Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restretch shrunken wool hat???

Urbansherpa

New in Town
Hi,
I have a Bailey 'LiteFelt' cowboy hat that was left on the hot dashboard after being wet. (Yes, I do know better than that!)
It shrank up like a taco. I re-wet it and tried to stretch it over the curve of the bathtub, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

-Karl

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
my country gentleman cheapo rain hat has done this too. I've tried stretching it, but for me, it's just not worth it.

sorry- I really can't offer any words of wisdom, other than buy a new one, or have it reblocked, though the reblocking would cost almost as much as a new hat.

epic610

One of the Regulars
how about this...

what's the best way to re-shape a wool hat? i have an old one whose brim is crooked; i've tried steam but the shape doesn't hold.

czack

One of the Regulars
Put that puppy down.

Granted I am not very experienced with the vintage fur felt hats, but I have gone through some wool hats in my time. When they get thrashed, shrink, shrivel, etc. it's usually not worth the time, effort, or expense to fix the problem. Get a new hat.

Sox

New in Town
If you are rough with your hats the wool ones are the best choice,
but do some people also buy wool hats for ethical reasons?

Sox

New in Town
I am no expert on wool hats but anything wool will shrink if heated when wet.
I would think it is like a wool sweater and should be left in a cool place to dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats