Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Romanian Fashions in the mid-20th Century

matei

One Too Many
I'll see if I can dig some pictures up. I used to post more frequently on this wonderful site, but real life has become rather hectic! ;-)

All the tailors that I ever spoke to or even dealt with in Romania were all products of the trade schools established under Communism, I never got to meet any of the "old school" tailors.

Our tailor, a gruff and imposing man, was super, however getting what you wanted was a bit of hard work. Lots of back and forth, in Romania the axiom "the customer is always right" doesn't exist. ;-)

I know that at least in the capital, every neighbourhood had several tailors (their shops simply said TAILOR or TAILORING), some of these are still around - here and here.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Romaniancoatcaplayeringawesome_zps157f67bd.jpg

The overcoat in the centre reminds me of Red Army officers greatcoats of the post war period (If my brain is working properly ...)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I am horrified by the width of their trousers. All of their suits seem to use an enormous amount of fabric.

I think your preferences would be the late 1910s/first half of the 1920s, or the late 1950s/1960s, then. Stylistically, I happen to follow the later category most. Wide-legged trousers were fashionable between the mid 1920s up to the mid 1950s, if I'm correct. Personally, I do without wide trousers, preferring the pegged/tapered appearance, but there are so many other fantastic details to vintage suits from those periods. Not all trousers were as wide as the pictures, either, although in every era, there are prevailing fashions.

I find these pictures of Romanian suits to be very interesting, though. I wonder if Yugoslavian 1930s-1940s fashions were similar to those of Romania?

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes! I guess that the man was a member of the German minority (mostly in Transsylvania).
In Eastern Europe Alpine-style clothing was often (of course not exclusively) worn by Germans.

I try to figure out the short jacket on the last photograph worn with Breeches.
It is made of a soft, fluffy cloth with silk facings. Of course some sort of leisure jacket... but could it be for riding?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana