Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Revolutionary War Films?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ah, now. If you want to get into swashbucklers, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. "Captain Blood", "Treasure Island" (all versions), "Kidnapped", too many to count.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Yes a good adaption of Washington's younger years would make an excellent film... Washington's story is so interesting its the only reason I recommended that cheesy Barry Bostwick mini-series.

Also, Lafayette also lead a very interesting life and would make another excellent flick I think.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I always wished there had been a film about the Revolution with James Cagney as John Adams and Henry Fonda as Thomas Jefferson. And maybe John Wayne as George Washington. Any other suggestoons for other characters?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I always wished there had been a film about the Revolution with James Cagney as John Adams and Henry Fonda as Thomas Jefferson. And maybe John Wayne as George Washington. Any other suggestoons for other characters?

John Wayne as George Washington? I'd never pictured that, I always thought his persona would've made a good Nathanael Greene. James Stewart's more subdued style always struck me as pretty Washington-like.

As for movies about the American War of Independence, there was a TV series made in the 60's called the Swamp Fox I think...I used to love it as a kid! The main character is based somewhat on a historical figure -- maybe Francis Marion? --

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I'm not so sure about Wayne for Washington. As far as looks is concerned I think the late Anthony Quayle could have played him. The other thought I had for George was Jim Arness.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Magnificent Doll, 1946. Ginger Rogers and Burgess Meredith paly James and Dolly Madison. It's actually a quite decent little movie that has been forgotten about and isn't available on DVD. It is, however, available to watch (in 10 minute increments) on YouTube.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:

I suggest John Wayne be Daniel Morgan, bigger, badder, louder, and more ornery and more country than Washington.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Since some mentioned themes in Europa from that time I think that a movie about the infamous Marquis de Sade would also match the criteria. There was the old one "Sade" with Daniel Auteuil which is OK but a little bit too slow. Personally I preffer Quills from the year 2000 with Geoffrey Rush (some may know him as a pirate ;) ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner