Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolling stones 50th anniversary tour

Edward

Bartender
Zeppelin, mn. I have the fourth album somewhere, though in truth I don't much rate them outside of Rock and Roll (even if one of my favourite trivia facts is that Stairway was given its world premier performance in Belfast, of all places). Too hippy for me. They do seem to be much bigger in the US than they ever were here?

The Stones, I'd love to see on this tour. Saw them back in 99 in the old Wembley Stadium, and it was a fantastic show. Even Jagger, ridiculous as he is off stage, up there... stunning performer. As composers they were merely the equal of the Beatles, but as performers (and I'm comparing record here rather than live, to be entirely air to the latter), head and shoulders above the scousers. Mind you, the Pogues as both writers and performers (live and studio) knock every one of those mentioned in this thread into a cocked hat.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Zeppelin, mn. I have the fourth album somewhere, though in truth I don't much rate them outside of Rock and Roll (even if one of my favourite trivia facts is that Stairway was given its world premier performance in Belfast, of all places). Too hippy for me. They do seem to be much bigger in the US than they ever were here?

The Stones, I'd love to see on this tour. Saw them back in 99 in the old Wembley Stadium, and it was a fantastic show. Even Jagger, ridiculous as he is off stage, up there... stunning performer. As composers they were merely the equal of the Beatles, but as performers (and I'm comparing record here rather than live, to be entirely air to the latter), head and shoulders above the scousers. Mind you, the Pogues as both writers and performers (live and studio) knock every one of those mentioned in this thread into a cocked hat.
Only my opinion Edward but to me the Pogues would be considered a"Celtic" band not so much as a rock band like the Stones or Zeppelin,now don't get me wrong they're a fine band for that genre.

Edward

Bartender
Only my opinion Edward but to me the Pogues would be considered a"Celtic" band not so much as a rock band like the Stones or Zeppelin,now don't get me wrong they're a fine band for that genre.

Their music is very firmly rooted in Irish and Scottish folk tradition (much more accurate to how it would have been way back, too, than the twee nonsense we get presented as folk all too often nowadays), though the attitude is purest punk rock. I was speaking of musicians generally, though, not limiting it to genre. ;)

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Their music is very firmly rooted in Irish and Scottish folk tradition (much more accurate to how it would have been way back, too, than the twee nonsense we get presented as folk all too often nowadays), though the attitude is purest punk rock. I was speaking of musicians generally, though, not limiting it to genre. ;)
Yeah that would be my take on them,I think they're actually called "Celtic Punk"similar in sense to the Drop Kick Murphys.(what is "Twee")have to remember I live on the wrong side of the pond.haha

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Taking nominations for the strongest track created during the Stones' second 25 years...
Hey Espee well that means only stuff from 1989 till present,that'll narrow it down as they've only released 4 studio albums since then "Steel Wheels"89,"Voodoo Lounge"94,"Bridges To Babylon"97 and"A Bigger Bang"05,that's not to say they didn't release some live ones though but I have no idea on that,it would still b a tough choice non the less.I'll have to deliberate a little more before I can answer.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Plenty of good stuff since "Steel Wheels" :) Mixed Emotions, Love Is Strong, Anybody Seen My Baby, Saint Of Me... "Stripped" unplugged album was from 1995. Very nice acoustic covers of some of their best songs. I specially like "Dead Flowers" version.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
OK deliberations over and I'm picking something that wasn't a Stones original they did a fabulous copy of "Harlem Shuffle" in 1986.That's my choice,and yes I know it shouldn't count as it was 26 years ago,but that's it.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
The average age of the guys in the band is 68 yrs. old. I saw them back in the mid 90's and thought they did a good job. Why retire when you can make so much money. I don't want to move like Jagger but I wouldn't mind earning the bucks like him. Rock on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24