Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riri zipper question

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
I am looking into zipper options for my next jacket.
I am settled on a Riri zipper.
Has anybody experience with either of these:
RIRI_top_catena_BL (1).jpg

Riri "Top"

or

RIRI_solid_catena_BL.jpg

Riri "Solid"

I think panhead58 has a jacket with one of these.

Any opinions? I don't have experience with Riri zips but heard they are good.

I had a bunch of jackets with RiRi zippers. They're usually used on highest-end leather jackets. I don't really know why. They work, that's all I can tell you but I don't see what makes them better than the YKK.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Most Riri zips I had are the second picture kind, but in bigger sizes.

First pic the teeth are very similar to Crown zips I have. If you can find large size in those in metal that is what I would go for. Mainly for looks. Riri tracks are pretty solid.

This is for the Greg jacket right? Doesn't he get the Waldes? They're not bad either:
IMG_3683.JPG

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Yes, for the fields. I have to procure the zips myself, unfortunately.
I dig the looks of the riri zip on the right of your picture.
Good to hear, that they are top notch.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yes, for the fields. I have to procure the zips myself, unfortunately.
I dig the looks of the riri zip on the right of your picture.
Good to hear, that they are top notch.
That's NOS Crown on the right, but it looks just like the Riri you posted. I've not seen them (Riri metal Crown looking) in metal before. If you can get them get them. They look cool and beefy.
Buckleguy is one of the US stockist/custom Riri zip guy. But last time I checked he only has the straight teeth one like your second pic.

I had a RiRi #8 on a jacket, and man, was it smooth! I get it!
The same jacket also had a Waldes chest zip in unfinished brass that patined beautifully.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got two riri-zippers, one each on my cardigan and my troyer, and couldn’t be happier with these. Material is brass base with Nickel and Chrome plating. Rock solid, sea water resistant, smoothest function and high stability, real top notch.

RLT.jpg

Rymhart3.jpg

Card8.jpg

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I should be a little more specific. The RiRi I was referring to is a strictly military special purpose zippers. Just like the crowns used in the same type of garments. Those were design to perform very demanding applications. Talon and other companies did produce a "super" #10 zipper for the military. The Brando jacket in the movie the wild one had one. I was told those were available as surplus after the Korean war. I personally do not have any of the mil. grade RiRi's zippers but have used them on flight suit back on the day. I did had a chance to take one home but the garments were just to bulky for my small luggage. The garments I used were older maybe 80's and I believe it had original made RiRi zippers. Not a clone. The quality of the nickel was the best I have ever seen.

Here are original 50's Mil. Specs crown and Talon.
crown and talon comp updated.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Thanks a lot for all your input! I will look out for a no. 8 riri zip as the 10s a too bulky for my liking.

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
I have one of these on my Vanson Enfield.
I find it easier to operate than the smaller Talon from Aero and LW.
Maybe it's because it's bigger but I have #5 YKK Universal that also are easier to engage and zip up so I don't think it's just about size.

riri.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner