Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rita Hayworth - Hair and Style

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
ohairas said:
Yup, if you twist as you roll your hair will turn out spriraly, and will always separate more into their own curls. It tends to fuzz more as well.
I have trouble doing this on myself unless I use endpapers... I need to just buy a new set of good ol' magnetic rollers.
Nikki

ok this may be a really stupid question but what in the heck are magnetic rollers and how do they work HA-HA

~*Red*~

Practically Family

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
Thank you for the links, they look like a simple plastic roller, are they really magnetic? What if you had a plate in your head, could that hurt some one?
I know that sounds like a really stupid question but I would love to get some for school for when I do roller sets but im not sure if that could hurt some one with a health problem or if im reading to much into it. Are they better than normal plastic rollers?
If any one can tell me a bit more I would be much appreciated.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I use the Wrap, Snap and Go pillow rollers (the ends snap together for a really secure hold) and do dry sets with setting lotion and pomade. I get a great curl if I leave them in for 4 hours or more, and usually I blast them a few times with heat, but the heat really isn't necessary for taking the curl.

deelovely

Practically Family
KittyT said:
I use the Wrap, Snap and Go pillow rollers (the ends snap together for a really secure hold) and do dry sets with setting lotion and pomade. I get a great curl if I leave them in for 4 hours or more, and usually I blast them a few times with heat, but the heat really isn't necessary for taking the curl.
When do you put the pomade on? Same time as the setting lotion? I did a dry set last night with the setting lotion... wasn't sure how much to put though so not sure about that. Anyway, the curls did look good this morning but I don't really have any clips to pull the sides up with, so the top is just kind of hanging flatter than the rest, the curls still seem to relax too much and turn more to frizz... But I have still gotten at least a few compliments on it today!:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
deelovely said:
When do you put the pomade on? Same time as the setting lotion?

I apply it to the ends after applying the setting lotion.

I did a dry set last night with the setting lotion... wasn't sure how much to put though so not sure about that.

You just need enough to dampen the hair with the setting lotion. Make sure you comb it through to evenly coat the hair.

I don't really have any clips to pull the sides up with, so the top is just kind of hanging flatter than the rest

That's OK and normal, and doesn't look bad. Make sure you're rolling your hair all the way up to the root to give it more body at the roots and on top.

the curls still seem to relax too much and turn more to frizz...

Longer set, more setting lotion, and hairspray :)

deelovely

Practically Family
Well,,, I went out on my lunch break and bought a headband... it looks a little better I guess. I snapped a pic with the camera on my phone..

Deanna-1.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Lilredrooster said:
Thank you for the links, they look like a simple plastic roller, are they really magnetic? What if you had a plate in your head, could that hurt some one?
I know that sounds like a really stupid question but I would love to get some for school for when I do roller sets but im not sure if that could hurt some one with a health problem or if im reading to much into it. Are they better than normal plastic rollers?
If any one can tell me a bit more I would be much appreciated.

They are normal plastic rollers. And beauty schools require you to have a set (of about 5 sizes) for your wet sets. You can find the sets on ebay and Sallys carries the very set as well. They are the kind that require clippes for hold, and are standing up. I have no idea why they are called magnetic, but I think I might have to research, becasue I wonder about that too! ha ha!;)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
deelovely said:
Well,,, I went out on my lunch break and bought a headband... it looks a little better I guess. I snapped a pic with the camera on my phone..

Deanna-1.jpg

Your curls look great!! :eusa_clap Sometimes, it's just a matter of getting used to seeing yourself with the curls, and then learning how to play with them.. brush them, set into waves, make rolls, use combs, etc. Great job!

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
~*Red*~ said:
They are normal plastic rollers. And beauty schools require you to have a set (of about 5 sizes) for your wet sets. You can find the sets on ebay and Sallys carries the very set as well. They are the kind that require clippes for hold, and are standing up. I have no idea why they are called magnetic, but I think I might have to research, becasue I wonder about that too! ha ha!;)
OK BOY DO I FEEL BETTER! HA-HA-HA:eusa_doh: i have the plastic ones for school and i thought these look the same but i thought there was someting about the magnetic ones i was missing, like the clip stuck to it or someting. i may have to do some looking into that but i really thought i missed something on that one. thank you so much.

Snookie

Practically Family
When you push the combs in, the teeth are buried in your hair and all you can see is the strip they're all connected to at the top (there's got to be a technical term for that, right?). You can't see it in most of the pics, because her hair poufs in the front, but if you looked at her from the side you could see it. There's one shot where you can see it a smidge, proof that it's there.

You can get combs in a variety of colors, to match your hair or contrast. Super cheap at the drugstore, although some of my friends with thicker hair complain they don't hold. If they aren't holding for you, try backcombing a bit to see if that helps.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
DahliaOleander... Just what Snookie said. You just push the comb in your hair. :)

Snookie... I find that the thickness/stregnth of the plastic is what holds my hair or not. Two combs can be the exact same dementions, but the flimsy one will just fall out or even break when I am trying to put it in. It's hit or miss when it comes to which drugstore ones work for me. I suppose I should take better care with paying attention to what brands are made how!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am the Queen of Combs

as my everyday hairdo is to use two to put the sides back. I probably have about 25 pairs with various decorative tops on them, I can't resist a pair of combs!
Tips!
Put the comb in from underneath (so the comb itself is upside down, back of it facing out) then flip it over as you're pushing it in.
Also, if they tend to fall out, put hairspray on the teeth.
And, if they still fall out, take a bobby pin and put it so its halves are on either side of the teeth, one below next to your head, and one above (but buried in the hair so it doesn't show). I do the bobby pin and they stay put all day long.
Combs, glorious combs!

cashun

New in Town
Hey Everyone-

I just watched Down to Earth last night with Rita Hayworth, and I have a question about her gorgeous silky hair. HOW! HOW! HOW! How does Rita got that gorgeous lustrous hair. It's not just the curls, there must be some product that makes it look as it feels like silk satin if you touch it. I've got the style it self down, but the texture and floaty hair thing that she has I haven't been able to duplicate. I've tried to get my hair to look like that, but it always comes off as frizzy, limp, or hairsprayed like a helmet. What do you guys think it is that I'm doing wrong. Could it be the shampoo and conditioner, the styling products, my hair is just completely ugly and unmanagable. What? Who has managed to replicate the gorgeous hair of Rita, please tell me all of your secrets.

bgltexas

New in Town
Vinegar and Water Rinse

I recently discovered that a vinegar and water rinse (I let it sit on my hair a minute and then wash it out) when I shampoo has done wonders for my hair. I was afraid to try it with my colored hair, but it didn't seem to effect the color. If you color your hair, you might check with your hairdresser first. Mine actually suggested it might help keep the color from fading. I had been using shampoo with conditioner plus high gloss conditioners and my hair was getting the roadkill fur feeling it gets between coloring at my hairdresser's. The rinse left my hair very soft and shiny and holding a soft curl. Who knew simple vinegar and water could be miraculous.

Brenda

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner