Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro-extremists? What are we called?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
jamespowers said:
Now there is the rub. Those magazines must be selling to someone or they could not be continually produced. A good section of the population must think those are just wonderful to read. The fact that they have a following means that modern culture accepts them.

Which is exactly my point in bringing them up -- it's *someone's* culture, but it isn't *my* culture. You could also use the example of the mall -- if you walk thru the mall and feel like you're walking the surface of a totally alien world, well, you might be an atavist, regardless of how old your hat is.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
You mean like other words like dancer, hobbyist and drinker? Those terms all have a wide range of meanings within their groups. Does a ballet dancer have to conform to a square dancer's standards? :rolleyes:
Think of whatever term we use as a generalization with modifiers used in from of it just the same way those words are used. Say a 20s-40s Atavist or a Golden Era Atavist.

That word Atavist- speaks to the reappearance of a characteristic in an organism after several generations of absence. Just makes me want to reach for a can of Raid.

Now back to your statement. In this isolated context yes of course. Take a look at the myriad examples given in prior posts. Cookie cutter, pigeon hole that is what I think of when I think atavist based on the tenor of this thread...:)

Feraud said:
Edit - Yes I see your earlier distinction between skinhead anarchists and other white power fans.

I never used the word Nazi. I said Neo-Nazi and never said that was Right Wing. I stated the different forms of stupidity that flew under similar banners. Being a Conservative Right Wing Skinhead was/is one of them.

I'll go you one better. Rather than using examples of "people I talked to" I can tell you how it was from being there.

Let's not derail this topic in semantics.

I take umbrence at your reference to conservatism.

I was in California where were you, did you talke to the people I talked to?

It's always you're right and know better. My life and experience means nothing to you.

Feraud

Bartender
John in Covina said:
I take umbrence at your reference to conservatism.
I don't care at all. Let's leave semantics and politics out of this.
For all you know I may be more conservative than you but call it as it is. My comments also reflect my experiences.

Back to topic.. do we really want to create labels for ourselves seeing how they could be twisted? I say let sleeping dogs lie.

LizzieMaine said:
Which is exactly my point in bringing them up -- it's *someone's* culture, but it isn't *my* culture. You could also use the example of the mall -- if you walk thru the mall and feel like you're walking the surface of a totally alien world, well, you might be an atavist, regardless of how old your hat is.

Geez, I avoid the mall like a plague. I know I feel like it is an alien world. :eusa_doh: That culture can stay where it is. It certainly isn't mine either. :eusa_doh:

Carlisle Blues said:
That word Atavist- speaks to the reappearance of a characteristic in an organism after several generations of absence. Just makes me want to reach for a can of Raid.

Now you know how I feel about hippies. :p ;)

Carlisle Blues said:
Now back to your statement. In this isolated context yes of course. Take a look at the myriad examples given in prior posts. Cookie cutter, pigeon hole that is what I think of when I think atavist based on the tenor of this thread...:)

It is not meant to pigeon hole anyone--not matter what term we decide to use. I think of it as a generalization which can be modified in order to more reflect the individual that you might encounter. However, having a base nomenclature to use is necessary and useful in descriptive situations. The "what are you supposed to be?" cases. I know human is the standard answer but then they walk away thinking of a better term on their own. :rolleyes:

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I believe "Atavist" is better branding-
a slightly obscure, lesser known term for a slightly obscure group.
-"reversion to an earlier type; throwback."
-"The return of a trait or recurrence of previous behavior after a period of absence."

No need to take the biological angle literally- there are only so many words
and this one seems to profile what has been heard so far.

"Anochronist" seems to imply that the individual is somehow mistaken,
in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Although "Atavist" could make people think of "Altavista":rolleyes:

That's what I think.:)

B
T

Carlisle Blues

Now you know how I feel about hippies. :p ;)

Peace Brother James...:p :p :p lol lol

It is not meant to pigeon hole anyone--not matter what term we decide to use. I think of it as a generalization which can be modified in order to more reflect the individual that you might encounter. However, having a base nomenclature to use is necessary and useful in descriptive situations. The "what are you supposed to be?" cases. I know human is the standard answer but then they walk away thinking of a better term on their own. :rolleyes:

Yes but that word *yucky* Atavist does.....in so many many ways....separate us from the rest more than describes what we are or do....it singles out people to be ridiculed. If you think Inspector Gadget is bad wait and watch. The word singles people out. Makes them a target.

In fact if I am out with my FL friends and they use that word I will wear this>>>
yes_i_am_alone_here_tshirt-p2355476544588132313mfu_400.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The point about labels being co-opted and twisted is well taken -- but I'll counter that point with this: there already *are* labels. We have rockabillies on the Lounge, we have jitterbugs, we have Indyfans, we have all sorts of subgroups, and their participation is welcome. The only point of this thread is that there ought to be some clearly descriptive name for that subgroup of us who follow the particular course that's been described. And I'll say again -- if there's going to be a name, and the nature of subcultures being what it is, there *will* be, like it or not, I'd rather those of us ourselves who are members of that particular subgroup decide what it's going to be. And if one *isn't* member of that particular subgroup, why do they even care what its members are called?

I also support and endorse the Senator's idea of a wikipedia article giving accurate information on that particular subgroup -- because I would much rather *not* have such an article written by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. I have no desire to be represented as any kind of a "Time Warp Wife."

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think the only way this will be settled is when we start seeing some term, whatever it may be, coming into general use outside of our control.
It's unfortunate that the temperature in the room has gotten a little warm, maybe we could open a window. ;)

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Back to topic.. do we really want to create labels for ourselves seeing how they could be twisted? I say let sleeping dogs lie.

Nope. Let 14-year-olds label themselves. I'll just be me. :)

JimWagner

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Well, ask any gal in the Powder Room how many times someone has said, "Oh, you look like Dita."

Had to google that one. Never heard of her. Now Gypsy Rose Lee I've heard of.

LizzieMaine said:
The point about labels being co-opted and twisted is well taken -- but I'll counter that point with this: there already *are* labels. We have rockabillies on the Lounge, we have jitterbugs, we have Indyfans, we have all sorts of subgroups, and their participation is welcome. The only point of this thread is that there ought to be some clearly descriptive name for that subgroup of us who follow the particular course that's been described. And I'll say again -- if there's going to be a name, and the nature of subcultures being what it is, there *will* be, like it or not, I'd rather those of us ourselves who are members of that particular subgroup decide what it's going to be. And if one *isn't* member of that particular subgroup, why do they even care what its members are called?

I also support and endorse the Senator's idea of a wikipedia article giving accurate information on that particular subgroup -- because I would much rather *not* have such an article written by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. I have no desire to be represented as any kind of a "Time Warp Wife.
"

He has my endorsement as well. I see stuff on Wikipedia about other things I know a bit about and often wonder who the dope smoker was that wrote that definition. I would rather have a say in being defined broadly or otherwise. Let's face it, we are human being and we categorize things for easier identification in the future. It is the way our brains are configured. If you don't categortize yourself then you will be categorized by people much less qualified to do so. :rolleyes:

Carlisle Blues said:

In fact if I am out with my FL friends and they use that word I will wear this>>>
yes_i_am_alone_here_tshirt-p2355476544588132313mfu_400.jpg

Better to have a self described term than to let some moron use phrases like Inspector Gadget, Indy, Gangster, and a host of others you can find in the Dumbest Comment thread.
You can opt out for sure. If you don't want to be categorized then you can deal with cowboy, pimp, etc., etc. that you will get anyway. :rolleyes:

Carlisle Blues

jamespowers said:
Better to have a self described term than to let some moron use phrases like Inspector Gadget, Indy, Gangster, and a host of others you can find in the Dumbest Comment thread.
You can opt out for sure. If you don't want to be categorized then you can deal with cowboy, pimp, etc., etc. that you will get anyway. :rolleyes:

I have never heard a derogatory name thrown my way....If they have been said it has been out of ear shot. I get compliments and nice looks. I appreciate what is offered.

Therefore to single myself out as an *whatever term is used* is tantamount to introducing myself as my professional title before people get to know me. Therein lies the preconceived notion theory.

Carlisle Blues said:
I have never heard a derogatory name thrown my way....If they have been said it has been out of ear shot. I get compliments and nice looks. I appreciate what is offered.

Therefore to single myself out as an *whatever term is used* is tantamount to introducing myself as my professional title before people get to know me. Therein lies the preconceived notion theory.

You never heard one.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff