Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Responses for the Vintage Lady

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Hello Again!

It became apparent to me a little while back, that this would definitely be an ineresting foray into who I am, but I must confess I wasn't quite prepared for the stares, glares, innocent and mocking questions I got from people when I went out in semi-vintage, a modern pencil skirt, tank top and sweater, with seamed stockings and heels.

I got the very kindly, "where are you going all dressed up dear?" to someone whisper to a friend that I was "just some slut trying to steal their boyfriends" who were nowhere in sight.

Now while I don't feel the need to call people on their rudeness, I would like to have an arsenal of responses to outright questions, I tend to be either shocked into silence by rudeness, or I just don't know how to answer a curious comment.

Your advice on this one would be great.

Thanks
Lisa

P

Paul

My advice for rude comments is very very simple, do not drop down to the same level and ignore them.
I know it is harder to do and easier for me to say this but , if someone is shouting or saying ***** they are waiting a response from you and what annoys them more is if you do not respond.
If people around do here the comments made in your direction it reflect more upon the person making them than you, if you say something back then it reflects on you both.

I will add also what ever is said do not let that put you off wearing vintage fashions , full or partially.Not enough ladies wear vintage!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rude comments about what you're wearing deserve the same response as any rude comment - nothing. A well place raised eyebrow in the direction of the people talking behind your back will get the job done.

Otherwise, I'm a kill them with kindness kind of gal. Genuinely curious people of course deserve a smile and a kind word. If you feel like going into the vintage aspect for your clothes, do so - but more often then not I answer the question "why are you dressed up" with "I'm not, this is how I dress most days." More often than not the person asking then says "Oh, well you look nice." As a student, I sometimes go to class in a suit and sit next to girls in sweats. That's fine for them, and a suit's fine for me.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Generally for every rude verbal comment, you can see on 100 faces of people who pass by you a look of admiration and approval. Even if they do not say aword. I get it often. Form a sneer, to that look and half smile, that I call the 'Looking nice Miss Lady' look. :)

Just let it be, you have way too much to do with your busy and important life than to conjure up a rebuff for someone looking for a gut reaction. Walk it off, and dress super cute :)

LD

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Definitely the quote of the day! I think that will be my motto:D , if you don't mind my borrowing it Lady Day.
It just really rufflles my feathers when I get outrageously rude comments like that, what became of class, ya know what I mean?

Thanks for all the advice ladies, I'll definitely keep cute and walking:)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I agree with all the other ladies here, just rise above it. Most of the time people are just threatened by something that is different to them.
I do the raised eyebrow thing, I just imagine how Bette Davis would respond.......works wonders.

I think it's really important to enjoy your life and not feel cowed by someone elses prejudice and small mindedness!

I bet that most of the people that make comments are just envious that you look so darn hot!!!!!!:) :)

Just remember that you have a whole host of friends here fighting for the same cause! Next time it happens you tell them from me that England isn't that far away and I'll come and swing my vintage handbag at 'em!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
AllaboutEve said:
I bet that most of the people that make comments are just envious that you look so darn hot!!!!!!:) :)

Just remember that you have a whole host of friends here fighting for the same cause! Next time it happens you tell them from me that England isn't that far away and I'll come and swing my vintage handbag at 'em!

lol Thanks for the support, and the handbag that would be a sight to see, most enjoyable.lol

Truely though just having the props from you ladies is motivating, I really appreciate it.
Lisa

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I try to be nice

I'm never quite sure if the negative comments are directed toward me, if I've heard correctly, or are even meant as negative so I ignore them. Haven't heard one yet that was posed as a question anyway. A nice question, however, deserves a nice answer so I say "I try to look nice." This opens up the way for the response, "Oh, you do look nice, dear."
Yesterday I went to a Veteran's Day remembrance service for my dad and other service members who died in the past year. Wore a navy sweater, black slim skirt, black raincoat and black cute wedgies. When I left some gals were in the parking lot (also nicely dressed) and one said to the others "The shoes! The shoes!" I assumed that meant she liked them, who knows? I didn't turn around and ask. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Just smile and nod

You might humor them. In the case of someone accusing you of trying to steal her boyfriend, you might smile and say, "Yes, you've found me out."

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Case and point

I was walking to the corner store to get a beverage and the kid (19 or so) who works there was outside having a smoke. He was with his 'girl' I presume, and just had to say something to me.

"Wow, you sure know have it cornered on looking all preppy?"

?

'Preppy'? I was wearing a black pencil skirt, black hose, black boat neck carddie, a pink paisley shirt, and black flats. 'preppy'?

I guess the fact that I was dressed in on jeans warranted a response. I paused, laughed, and purchased my beverage which I later enjoyed.

I told my friend the comment, and he looked at me and said, "Preppy, not at all. More of a 50's vibe..." Yay him!

My point? I dont know lol
Just shrug it off keep on walking and look supercute. It works.

LD

Grace

Vendor
I'm afraid I've got a temper, so if I heard someone say something negative about how I'm dressed, you'd better believe I'd have something to say.

I do get strange looks, and I get a fair amount of dirty ones, too. Just today, I got a little more dolled up that usual to go vote. While I got lots of nice comments and approving glances from the little old ladies working the polls, I did get a nasty glare from the lunch lady whose school the voting was held in.

And I *smiled* at her first, as I usually do smile at strangers. Very rarely do I get a smile in return. But this lady gave me the stink eye!!

I get teased a little from my friends, though it's all in good fun. I have an early 60s pea green nubby knit cropped jacket that I wear, and they ask me if I made it out of my grandmas curtains. :)

lavendar lady

New in Town
I feel

I feel rather good when i wear vintage clothes or even slacks,nice clothes.I do not need to wear the sad fashion of today to feel good.(baggy pants,sweats,p.j.) yes people actually wear p.j.s all day long even to go shopping or even out to eat.Do not let those people get to you.My husband gets lots of looks both good and bad. And we have learned to enjoy ourselfs and not to let people rule what we wear.
L.L.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I feel that people just don't dress up anymore. They don't take the time to get themselves ready to leave the house. It's a shame to see people walking around in sweats or pjs. (ok ok I admit in my days as a college student I did get up out of my bed 5 minutes before class and run to class in whatever it was I had which most of the time were my snowman pjs.)

I have always admired style from the 40s and 50s. I'm a fan of old hollywood movies and have always wanted to get dressed up just to eat dinner. I haven't really been able to indulge in dressing in vintage fashion for practical and financial reasons. I am now a stay at home mom and I find that I do have a little extra time in my day to do my hair and put on stockings and I LOVE IT. I've also had a lot of free time to research these styles to try to get everything as accurate as possible.

I've had mixed reviews of my vintage style. A lot of people ask me why I'm so dressed up. When I'm out for a night on the town I get a lot of surprisingly good looks from other women at the bar. So I'm going with the fact that they like the hair rolls. hehe. Although my best friend does get a kick out of me and my "flamboyant" red lipstick.

I say take pride in the fact that you dress the way you want to dress and not the way everyone else does. And enjoy feeling like a girl when you have your hiar in curlers and put on your makeup. It's what's one of the great things about being a girl.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I think we should take our cues from some very famous NVL's.

image2.jpg

“I want to be a guy, but I want to wear a lot of makeup.”

agoodwoman3.jpg

“If you're comfortable with yourself, then it's sexy. Maybe people think I look sexy because I feel sexy. I am a very liberated person that way. I'm very comfortable with my sexuality, my body, my face - well, sometimes I'm not comfortable with my face, but it's stuck there and there's nothing I can do about it.”

Gwen and Scarlett! Yay!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Well update time!

I was on campus today, in a beige pencil skirt, black sweater and boots, complete with red lip, and mascaraed lashes, if you don't mind my arrogant moment:eek: I must say I looked very vintage.

I was walking to my practicum, through the main building, and recieved many appreciative glances, unfortunately also a few glares. But thanks to all your props I had the confidence to smile, walk it off, and keep cute, thanks so much ladies.:D

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I've never really noticed any deregatory attention toward my vintage-inspired attire.My husband has gotten the occasional "Hey,Elvis" to which he replys "Why,thank you,thank you very much".But it never really seems like anything more than good-natured ribbing.
My friends and clients are actually very supportive.They often bring looks which they've torn out of magazines that made them think of me.
Such as this:
47b4d703b3127cce9a3b405d3ace00000016109AbOXLFk0bS

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I think it's just so weird. The whole glare thing... Why do people think we're bad or mean or dirrrty if we dress vintage? I just don't get it. Nobody glares at the people in pajamas. [huh]

katiemakeup

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
Hello Again!

It became apparent to me a little while back, that this would definitely be an ineresting foray into who I am, but I must confess I wasn't quite prepared for the stares, glares, innocent and mocking questions I got from people when I went out in semi-vintage, a modern pencil skirt, tank top and sweater, with seamed stockings and heels.

I got the very kindly, "where are you going all dressed up dear?" to someone whisper to a friend that I was "just some slut trying to steal their boyfriends" who were nowhere in sight.

Now while I don't feel the need to call people on their rudeness, I would like to have an arsenal of responses to outright questions, I tend to be either shocked into silence by rudeness, or I just don't know how to answer a curious comment.

Your advice on this one would be great.

Thanks
Lisa

Oh my gosh!! I cannot believe the nerve of some people; the lack of tact. I am always stunned when I hear people saying rude comments- about anything really, I mean- how miserable do you have to be to fell compelled to spew forth rudeness?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner