Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

REVIEW: Closet Capers Costumes & Vintage Clothing, Santa Cruz, CA

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Closet Capers Costumes & Vintage Clothing
1211 Soquel Ave
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
Phone: (831) 425-7685

A couple doors near the vintage 1950's movie theatre the Rio, you can find Closet Capers Costumes & Vintage Clothing in Santa Cruz California.

closet_capers1.jpg

The building is near a busy intersection; you will have to park down the street and walk back to the store. The front of the building is pretty typical for Halloween; a few scattered mannequins dressed for the upcoming holiday.

closet_capers2.jpg

A quick question to the owner and staff found this gem of information: this is no longer a vintage clothing store, only a costume store. When I looked, the store was literally packed up to its second floor ceiling and across every square inch of space. Clostrophobics should NOT enter this store!

Since the interior was only clothing rentals of both costumes and vintage (I could not determine how things were stacked; there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the displays) I focused on the outside rack.

A very nice woman, whom I assumed was the owner, briefly told me that the only available vintage that was for sale was outside on a clothing rack. I found her outfit of a striped shirt, short flirty skirt, leather vest, skull and crossbones ankle socks and tennis shoes to be an interesting mix (this IS Santa Cruz after all; and this might be normal dress for a 50+ year old here).

Unfortunately, this was her busiest week of the year, so I didn't want to take her time away from her other customers. She kindly gave me a few prices of items. Below are the items I found on the rack the day I visited. Note there are no tags, so it's "buyer beware" if you find something you like; it's up to you to determine condition and value. However, with the exception of one 1940's Navy Overcoat with noticeable holes, most items seemed to be in good or better condition, with no obvious smells.

While the staff and owner were very nice, I would unfortunately have to say to pass on this location as a vintage resource. But for a vintage rental outfit? I would seriously consider this resource if I was in the area.

closet_capers3.jpg
closet_capers4.jpg

T.J. Agar 1950's quilted smoking jacket, good condition $26 US

closet_capers5.jpg
closet_capers6.jpg

William Yu Bespoke Suit, good condition $26 US

closet_capers7.jpg

Full length woman's fur coat, good condition, size 8/10, fur unknown, $65 US

Down the street from this store, within two blocks, I found Blue Moon Clothing, which started off making Tai Chi clothing with gussets in their pants. Now they are decidely upscale, with quilted embroidered jackets at $376 and fancy linen blend pants with silk lingerie from a variety of companies instead of just their own line. However, I found this beautiful lined silk spotted dress with flounce in the 1940's style for $276. Rough on the pocketbook, so I left it on the rack. But a nice store to visit if in town.

Blue Moon Clothing Company
1129 Soquel Ave, Santa Cruz, CA
(831) 469-4253
http://www.bluemoonclothingco.com/

closet_capers8.jpg

Your vintage reviewer about town ~
Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn