Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Role Models

Bolero

A-List Customer
If you have a particular Role Model for any reason, Dress, Attitude, Personality, Career, Accomplishments, Inspirational, Etc...

Here are two of mine and for all of the above reasons and I especially like the way Lee wears his tie...
I think they are both wearing Stetsons, Lee a Stratoliner Vita Felt and Paul a 1st Quality Western...

newman_marvin_denver[1].jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't call him a roll model, but, Steve McQueen. I did not realize until recently, that I must have been channeling his style subconsciously over the years! I have dressed in his motorcycle fashion since the 60s, love antique motorcycles and biplanes. I even know and have ridden with some of his motorcycle buddy's! Strange how that works! I guise it goes to show you, we are all susceptible to propaganda.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Patrick Leigh Fermor:

Sir Patrick Michael Leigh Fermor, DSO, OBE (11 February 1915 – 10 June 2011), also known as Paddy Fermor, was a British author, scholar and soldier who played a prominent role behind the lines in the Cretan resistance during the Second World War. He was widely regarded as Britain's greatest living travel writer during his lifetime, based on books such as A Time of Gifts (1977). A BBC journalist once described him as "a cross between Indiana Jones, James Bond and Graham Greene."​

For me, he personified the golden age of adventure. At age 19 he walked from Holland to Istanbul and (later) wrote a classic about it. Then he lived for four years with a Romanian Princess. When the war broke out he served in intelligence and eventually worked behind enemy lines, coordinating resistance fighters in Crete. In the process he personally kidnapped a German General ---in an act of foolhardy courage. After the war he traveled extensively and wrote classic after classic. Much more than a travel writer, he was a self-educated polymath and linguist and his books are a treasure trove of obscure knowledge on history, art, and folk customs. He seems to have known everyone (Ian Fleming gives him a good reference in one of the James Bond books). PLF also had a charming personality, and was irresistible to women. On the less flattering side, he never held a normal job in his life and was a serial bed-hopper; Interviewed years later for his biography, the ladies still have surprisingly little to say about him that is bad. The man drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney and lived independently well into his 90s. I just admire the fact that he had the courage, intelligence and imagination to live a life that was completely larger than life. Patrick Leigh Fermor is definitely a man that only the golden era could have produced.

Patrick Leigh Fermor.jpg

Last edited:

Bolero

A-List Customer

Sir Patrick Michael Leigh Fermor, DSO, OBE (11 February 1915 – 10 June 2011), also known as Paddy Fermor, was a British author, scholar and soldier who played a prominent role behind the lines in the Cretan resistance during the Second World War. He was widely regarded as Britain's greatest living travel writer during his lifetime, based on books such as A Time of Gifts (1977). A BBC journalist once described him as "a cross between Indiana Jones, James Bond and Graham Greene."​

For me, he personified the golden age of adventure. At age 19 he walked from Holland to Istanbul and (later) wrote a classic about it. Then he lived for four years with a Romanian Princess. When the war broke out he served in intelligence and eventually worked behind enemy lines, coordinating resistance fighters in Crete. In the process he personally kidnapped a German General ---in an act of foolhardy courage. After the war he traveled extensively and wrote classic after classic. Much more than a travel writer, he was a self-educated polymath and linguist and his books are a treasure trove of obscure knowledge on history, art, and folk customs. He seems to have known everyone (Ian Fleming gives him a good reference in one of the James Bond books). PLF also had a charming personality, and was irresistible to women. On the less flattering side, he never held a normal job in his life and was a serial bed-hopper; Interviewed years later for his biography, the ladies still have surprisingly little to say about him that is bad. The man drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney and lived independently well into his 90s. I just admire the fact that he had the courage, intelligence and imagination to live a life that was completely larger than life. Patrick Leigh Fermor is definitely a man that only the golden era could have produced.

View attachment 41490

Now that's a Role Model....Magnificent

bobm

A-List Customer
Not sure about role models, but in terms of timeless, casual dress, there are many, but Steve Mc Queen , particularly in The Great Escape - Khakis, sweatshirt, bomber jacket is as cool, timeless as it gets. Harrison Ford ala Indiana Jones for a timeless though rough and nostalgic look.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

Sir Patrick Michael Leigh Fermor, DSO, OBE (11 February 1915 – 10 June 2011), also known as Paddy Fermor, was a British author, scholar and soldier who played a prominent role behind the lines in the Cretan resistance during the Second World War. He was widely regarded as Britain's greatest living travel writer during his lifetime, based on books such as A Time of Gifts (1977). A BBC journalist once described him as "a cross between Indiana Jones, James Bond and Graham Greene."
. . . He seems to have known everyone (Ian Fleming gives him a good reference in one of the James Bond books). . . .

View attachment 41490
In Live and Let Die, I believe; Bond is researching voodoo in preparation for his battle with Mr. Big, and Fleming quotes a section from one of Fermor's books.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
As for yours truly's role model, have a look at my avatar -- both his Napoleon Solo (a much more honorable fellow in many ways than James Bond) and Dr. Vaughn personally (he's a Ph.D.).

Wells

Familiar Face
Ah, I probably look up to more people than I should. Viggo Mortensen and Ryan Gosling are my two real role models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner