Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rockport Dressport substitutes

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I know some of you may dislike Rockport since I guess they were partly responsible for helping to kill leather soled shoes. Anyways, I have a pair of USA made Oxford Dressports that I purchased in 1995. I still wear them sometimes but the leather has chunks missing in the toe (from abuse) which shoe polish does not conceal. They are arguably the most comfortable "dress" shoes I've ever owned. I purchased a newer Chinese made pair of Rockports in 2009 but they don't have the same quality or comfort. Are there any current manufacturers that make something comparable to the old Dressports?

kyboots

Practically Family
I know some of you may dislike Rockport since I guess they were partly responsible for helping to kill leather soled shoes. Anyways, I have a pair of USA made Oxford Dressports that I purchased in 1995. I still wear them sometimes but the leather has chunks missing in the toe (from abuse) which shoe polish does not conceal. They are arguably the most comfortable "dress" shoes I've ever owned. I purchased a newer Chinese made pair of Rockports in 2009 but they don't have the same quality or comfort. Are there any current manufacturers that make something comparable to the old Dressports?

I wore the Rockports Dressports back in the 1990's for a job that required me to be on my feet 18-20 hours day. It was due to a bum knee that I tore up in an accident and those shoes saved my life and the job. The soft ? vibram sole realy got me through the days. Those shoes were great and I for one support and recommend those to anyone who needs that look. The last pair I purchased was $89.00 so I doubt if you have to have all of your budget.---John

Fifty150

One Too Many
If you're like me, and you like to have rubber soles for traction, then you should consider having a cobbler add a soling sheet of rubber to the leather bottoms. Vibram and Topy are popular brands.
AEwVibram.jpg
allenedmonds_sole-31_butyl-leather.jpg

kyboots

Practically Family
I don't know how well made or what brand of shoe is better; but I can tell you I never had a problem with my several pairs of Rockports. They would be donated to Goodwill when I got tired of them, not that they fell apart. I never had a single problem with them back in those days. At that price I never really worried about it.--John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran