Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RMC Shinki HH -- always so shiny?

polloelastico

Familiar Face
I'm Looking at the pictures of the RMC jackets -- and while they are super cool, the shiny part is not so cool to me. Does this wear off quickly and become more of a matte finish? Aside from that, they seem great albeit quite expensive.

polloelastico

Familiar Face
Well, I guess it's a moot point, the sleeves on a 40 are just 25" and I need at least 25.5 - 26". Too bad, I really like the style on the Steinbeck Sports Jacket. Normally I don't like half-belts either. Anyone make a similar cut? I know about the aero, but something about that one doesn't work for me. I like how the RMC has more of a moto look.

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shinki hides vary dramatically in terms of shininess. In my experience, RMC's Shinki hides are middle of the road in terms of shininess.

You identified my biggest gripe with many Japanese made jacket -- the sleeve length. If you like the Steinbeck style, but want to a longer sleeve, consider the Himel Frobisher or the GW Modoc. Both are available in Shinki, and the sleeve can be made as long as you want.

Many pics from many makers using many hides look shinier than they actually are due to certain filters/adjustments made in software.
I happen to like shine, but that's my quirk. I've actually been disappointed a couple times when the jacket arrived and was dull compared to pics.

Woodyear

Familiar Face
The shine is typically just some form of acrylic sealant. You can usually knock it down with some isopropyl alcohol relatively easily if you so desire, although this can make the leather far less resistant to stains, water etc, also the color can sometimes rub off or bleed especially if wet once the sealer is removed but usually it's not too bad.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One question about the RMC Steinbeck. Where do i find one in Shinki?
On the RMC website in London i only find brown and black jackets in polish HH.
https://www.realmccoyslondon.com/eu...oy-steinbeck-sports-jacket-black/category/36/

Both the brown and black Steinbeck jackets are made out of Shinki HH.

The RMC store in London has both brown and black Steinbeck jackets for sale: https://www.realmccoyslondon.com/us/categories/all-outerwear/test-1.html . They also have the RMC Oklahoma, which is the same cut but in deerskin.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It looks like most of Chapman's Shinki examples (in pictures) aren't too shiny. I can't stand the shininess either.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars

polloelastico

Familiar Face
consider the Himel Frobisher or the GW Modoc

I really like the GW Modoc but can't do the 2 year wait.... The back of the Himel is too busy for me, yet the front is great. I always like the front of the 30s half-belts, but most lose me on the back. I much prefer a more moto style back.

OK, same jacket, same time, same lighting. Only difference is adjustments to pics after. One has none, one has some highlights/shadows adjusted.

IMG_6427.JPG
IMG_6426.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112