could use a little of his decorum in a meeting I have coming up this afternoon. [angel]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Alas, I fear this kind of nuanced balence of righteous indignation and cool reason will find a cold welcome in the American business/scholarly community, either among letter-writers or -readers.

Oh, and you mean respectful, don't you? I knew you did. ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Such a letter is indeed an art. it's much to easy to be drawn into the trap of being nasty. And nasty letters always come back to haunt you.

nyx

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Alas, I fear this kind of nuanced balence of righteous indignation and cool reason will find a cold welcome in the American business/scholarly community, either among letter-writers or -readers.

Actually based on the comments I read in the blog, most seem to be supportive of the response. I too, find it well thought out and respectful, but also clearly indignant. As he had a right to be. I give him my kudos :eusa_clap

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Me too. But keep in mind the blog responders are mostly, perhaps entirely, non-Americans. I doubt a lot of American businesspeople would read a letter this long and intricate all the way to the end, and would either fire off a blunt reply or pick up the phone and be even blunter.

nyx

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Me too. But keep in mind the blog responders are mostly, perhaps entirely, non-Americans. I doubt a lot of American businesspeople would read a letter this long and intricate all the way to the end, and would either fire off a blunt reply or pick up the phone and be even blunter.

Possibly. But I think a lot of American business people (as bystanders to the situation) might agree with the statement from the Tower Books guy that A&R's business practices aren't the most sound, and so might find the response justified.

However, I agree with you that if THEY were the ones getting the response, they'd probably be even more arrogant and short in their reply. The art of polite argument and debate seems to be lost these days, especially in the US.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I think both letters are out of line.

My employer occasionally terminates clients, but we don't tell them their business is unprofitable. We say that we aren't a good fit for them, or something along those lines.

Letters that go something like, "Never in my life have I been subjected to such..." and then go on for three pages shouldn't be sent. The definitely aren't going to change the mind of the person they are addressed to.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Fantastic! Thank you for sharing! I rarely write a so-called "f-you" letter, but every time I have it's been very very effective. My mother taught me the value of a polite, well thought out and impeccably written letter of that nature and it's a valuable skill to have. Good for him!

ThinkandDrive

New in Town
Fletch said:

Yes, I did. Blame the pre-coffee stupor. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou