Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Hat Issues

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
yeah .. this has been discussed a bunch ... but I have to share this ...

I usually do the knee... the extra chair... or even the napkin under the chair if it is a nice clean place ...

but just last Sunday my wife and I were at a restaurant a few towns over and I was having the old hat dilemma ... we were seated a table away from an old stone fireplace that was unlit and on the stone mantle were some books and deer antlers ... I took it upon myself to put those antlers to use

resources my friend ... resources

William G.

One of the Regulars
With my back problems, I usually end up requesting a booth unless there's absolutely no other options—that's a whole other topic. However, my hat usually ends up in the booth seat next to me or on the table (yes, I guess I'm extremely rude and ill-mannered).

To be honest, I've never thought much about it. And the only hat I've worn out other than my ball cap is a stingy brim paper straw fedora. I've only gotten ketchup on it once.

Unless you are in a formal dining situation, I think these days it's a non-issue, given the amount of people I see out, even in so-called 'nice' restaurants, wearing flip-flops, shorts, NASCAR t-shirts, or sagging pants with their underwear hanging out.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Much to my wife's ire, I've been known to take over a chair from a neighboring table for my hat and coat. Otherwise, knowing the situation I'm walking into, I just leave my hat in the car.
As long as there's no neighbor in the chair at the time, I see no problem with that.
[emoji4]

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Unless you are in a formal dining situation, I think these days it's a non-issue, given the amount of people I see out, even in so-called 'nice' restaurants, wearing flip-flops, shorts, NASCAR t-shirts, or sagging pants with their underwear hanging out.

Great point

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I guess some people take their hat off due to what others will think ?

... or to abide by some etiquette of years past ?

I do it because I was raised to not wear my hat when sitting at a table to eat ... and for no other reason

same way I wouldn't come to the table with my shirt off if dining with guests ... I see it no differently

I don't care if 5 other people sitting at the table with me are wearing a hat ... doesn't bother me in the least ... but mine won't be on

Last edited:

... or to abide to some etiquette of years past ?

I do it because I was raised to not wear my hat when sitting at a table to eat ... and for no other reason

same way I wouldn't come to the table with my shirt off if dining with guests ... I see it no differently

I don't care if 5 other people sitting at the table with me are wearing a hat ... doesn't bother me in the least ... but mine won't be on

I agree, and I'll go to great lengths to observe the manners I was taught. But there are limits.

We go to a local pub on a regular basis, and on the first Tuesday of every month, they have a NOLA-style jazz band. Many folks show up to dance, young and old alike. And of course, many dress for the occasion, including a few hats. Interestingly, some of the older gentlemen (65+) never remove their hats at the table.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I agree, and I'll go to great lengths to observe the manners I was taught. But there are limits.

We go to a local pub on a regular basis, and on the first Tuesday of every month, they have a NOLA-style jazz band. Many folks show up to dance, young and old alike. And of course, many dress for the occasion, including a few hats. Interestingly, some of the older gentlemen (65+) never remove their hats at the table.
Given those circumstances I wouldn't either.

If the restaurant is a "casual" one I leave it on. My wife and I ate in an upscale Italian pizza joint yesterday and I just left it on. If it is a nicer more formal place would not feel comfortable leaving it on. On those occasions I carry a silk sack in my pocket (it takes very little room). My hat gets placed in the sack and tucked under the seat if an extra chair is not available. Even if there is a chair I still place it in the sack to protect it from spills and dribbles (from me or any body else!). It is an easy and effective way of taking the angst from the situation of "what to do" with my hat.
Bond, a lounge member sells them on his Etsy site for a reasonable fee or if handy just sew one yourself.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
If the restaurant is a "casual" one I leave it on. My wife and I ate in an upscale Italian pizza joint yesterday and I just left it on. If it is a nicer more formal place would not feel comfortable leaving it on. On those occasions I carry a silk sack in my pocket (it takes very little room). My hat gets placed in the sack and tucked under the seat if an extra chair is not available. Even if there is a chair I still place it in the sack to protect it from spills and dribbles (from me or any body else!). It is an easy and effective way of taking the angst from the situation of "what to do" with my hat.
Bond, a lounge member sells them on his Etsy site for a reasonable fee or if handy just sew one yourself.

I love the silk sack idea

did you pick it up anywhere specific ?

I have a wife that will sew things for me and I just picked up some cheap silk. Just a simple sack with a draw string top. I would have ordered them from Bond but forgot to add it the last time I purchased a hat from him (great hat by the way!) so it was simpler to have my wife sew it for me. I have two and keep one in the car in case I forget to take one with me.

jkingrph

Practically Family

... or to abide by some etiquette of years past ?

Agree in part. When I was in the Air Force, at the officers clubs, there was a room at the entrance with cubbies to store our hats while in the club, no problem, we had a pretty iron clad honor system, make sure you only took your own hat when leaving. In ten years active duty and seven in reserves never had a problem of loosing a hat. Now to the civilian world, It has been years since I have seen a hat in a restaurant much less a hat check station. If and only if there is room in a booth, or an extra chair will I take my hat off. Not on the table and not definitely not on the floor, I paid too much for most of them to chance having them damaged or soiled. We had a nice western hat stolen from a hat /coat rack in our church foyer a few years ago, so mine goes into church with me and has its on spot in the pews.

Times and customs change. I am 70 years old and was brought up to remove hats when entering a building. Nowdays that is not always practical or convenient, so I wear it wherever and whenever I wish, conventions be damned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner