Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Hat Issues

Hercule

Practically Family
OR... the hostess recognized you as a Proper Gentlemen and treated you exactly as such by having the courtesy and manners and etiquette (as a hostess in a fine restaurant should) to ask you if she could help you with your hat as they often would ask a Lady or Gentlemen if they may take your coat. I wish more fine restaurants would do the same as it would make hat wearing customers much more comfortable dinning in fine establishments. Hense she possibly treated the ill mannered customer as such and you with more dignity and respect.

Amen brother! I think you nailed that in the head!

I'd sooner think the hostess viewed it more as a walking tip.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I can see, you guys have some pretty clever ways of adapting the rooms environment....lol

I try to do the same...But some lessons that I have learned the hard way...
1. If I have set it on the table, someone ALWAYS spills something on it! It's a law of nature...
2. If sat on a chair, someone ALWAYS sits on it....The ears of an empty chair back are cool...
3. My hat will not be put on the floor...
4. On your knees while sitting in a friends living room maybe, but never at a dinner table...it becomes a crumb or spill catcher again...
5. If sat on women's pocketbooks that are in an empty chair....one of the ladies will ALWAYS need something, and pick up your hat and set it in another empty chair while she gets her pocket book...when immediately someone else will sit on it...ALWAYS !

So thinking of how to use the local landscape is first, but when no exceptable solution presents itself, the hat stays on my head....If the place isn't hip enough to give me an option for my hat then it isn't hip enough for me to worry about it....

The above examples of cause and affect, I have personally seen happen either to me or someone else more than once....But not to me anymore...because I eventually learned from them....

I do try to use hat etiquette whenever possible, but I do believe the rules have changed over the years...For one reason, the baseball cap has changed the rules...And this business of resturants not having a place for your hat. Also if one makes a show of removing their hat for a lady, many times people these days resent it. They think you are trying to make a statement or get attention. So we really have to size up the situation, and be cool. And of course sometimes it is the right thing to do, so I think these days, we have to use our heads and improvise...It's not as clear cut as it once was. But as hat wearing is definitely coming back, the new etiquette will sort itself out...And we will see a new manuel of arms, for modern hat etiquette...
Absolutely.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Recently, while dining with a group in one of our nicer Mexican restaurants, I noticed a hat/coat rack (rarity) in a corner away from our table but within my line of sight. The rack was empty and within minutes after placing my hat on it, our server picked up the rack and placed it next to our table. I certainly expressed my gratitude.
Nows thats rare, and does deserves recognition, praise and applause...

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
12ceb297c0003ad1fc08b5d600a6ad1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Recently, while dining with a group in one of our nicer Mexican restaurants, I noticed a hat/coat rack (rarity) in a corner away from our table but within my line of sight. The rack was empty and within minutes after placing my hat on it, our server picked up the rack and placed it next to our table. I certainly expressed my gratitude.
Some Denver restaurants would have coat hooks on the frame of the booth. They understood that, a good part of the year, people would be coming in with coats. I suppose you could use that hook for a hat. But I've yet to see a place in Da Swamp with that sort of forethought.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I always seem to find a place to put my hat, usually depending on the type of eatery.

Fast food or pizzerias, it stays on my head.

In a diner/IHOP-style place, where I often sit n a booth, the window sill is wide enough. Or if it's just two of us, the seat is wide enough for the hat to sit next to me.

It's when I get into a more formal restaurant that I need to be more mindful or where to put it. On the table? No (ugh). On an empty chair? No, for the spillage reasons stated above. Most often it goes under my chair, where it is well-protected, but not on the floor. A large piece of tissue used to stuff in a gift box makes a very good base for the hat on the floor under my chair. The tissue folds up very compactly for pocket storage.

If the restaurant has cloth napkins, sometimes I'll ask my server for an extra one and put that under the hat before it goes on the floor.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Tonight I located another hat friendly restaurant with hat and coat hooks galore. Should you be in the Portland, OR area down in Selwood is Gino's. The sign over the door says the Original Leipzig Tavern but it's been Gino's for 20 years. Very old school bar and restaurant with great Italian food and really amusing paintings on the wall. I especially recommend the cioppino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner