Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolls Razor Viscount Travel Safety Razor Strop Built into Case Original Box & Literat

mattface

Practically Family
https://www.etsy.com/listing/117907996/rolls-razor-viscount-travel-safety-razor?ref=v1_other_1

These ingenious travel razors were incredibly popular for a time before disposable blades became common. Some people call it a "Straight Razor on a Stick" but it's so much more than that. The ingenious case doubles as a strop and hone with the 2 lids serving to keep a perfect hone on the Sheffield steel blade. This one is in exceptionally excellent condition. Judging by the the condition of the red leather strop it has not been used much if at all. Included is the original box, manual, and all other literature pictured.

il_570xN.406447170_5si3.jpg

il_570xN.406448943_5n5q.jpg

il_570xN.406447168_gddj.jpg

il_570xN.406448963_lyep.jpg

il_570xN.406447166_nbtc.jpg

Lgrant

New in Town
These are wonderful razors. I've been using one for the last decade. My dad used a Rolls Imperial, in the '50s. They are a little boxier, and have three of the Greek key motifs on the covers, rather than just one. But the Viscount is my favorite. There is also an aluminum version of the Viscount that was made during WWII. It is nice because it weights a little less than ten ounces, while the regular Viscount weights a little less than 15.

If you are buying one of these, there are two things to watch for: 1) Make sure they include the shaving handle. Some sellers think the sharpening handle is the same, and 2) make sure the stone is not broken. I once bought a Rolls Razor that had never been opened, but it *had* been dropped somewhere along the line, and the stone had cracked. (Luckily, I had a spare.) That is really the one weakness of the Rolls. This is also something to think about when traveling by air, since the contents of bags sometimes get tossed around during inspection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points