Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RIP Grandmom

On Monday, August 13th, I lost my great-grandmother Emily one day short of her 90th birthday. She'd been healthy for most of her life but the last couple of months brought a rapid chain reaction of problems. I don't really believe the loss has fully hit me yet, but I wanted to write something for her....

You'd been a daughter, a wife, a mother, a friend, a sister and a grandmother before we first met. When I showed up in the last part of the bell-bottomed 1970s, you were a young 61 with the vibrancy of a teenager. I was trying to get used to this blue marble and I'm sure I babbled incoherently at times - but somehow I knew you understood.

I wasn't old enough to comprehend the times you came from. You'd survived the stock market crash, the great depression and world war II by the time you were in your 20s. Your family was able to maintain then and afterwards. Now that I'm old enough to appreciate it, I'd like you to know how proud I am to be part of your family.

Through my adolescence, your home was my sanctum. You and Poppy were a second set of parents to me, and I owe a lot of my growth to that unselfishness. I never forgot one breakfast, lunch or dinner you made for me, nor how you never complained about doing it when I know you must've been tired at times. There was a comfort in that house that I can't find the words to describe. It was a presence in itself, but even if the structure had burned to the ground, I would've felt the joys of home under your watchful eyes.

During my teen years, high school's bells divided my life into 45 minute sections. At the end of those days, I would stop in to find you sitting in your usual spot at the kitchen table - watching soap operas. I knew the ambiance of the actors' voices; I'd grown up with them in the background. It was one more reassurance that I was in Poppy and Grandmom's house. As far as I was concerned, nothing could break those walls. I knew I was always welcome, unconditionally.

Poppy left us a few days before I turned 17. There was a devestating void that lingered for months, but I knew we had you. You were the other half of the family's backbone. You kept us up straight even though you'd spend your 57th wedding anniversary with memories.

I went through my 20s the way most do, trying to grow mentally while time aged you physically. Your personality never aged though, you still loved a good dance and hitting on the waiters at someone else's wedding. You never missed an opportunity to capture everyone's attention. I just wish I could pay you more of mine.

There is no ending road where you are, but down here we feel the separation. I know the colors are beautiful there, and if given the opportunity, you'd never want to return to your earthly life. I wouldn't ask you to. Just as I sit in life's waiting room until I'm called, you waited years to see those who'd left you behind. Now you can. You're with Poppy, your parents, brothers, sisters and friends, enjoying the parties of forever. I'll be here remembering until I'm there to join in. In the meantime, you'd better grab Poppy and find a seat. The ragtime band is waiting to play...

20932805_118706079117.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
So sorry to hear of your loss.

"..but even if the structure had burned to the ground, I would've felt the joys of home under your watchful eyes"

What a beautiful tribute, you must have loved her so.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
My sympathies to you and your family.....You have written a wonderful tribute to someone who, I'm sure, was even more wonderful.

May God Bless You!

Rooster

Practically Family
Sorry for your loss. I lost the last of my grand parents back in '93. I miss all of them more every year that passes.:(

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's too bad she is gone from here. But take heart. My Grandma died in 1987 and I still dream about her. Did so last night in fact.

warbird

One Too Many
Very sorry for your loss. Condolences to your family. May God raise His light upon her and grant her peace.

Thank you for sharing your tribute to her with us.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
I'm so sorry of hearing about your loss. I lost mine 4 yrs. ago and I miss her more than ever. Thanks for sharing your tribute.

Edward

Bartender
I'd like to add my condolences, for what they may be worth. It doesn't get anyt easier to have lost folks so speacial as that, but with time you do readjust and deal with the loss better. I live in the hope that one day we will all be reunited in some form.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
I am so sorry for the loss of your much loved and admired great-grandmother, please accept my condolences.

Beautiful and fitting eulogy, if I may say so.

Take care,

Shellie

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
My deepest sympathies to you are yours. Rest assured, you will see her again.........someday.

Blessings for you and your family.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
My condolences to you and your family.

My mother is 88 years old, from that generation; so far, she is doing fine, but I know that someday I will lose her, too.

Thank you for your eloquent tribute to a loved one from "the greatest generation."

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav