Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal Stetson Whippet in 7 5/8 arrived today - questions (now with pictures!)

MattJH

One Too Many
Hi! So, this just arrived. I'm at work, so I can't post pictures yet, but I will later. To my delight, the 5/8 was for a 7 5/8 and not a 6 5/8.

There are a few problems:

When I pushed the porkpie bash out into an open crown shape, I noticed a prominent yellow age-line going around the external circumference of the crown. Is a professional cleaning my only option?

The liner is completely unattached from the inside of the hat. I would like it to be attached. Suggestions?

The ribbon has "shifted" upwards, exposing the thread at the point where the brim meets the crown. Should I just tug it downwards?

The sweatband is becoming unattached to the crown in the back where the size tag is.

Finally, while the liner says Whippet, the sweatband does not. It just says Royal Stetson. Is this a genuine Whippet? If it helps, the original price tag on the inside of the sweatband clearly reads $10.00 and the measurements are: Brim 2 1/4", Crown 6", Ribbon 1 3/4".

#1) Is this a genuine Whippet?

#2) Think this is a contender for Graham at Optimo's restoration services? I know they'll have to replace the sweatband, but I really really really really want the liner to be kept. Do you think it'd be an issue?

Thanks!

These pictures were taken with natural lighting so some are slightly blurry. My apologies. It's pretty dirty, but it fits perfectly and the dimensions are perfect for my face.

01-Stetson-Whippet-front.jpg

Front of the hat.
02-Stetson-Whippet-side.jpg

Left side of the hat.
03-Stetson-Whippet-back.jpg

Back of the hat.
04-Stetson-Whippet-side.jpg

Right side of the hat.
05-Stetson-Whippet-front.jpg

Center dent / front pinch from the front.
06-Stetson-Whippetside.jpg

Center dent / front pinch from the left side.
07-Stetson-Whippet-liner.jpg

The precious liner.

Looks like a Whippet to me, dumbjaw.

Hard to answer all you questions without having the lid in hand, but provided that yellow line can be persuaded to go away, and there are no other major problems (felt worn thin, for instance), that hat is easily worth the cost of a thorough restoration. There's no shortage of large-headed old-hat fanciers who lust after a Whippet they could actually wear.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Dumbjaw said:
When I pushed the porkpie bash out into an open crown shape, I noticed a prominent yellow age-line going around the external circumference of the crown. Is a professional cleaning my only option?

The liner is completely unattached from the inside of the hat. I would like it to be attached. Suggestions?

The ribbon has "shifted" upwards, exposing the thread at the point where the brim meets the crown. Should I just tug it downwards?

The sweatband is becoming unattached to the crown in the back where the size tag is.

#2) Think this is a contender for Graham at Optimo's restoration services? I know they'll have to replace the sweatband, but I really really really really want the liner to be kept. Do you think it'd be an issue?

I don't own a Whippet, so I've got no clue on whether it is or isn't one.

As to the rest, I can tell you that I just received 3 hats back today from Optimo. One had a storage ring mark that looked a little orange on the green felt. I specifically noted that it was the main issue I had with the hat. It's still there, so I think I may end up replacing the really small ribbon with something wide enough to cover the ring. I don't know if your yellow mark will come out, and yours is certainly harder to hide.

That same hat had a liner that had come completely detached. I don't think that they charged me to sew it back in.

There's no reason that you can't just pull the ribbon down. I've got a hat that snapped one of it's ribbon stitches while stretching. I haven't fixed that stitch yet, so I just give the ribbon a little pull downward now and then.

Another of the hats I sent to Optimo has a sweat that's coming a bit apart from the hat in the front. I noted that they should call me if it was going to be a problem with the clean and block. They never called, and the sweat is just as it was. If yours isn't too bad, just leave it. You can wear the hat as an original until it absolutely has to be fixed, or you can get the sweat change-over done with as part of the cleaning/blocking.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I'm glad it fits! (comments in red)

Dumbjaw said:
Hi! So, this just arrived. I'm at work, so I can't post pictures yet, but I will later. To my delight, the 5/8 was for a 7 5/8 and not a 6 5/8.

There are a few problems:

When I pushed the porkpie bash out into an open crown shape, I noticed a prominent yellow age-line going around the external circumference of the crown. Is a professional cleaning my only option? I'd definitely have it cleaned/restored.

The liner is completely unattached from the inside of the hat. I would like it to be attached. Suggestions? Have it sewn in during restoration.

The ribbon has "shifted" upwards, exposing the thread at the point where the brim meets the crown. Should I just tug it downwards? Restoration.

The sweatband is becoming unattached to the crown in the back where the size tag is. If the sweatband is viable, have it resewn during restoration.

Finally, while the liner says Whippet, the sweatband does not. It just says Royal Stetson. Is this a genuine Whippet? I have two Whippets, one brown and one bluegrey. Neither has Whippet on the sweatband. Both have Whippet on the liner. I'd say it's genuine.
If it helps, the original price tag on the inside of the sweatband clearly reads $10.00 and the measurements are: Brim 2 1/4", Crown 6", Ribbon 1 3/4".

#1) Is this a genuine Whippet? I believe it is.

#2) Think this is a contender for Graham at Optimo's restoration services? I know they'll have to replace the sweatband, but I really really really really want the liner to be kept. Do you think it'd be an issue? I'd definitely have it restored. I think all these issues will be resolved by restoration. Be sure to keep the original sweatband if it is replaced.
It's pretty dirty, but it fits perfectly and the dimensions are perfect for my face.

Congratulations, DJ. It appears that you have a WINNAH'! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, looks like the real deal.

I have two also, (brown and grey) and they only have Whippet in the crown. They also made them in shades of blue, green, etc., etc.

Not only does yours have the right name in the crown but it's trim, and proportions match the looks of my Whippets.

Congrats on a good old hat purchase.

carter

I'll Lock Up
BTW, one of mine was purchased from another member of the FL. who had it restored by Art Fawcett. It looks MAHVELOUS. :)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like a fantastic hat. I don't think keeping the liner would be any problem. And if it says Whippet then that's what it is. I think sending it off for a refurb would be well worth it for such a classic hat.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Yup. It's a Whippet. The very early Whippet models had the word "Whippet" on the sweat, but, from at least the late 40's on, the word "Whippet" only appeared on the liner, just as in your lid. And yours has all of the other hallmarks of a Whippet, in terms of design and trim.

That Whippet has that beautiful classic combination of dove tan felt, a black ribbon, and gold edge binding. You done good, Dumbjaw. You done real good.

Oh, and as far as Optimo and replacement of liners... Graham told me that, even where a hat is sent for cleaning and the liner is not sewn in, Optimo will go ahead and sew the liner back in (in the case of a vintage lid that ordinarily would have had a sewn-in liner). So, having the liner sewn in would be part of the deal. I'm sure a clean and block would have that Whippet looking pristine.

Cheers,
JtL

MattJH

One Too Many
Thanks everyone!

I am still in shock that I managed to get a Stetson Whippet in 7 5/8 for such an awesome price. This is easily the best bargain I've ever come across, and I realize that even after paying Optimo for restoration, I still got it at quite a bargain.

I've sent an email over to Graham. Once the whole restoration process is complete, I'll make a new thread with new pictures.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!

MattJH

One Too Many
The hat was shipped to Optimo today. Now it's a waiting game.

Along with my 7 5/8 LO MacLachlan, this is going to be my most treasured.

MattJH

One Too Many
Optimo called me yesterday. They're going to do a full renovation while retaining the original Whippet liner. They're going to try to salvage the grossgrain ribbon, but can't promise anything. They're definitely replacing the leather sweatband. They also suggested that I allow them to crease it as a c-crown, as it will be the best crease to hide the discoloration that they say is actually part of the felt at this point rather than a stain that can be cleaned out. I obliged. They're also going to stretch it slightly as it apparently shrunk a bit over time. I got the hat for $49.10 with shipping and Optimo's restoration charge is $100, so in the end, I'm getting a slightly discolored Stetson Whippet in 7 5/8 restored by Optimo for $149.10. Not bad at all!

More pictures when it's returned to me.

MattJH

One Too Many
Wouldn't you know it - the second 7 5/8 Stetson Whippet I've ever seen (aside from the one I won) just ended for over $212. I feel very good about my purchase, and whoever won this second one has an artifact on their hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk