Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restoring Trilby's...

Cobden

Practically Family
First off, What ho! New to this forum, seems rather splendid if you ask me!

Secondly, many years ago (well, four!) I purchased a wide brimmed trilby/fedora in good nick, but unfortunately due to my insistance on wearing it...well...everywhere (it makes Indiana Jones' Hat look poorly travelled) the brim has gotten a bit wonky. Is it possible to "iron" or "press" the felt brim back into shape? There are one or two other problems with it, such as a small hole on the front of the crown, which has itself been narrowed after many placings upon my bonce; however, I'm not particularly concerned over this; I think it gives it a bit of character. The brim, however, just makes me look like an extra from "Of Mice and Men".

Any hints?

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Hi Cobden, Welcome to the lounge.
It should be easy to restore your brim to it's former glory.
Just wet a tea towel, wring it out so it is damp, place on your brim and iron over with a hot iron. I've found this to work admirably.
As for the hole I've read that these are sometimes mendable by mixing glue with some fibres scraped from the inside of your hat (as long as the colour matches the outside) and filling. I don't know what sort of glue is best however, so maybe another member can enlighten you on the correct method.
Like you say, the hole adds character though. My favorite hats are the most beat up ones:)

Regards,

Jeff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR