Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of Saddleback Leather Briefcase

JLStorm

Practically Family
I noticed a few threads regarding Saddleback, so I thought I would throw my opinion in. I originally posted this at the Style Forum, figured someone might benefit from it here.

Review of Saddleback Leather XL Briefcase:

I was so curious about Saddleback after hearing so many pros and cons about the company, that I decided to order a bag to evaluate. Since the company offers a 30 day money back guarantee, I figured I had nothing to lose. I realized from all the differing opinions that I needed to feel the bag for myself, examine the leather, and see if the price was justified.

Some information about me: I am not stranger to fine leather. I have most of my jackets custom made and have a fairly good understanding of horse, cow, and goat hides, tanning processes, construction, and durability. While I am a white collar professional now, that wasn’t always the case. I spent many years travelling several countries and 49 of the states. I’ve gotten my hands plenty dirty and brought many leather items to their breaking point through personal travel and on worksites. Sure, I could have used another material, but I love leather. Several years ago I asked Aero Leather to custom design a leather jacket to live up to my needs, they made me a tank. It’s rare any leather goods impress me anymore, although Aero Leather of Scotland never ceases to amaze me. Onto the review:

The Pros:
  • The bag is big enough for all of the things I carry, as both a working professional and graduate student. The bag even has enough room to store a few extras when travelling.
  • The seams are all incredibly well reinforced
  • The metal hardware is top notch

The Cons:
  • The leather is quite a bit thinner and less rigid than I expected
  • The leather was clearly processed to take on a patina quickly and look worn quickly, rather than over time. This makes the leather surface softer and more susceptible to deep lacerations and scratches, although they would only be aesthetic, not structurally impacting.

Detailed Review:
The bag is as heavy as every stated, although the weight is mostly due to the extremely thick seamed sections edges and bottom. The leather itself is less rigid and lighter than I expected, which was a disappointment, however it is more than durable enough for any circumstance it may face.

I expected this bag to be the bullet proof type leather that my custom jackets are made from and I suppose that was asking a bit too much. While I have several jackets that I knew would be of much thicker and tougher leather than this bag, I really thought that it would be very similar to my 5.5oz chrome tanned cow hide leather jacket I had made by Aero Leather Co. in Scotland, but it is nowhere near as thick or as tough. The bag couldn’t hold a candle to the toughness extreme abuse that my jacket was made to endure. However, that doesn’t mean that the bag isn’t built plenty tough for what is required of it. I just simply expected more. Additionally, I really enjoy the process of using a leather good and have it form a patina or “battle scars” over years of hard use. This bag was clearly made to help the average Joe look like they had put years of hard wear on it, when in reality, it will most likely only take a few months.

So, quite a few people have asked if this bag is worth the price tag that it carries and the simple answer is both yes and no.

If you are looking for a simple beautiful leather bag that can hold up to almost anything that you can throw at it, there are much cheaper alternatives out there that will look just as good and be just as tough. What you are paying for in this bag is the fact that each panel is a single piece of full grain leather and not several hides compressed together, while this may matter to some, no one but the owner will know the vast majority of the time. This is one of those things that you either don’t care about, or that will bother you, but it has no effect on the durability in similar thicknesses of leather. The other feature that you are paying for in this bag is the incredible strength of the seams and the way the hardware is riveted to the bag. This bag has several O rings that can be used as attachment points. These O rings are secured to the bag by such superior thread and metal fittings, as well as several strips of full grain leather, that you could easily hang a 10 pound weight off of each one with no fear of any part of the bag failing. This is a great feature that will be used by almost no one; however there is no doubt, the workmanship is topnotch.

If you do not care about all of these attachment points, or the amount of over engineering that went into securing the hardware to the bag, there are bags that can be had for much less (even in full grain leather) that will fit the bill just fine and last longer than you will. If you want to be able to walk into a jungle and hang 40 pounds of coconuts from your bag for days on end without fear of it breaking, you probably aren’t carrying leather, but in the off chance that you require a leather bag that you can lash 40 pounds of coconuts to, this is the bag for you.

As Dave from Saddleback has stated several times on his website, he is targeting a very small and select audience with his leather bags. He isn’t trying to become a household name and has no illusion that his bag is for everyone and that sums it up fairly clearly.

I’m sure 99% of people that buy his bags are not buying them to use them to their breaking point, because realistically, it makes no sense to carry a leather bag into remote locations where failure is not an option and weight is always an issue; especially when there are so many lightweight durable waterproof fabrics now available. This bag is worth the price for those of you who want to know they have a very over engineered non mass produced leather bag, those people who would be kept awake at night if they didn’t buy a 100% full grain leather bag, who need a leather bag with lots of attachment points and little risk of failure, and those who believe that Saddleback uses the thickest, toughest leather on the planet (they don’t).

Will I keep this bag? I am undecided. I am completely underwhelmed by the thickness and stiffness of the leather, I really did expect much more. However as mentioned before, this has no impact on the bag’s durability, it’s simply personal preference. I don’t know if anyone makes a thicker leather bag than Saddleback in this style, I doubt it, but I would imagine some make them stiffer. Regardless of my personal expectations, rest assured that the workmanship is topnotch. The seams are straight, the cutting is uniform, and the bag is beautiful.

univibe88

One Too Many
I have a Saddleback bag and an Aero jacket. I don't find the leather on the bag to be thin at all. Nor do I find the leather on the jacket to be notably thicker.

JLStorm

Practically Family
univibe88 said:
I have a Saddleback bag and an Aero jacket. I don't find the leather on the bag to be thin at all. Nor do I find the leather on the jacket to be notably thicker.

I dont know what type of hide you have, but my heavy steer is definitely thicker and heavier, by a decent margin.

I worked with saddleback explained my concerns and they were willing to take the bag back paying shipping and refunding my initial shipping. The major issue that they make the bag to age so quickly.

After looking around at similar makers Walden, Mitchell, and Custom Hide, and given the more refined brief I already have, I decided to keep the bag. If I was interesting in something that looked more refined, I would have gone with Walden or Mitchell though. Im still annoyed over the finishing process though, I'll never get over that.

univibe88

One Too Many
I have a horsehide Aero. I believe that horse is not as thick as steer, but I don't remember for sure. Your experience with leather means you would know better than me.

Which color Saddleback do you have? I have the dark tobacco brown. I've carried it every day for about a year. The backside that rubs against my hip when I carry with the shoulder strap is definitely darker than the rest.

I agree with your assessment that the bag is very well constructed and rugged. However after carrying mine for a year I'm working on something new. I just haven't become attached the bag the way I thought I would. I'm just glad they get good resale on ebay.

JLStorm

Practically Family
univibe88 said:
I have a horsehide Aero. I believe that horse is not as thick as steer, but I don't remember for sure. Your experience with leather means you would know better than me.

Which color Saddleback do you have? I have the dark tobacco brown. I've carried it every day for about a year. The backside that rubs against my hip when I carry with the shoulder strap is definitely darker than the rest.

I agree with your assessment that the bag is very well constructed and rugged. However after carrying mine for a year I'm working on something new. I just haven't become attached the bag the way I thought I would. I'm just glad they get good resale on ebay.

Their horsehide is lighter and less stiff, but I dont remember the exact weight. I know their steerhide is 5.50z+, I think their horse is around 4oz. I got the chestnut, I know I'll like the bag, but its not like I had a ton of choices unless I went custom which I just didnt want to do. I wanted something that I could toss around whehter in the office or on a worksite without fear of it looking like crap if it got scratched. Saddleback bags look better the more beatup they are, I was just hoping that it would be like a good leather jacket and take time and effort to wear in, I enjoy that process.

My options were limited as I needed a bag big enough to carry my work things, as well as all my textbooks, case studies, tablets, etc for grad school. I also wanted something that could double as a weekend bag, so lots of dividers were out and I needed something big. Like I said, I didnt have a lot of options.

What about the bag didnt grow on your like you thought it would?

Edward

Bartender
The one feature that really appealed to me on a Saddleback I've not seen elsewhere is the capability to convert from shoulderbag to backpack. I'm still keeping an eye out for a bag in that style from a more affordable source.

Lou

One of the Regulars
JLStorm, thank you for the review. I've had my eye on Saddleback Leather for quite a while, but that processed "aging" is a deal breaker.

univibe88

One Too Many
JLStorm said:
What about the bag didnt grow on your like you thought it would?

It's nothing specific and it's hard to say. It's just a feeling. I'm not attached to it. I have no problem selling it and getting a different bag.

Unlike my Aero jacket which I feel very attached to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner