Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rotmans Hats closing in Toronto

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Besides, who buys a fedora any more?

Wish I could get to that sale this weekend!!
There are bound to be great deals on hat making equipment
and supplies... maybe even some old hats.

It seems that for every sign that hats are making a comeback, there's a story like this one that suggests otherwise.

Thanks for posting the link, even if it does sadden me to read it. The writer doesn't state it explicitly, but it sounds like the old guy has no offspring who might be interested in carrying on the business. The remaining hats-only retail shop in Seattle, Byrnie Utz, has been around nearly as long. If my understanding is correct, the guy who runs the store now had once worked for the family that ran the place. He took over the business quite some number of years ago, when they decided to get out. Had he not been so passionate about hats and the business, it's doubtful the place would still be with us. There's more money in beer, smokes, and Big Gulps, you know.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Just got back from the closing sale. Thought I would pick up a bargain or even a beater or two but it was a complete waste of time.
There were a couple of felts in size 7 and all the straws were 6 7/8

feltfan, There was no hat making equipment or supplies of any kind.

Justdog

Practically Family
Rotmans

My little Rotman story. Went down to see the store last year. It is in the Chinese district now and not a lot of hat aficionado traffic through there. The South corners are a bit rough area wise. I showed up wearing an Adams. The door was partly blockaded and someone in front of me was trying to get in but the occupants pushed them out and told them to leave. I poked my head in and he saw the hat and ushered us in from his wheelchair. He was pretty excited about the hat I had on and asked to see it. He looked at it and said it was a nice hat. He was very nice and had a lot of history to expel. I asked about the inventory and he said Biltmore was slow to deliver his orders. The store was pretty bare and there was no hat making equipment to speak of. We maneuvered around the crowded little foyer and then shook his hand and left. Very nice man and the aroma of an old era of an experienced successful hat store was fading into the pages of memory and nostalgic articles as I made my way uptown.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Just thought I would give you a nice little follow up to the closing of the Rotman's store. My friend Bill went in there a couple of months ago and was given one day to salvage what he could of the display racks and store furniture. He recently opened his tattoo shop in Kensington Market, where you can see the Rotman's furniture (and other great vintage memorabilia) being used and loved.
30837_130758713603036_130754906936750_345672_5057373_n.jpg

30837_130758716936369_130754906936750_345673_5194684_n.jpg

30837_130770793601828_130754906936750_345712_3791663_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff