Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ronald Reagan passes away at age 93

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Today, we not only lost a great American, but also another actor from the Golden Era. Whether you agreed with his politics or not, Ronald Reagan was arguably one of the greatest Americans of the 20th century, as well as one of this nation?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s greatest presidents. His passion for freedom and loathing of Communism created historic changes around the world. There will never be another like him. He will be missed.

Ronald Reagan ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú 1911 to 2004

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Agreed.
I remember when I was a child, my Father would wake me up at night to come into the den and watch Reagan speak any time he was on tv.

His compassion and fervent desire for all humans to enjoy freedom are the hallmarks of his administrations. He was truly a great man.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
I can't express the feelings I have right now. Greif mixed with releif that his suffering has ended. I'll be having an extra scotch for the Gipper tonight.

What' I'll remember the most were the speaches, while things were tense in the world I still felt safe. He was and continue to be missed.

rayk

Familiar Face
A true American passes from our midst. I'm neither a political scientist, nor a scholar, but I vividly remember the Regan years when President Regan's administration brought the Soviet Union to its knees, then dealt it a death blow, thereby bringing to an end a 70 year reign of human suffering. To this man democracy owes a forever unpayable debt of gratitude. May he know in death a far finer peace than any he ever imagined in life.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
God Bless Ronald Reagan

He was one of my favorite presidents, if not the best in my lifetime.

I have had Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush.

10 presidents in my life!

I loved FDR and Harry Truman, but Reagan was the best, in my lifetime.

rayk

Familiar Face
Born in 1957, I have lived through the same American Presidential administrations, and Regan towers above all others as the president who has done most to foster the cause of democracy. He will be sorely missed.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Agreed on all points. He was a great American and the best.....by far.......President in my lifetime.

The funny thing is.....I also remember the nay-sayers during his administration. They sound almost identical to the ones today.

I am glad that he has to wait no longer.....for his due reward. My hope is that the family will have peace now too.

Is it more than a little like a Hollywood ending that with the passing of this great American leader....... who changed the world through strength and resolve,...... that our newest aircraft carrier.....a major symbol of US power, begins a career with the name......Ronald Reagan?

A fitting end.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
What I remembered most about President Reagan is his speaches. He was able to sound like he was talking to everyone in the country and just me at the same time.

He was a man of faith, strong convictions. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hard to believe this Hollywood story has ended this way. It also seems fitting that he would die the day before the 60th annaversary of D-Day.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
My memories go back to when he won the Governorship of California. It scared me because he was "just an actor". What could he possibly know about government? Hmmm, I guess I was just repeating what was being said on the news. Then came the Presedential race. I hadn't kept up with what he had done as governor as I was try to grow up. In 1979 I owned two businesses, both with loans tied to prime, which went to 22% and basically bankrupted me, then came Reagan. What a breath of fresh air as a real politician was saying the very things that I was thinking and saying it directly to me!! I doubted him but he proved my doubt's unfounded and led us back to prosperity by beating the liberals in their back yard. Are most of you aware that in 1979 the highest tax rate was 72%?( give or take a few points) After state taxes you were left with about .20 on every dollar made, completely unfair and we had an even bigger "underground" economy because of it.
I could make this a novel with enough time so I'll just say Goodbye Mr. President, my prayers, thoughts, wishes, and heart go with you.
Peace

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
A great man. I learned of his passing Sunday morning and it hit me hard. He will be missed.

schwammy

Familiar Face
I remember being in swimming lessons when my teacher came up and told me the president had been shot. Not Kennedy- I was too young for that. This was Reagan. Couldn't believe he survived. Afterward, I remember hearing that he chopped wood to help him recover, and gained so much muscle that he had to buy all new shirts. May be apocryphal, but my admiration for the man soared.

Later, I remember gathering around the family TV to watch as he announced the invasion of Granada. His optimism was so refreshing in a time of almost universal cynicism and dread.

Then there was the interviewer who said, "Mr. President, I understand you were mostly a C-average student?"
"Yes," said the President of the United States, "just think how far I might have gone if only I had done better in school."

What a great guy.

Fedora

Vendor
I watched the services from Washington today. It put a tear in my eye. The music in the 80's, I did not like, but the 80's brought me my kids,as all were born in that decade, Spielberg and Lucas gave us Indy, and Reagan was President. It is hard to top that. Fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran