Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro Revolution

LordBest

Practically Family
The revolution has been a bit slow starting then, when The Chap just turned ten and I believe the Fedora Lounge is of similar vintage?
I have noticed more hats on men and more women wearing 'vintagey' dresses in the two cities between which I share my time. There may also be a growing acceptance of a more traditional mode of dress, I haven't been called a 'fag' in at least six months.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
There was a TV show a few years ago about a vampire who served in WWII (before his wife turned him into one). It was a good show that some of us Loungers enjoyed--cancelled after one season, of course.

Moonlight

Feraud

Bartender
LordBest said:
There may also be a growing acceptance of a more traditional mode of dress, I haven't been called a 'fag' in at least six months.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the current mode of dress is just a passing fad. The people who called you names now dress like you. Next season they will be wearing whatever is hanging on clothing racks and be back to calling anyone who doesn't look like them names.
There is little enlightenment to be found in modes of dress.

LordBest

Practically Family
Oh they aren't dressing like me, I haven't seen a single other male wearing anything remotely traditional, not even classic preppy. But it doesn't seem to draw as much attention as it did, hence the lack of derogatory remarks.

Tiller

Practically Family
LordBest said:
The revolution has been a bit slow starting then, when The Chap just turned ten and I believe the Fedora Lounge is of similar vintage?
I have noticed more hats on men and more women wearing 'vintagey' dresses in the two cities between which I share my time. There may also be a growing acceptance of a more traditional mode of dress, I haven't been called a 'fag' in at least six months.

For a type of style to last you need a few people who follow it. Which is why places in the UK and here on the East Cost in America seem to have a larger vintage subculture, then other places.

That and there seems to be arise in people who simply enjoy one piece of vintage clothing, whether that's just hats, or bomber jackets.

I do think the vintage subculture is growing though. If people start calling us something (as one thread here discusses in great detail) we will have come a long way.

Feraud

Bartender
Tiller said:
I do think the vintage subculture is growing though. If people start calling us something (as one thread here discusses in great detail) we will have come a long way.
I am waiting to know what they are going to call us! ;) :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Take that WWII novel and throw a few zombies into the mix. It'll sell like hotcakes. ;)

It has been suggested to me! But I'm sticking to my guns. NO ZOMBIES or VAMPIRES in my novels!!!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Shangas said:
Damn Twilight!

I guess there's no chance for me to publish my story (whenever I finish it) set in 17th century England, then...

Actually, I think the market for historical fiction (which a lot of publishers don't seem to think WW2 fits into) remains very strong.

Edward

Bartender
Senator Jack said:
Hey, I'm going through the same thing with my novel set in the New York of 1953. Agents keep asking 'But where are the vampires?'

None of your characters are lawyers? [huh]

Puzzicato said:
P.N Elrod has a vampire/investigative journalist/gumshoe in 1930s Chicago, so zombies on the home front in WW2 would certainly work. lol

OH!!! Where might I track those down? I must check Amazon...

Justdog

Practically Family
Golden Era

I agree. Saw the episode of fringe that had a story line and costuming from the 40.s Very impressive and the characters were all wearing fedoras.

Tiller

Practically Family
Feraud said:
It's those CHP again...:)

We could be the crazy hat and elegantly attired people! Or CHEAP. lol It kind of fits most of us are thrift store shoppers.

"Look out here comes those CHEAP people again."

Wait till they find out how much we spend on hats though. lol

Somehow I prefer the vintage label... connections with wine or not ;) .

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Justdog said:
I agree. Saw the episode of fringe that had a story line and costuming from the 40.s Very impressive and the characters were all wearing fedoras.

I saw the episode too, and while it wasn't strictly a forties homage, it was funny to see the film noir elements crashing into seventies music from Walter's... er, ah... smokey story telling. Plus computers, answer machines, and "cell" phones, all jumbled up with fifties automobiles and Twister dots of color scattered here and there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael