Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Role of Brown Suits in the Golden Age

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
The only rule worth remembering is never wear blue shoes with a brown suit.
3226188210_5d8be79e45_o.jpg

(Original by Oxner, Apparel Arts, spring, 1934. The shoes were originally brown, the tie burgundy.)

It's interesting how a blue suit with brown shoes looks good but the opposite looks off.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Lets see a shot of that

I have a brown pair of 40s slacks with red fleck which is more on the fall color wheel.

Blue and brown does seem odd though
It's an odd phenomenon: a pleasing color combination that went out of style. It wasn't overused by any means (try finding a blue/brown vintage tie. bet you can't.) It just sort of went away.

About the brown suit/blue shoes illustration: it's a joke. The old saying - 1950s to '90s anyway - was never wear brown shoes with a blue suit. Nobody had blue shoes.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Blue and brown does seem odd though

It sounds odd probably because it's not a combination not seen in modern color pallets. I was inspired to try combining blues and browns when wearing vintage after seeing it done in some Esquire / Apparel Arts prints and reading about the combination here on the FL. I ended up liking the look so much that I started combining blues and browns in my work wardrobe of modern suits and ties too!

Blue suit, brown tie, and a boozy gleam in the eye (compliments of a powerful holiday punch):

224972_10151272856518213_904496598_n.jpg

Last edited:

DamianM

Vendor
It's an odd phenomenon: a pleasing color combination that went out of style. It wasn't overused by any means (try finding a blue/brown vintage tie. bet you can't.) It just sort of went away.

About the brown suit/blue shoes illustration: it's a joke. The old saying - 1950s to '90s anyway - was never wear brown shoes with a blue suit. Nobody had blue shoes.

I try to never wear black with brown though

kyboots

Practically Family
I agree brown suits are outstanding. For the 20 years I wore suits they were always medium or dark brown. Too bad about England. Many of my northern European relatives ( Dutch ) are like me very fair skin; my wife always said I "looked like death eating a cracker " when I had on a gray suit.
Of course that might fit bankers!

Foxer55

A-List Customer
How about tan or biege. The standard dress suit here in DC some 30 years ago was the lightweight tan or khaki colored suit. Now you can't even find them in the stores except on rare occassion. I wear one all the time in summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24