Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rita Hayworth - Hair and Style

Francoise

New in Town
Recreating Rita Hayworth's look

I posted this same type question in the pin curl thread, I guess I should await a response but my curiosity is killing me! I'd really like to recreate Rita Hayworth's flowing curls. While I was searching for instructions I found this amazing tutorial and instantaneously began attempting to recreate the look myself. Unfortunately I wasn't as lucky this morning when I took my curls out.

I have been experimenting with pin curls mostly and all the experimenting I try still leaves me with the same finished product: an over sized afro of fluffy curls on top of my head impossible to tame.

For anyone who has experimented with a look similar to Rita's, what are the most common mistakes made and how can I avoid them? I have the overall technique down but I think that the hardest part for me is combing pin curls out, I always seem to ruin them (turn them into fluff) when I do so.

Also, if I could ask one more favor, could anyone offer up some suggestions on how to recreate any of these styles (I know they're all pretty different from one another but I figure the more variety I show the better chances I'll have of someone who has done this look themselves):
http://claudia79.tripod.com/bellarita/wannabehus.jpg
http://claudia79.tripod.com/images3/stars.jpg
http://claudia79.tripod.com/pictures/mystery.jpg
http://claudia79.tripod.com/rhpix/leopard.jpg

Thanks for any help. All of you ladies are so talented with your hair!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
How did we miss that girls? Good one LO!

Francoise, unfortunately I would suggest reading the entire "show us your hairdos" thread... pretty much all the info is in there somewhere. Each pic you linked is different as you said, and also different lengths. So it depends on your cut as to how close to the results you want to acheive.

There are also a few sticky threads that should help!
Best wishes,
Nikki

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
The only thing I can think of on a general 'curls out of control' idea...is that perhaps you need to brush or comb them out more..and reform them into better curls after that...

I know that when I set mine, I end up Shirley Temple...and it takes Combing, and adding styling creme, to get them to loosen and shape how I want.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Welcome to the lounge, Francoise!
[off-topic] I'm a huge Francoise Hardy fan too! :)
I haven't seen the photo in your avatar before, is it by Jean-Marie P?©rier? [/off-topic]

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Lolita's tutorial is great isn't it! I wish I hadn't cut a fringe!

I can't really offer any advice apart from if you've got the knack of making the curls, make sure they are all dead even in size and spacing so when you take them out they fall into waves. Pomade is great for smoothing out curls too.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yup, if you twist as you roll your hair will turn out spriraly, and will always separate more into their own curls. It tends to fuzz more as well.
I have trouble doing this on myself unless I use endpapers... I need to just buy a new set of good ol' magnetic rollers.
Nikki

Francoise

New in Town
Thanks for all of your help! By reading the advice that you have offered I have come to the conclusion that it is possible I have been twisting my hair as I am rolling it. I have never tried setting lotion, but will definitely invest in some since recently I have been fascinated by the style of the 40s.

Thanks to the whole community again!

Welcome to the lounge, Francoise!
[off-topic] I'm a huge Francoise Hardy fan too!
I haven't seen the photo in your avatar before, is it by Jean-Marie P?©rier? [/off-topic]

ShrinkingViolet, I am so happy to meet another Francoise Hardy fan! I don't know who took the picture in my avatar but I found that picture at this website. You'll love this website, it has a great photo gallery.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I am popping in here a bit late... The only things I can suggest without actually seeing what your hair does is possibly using bigger sections of hair to create a bigger curl, or let it set for a shorter amount of time so the hair doesn't have time to set in as much. Keep practicing with your hair and figure out what works for youi and what doesn't. :)

Blondie

Practically Family
Great tutorial LolitaHaze, but where do you get those bendy perm rods from ? I have never seen perming rods like that before !

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Ladies... Thanks for the compliments. :)

Blondie... I was wrong when I called them perming rods, they are actually Pillow Curlers. The kind I have are heatable and I bought them at Ulta. Hope this helps. :)

deelovely

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
Ladies... Thanks for the compliments. :)
Blondie... I was wrong when I called them perming rods, they are actually Pillow Curlers. The kind I have are heatable and I bought them at Ulta. Hope this helps. :)
Last night I came across the tutorial Lolita Haze did in this thread and decided I must try this! I went to Sally Beauty today and got what are called Super Rollers. They are bendy but they are not heated... they have different widths and I got a kinda medium width- more toward large rather than small since I don't want tight curls. I also bought some Lottabody... Do you girls think these rollers will work even without heat? Do I start out with my hair dry and brushed out straight and then put some lotta body through my hair and then roll it? Help, need advice please![huh]

~*Red*~

Practically Family
deelovely said:
Last night I came across the tutorial Lolita Haze did in this thread and decided I must try this! I went to Sally Beauty today and got what are called Super Rollers. They are bendy but they are not heated... they have different widths and I got a kinda medium width- more toward large rather than small since I don't want tight curls. I also bought some Lottabody... Do you girls think these rollers will work even without heat? Do I start out with my hair dry and brushed out straight and then put some lotta body through my hair and then roll it? Help, need advice please![huh]

I have those same rollers, I just got them a week ago! They do work without heat. One night on dry hair I used some setting lotion, (mine was a foaming kind I found in the black hair section) and just put a little in my hair, and rolled in the rods. Slept in them.. rather comfortably I might add, and then next morning, nice curls, lasted 2 days! I used the blue ones. I used probably 11 or twelve...so I took bigger sections for my hair. I usually use about 20. Good luck!! :D

deelovely

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
I have those same rollers, I just got them a week ago! They do work without heat. One night on dry hair I used some setting lotion, (mine was a foaming kind I found in the black hair section) and just put a little in my hair, and rolled in the rods. Slept in them.. rather comfortably I might add, and then next morning, nice curls, lasted 2 days! I used the blue ones. I used probably 11 or twelve...so I took bigger sections for my hair. I usually use about 20. Good luck!! :D
Great! Thank you so much Red! And I didn't think about sleeping with them but that sure would save me a lot of time! I am pretty sure that I got the blue ones as well... that's pretty bad that I can't remember for sure since I only bought them less than 2 hours ago:eusa_doh: but they are in my car and I am back at work now. I just know I debated over which size to get for about 5 minutes at least! Haha lol Well, if I get time to try them tonight I will take pics and post (if it turns out ok looking!)lol

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I definitely want to try it!! pigeon toe I'm growing my bangs too, I'm fed up with this growing process!! I can't do anything with my hair lol!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner