Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Rules" for newsboy caps use?

rgraham

A-List Customer
You know, I was going to say Charles Lindbergh, so I went for a quick glance on google images, but didn't find anything that looked like that image. :eusa_doh:

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I have in my time studied early 20th Century Irish history in some depth (especially the 1912-23 period), and having seem a lot of period photos of IRA units etc, that seems fairly accurate. Another one which does it well was The Wind that Shakes The Barley, a Mike Leigh film from a couple of years ago which centred on two brothers involved in the IRA from about 1919 onwards - reaction to the Black and Tans, the War of Independence, and taking separate sides on the Civil War. Fictional story, but based on the real experiences of many. Some fantastic period clothing in that - oh, and see also Michael Jordan's Michael Collins.

Of course, the IRA of that period, being guerilla fighters, wore regular civilian clothing of the time... the working class boys that were typically the men on the ground were cap wearers pretty much, while the more well to do officer types would often wear a brimmed hat (Michael Collins is well known for having sported hombergs). Bear in mind also the practicality - out on manouevres in the hills of Ireland it can get very windy, so a cap makes all sorts of sense from that perspective. The (stereo)typical picture of the 20s IRA man in long coat and flat cap isn't that far off.

ETA: I'm sure I remember Warren Beatty(?) wearing a flatcap for most of Bonnie and Clyde....

I've seen Michael Collins, but not The Wind that Shakes the Barley, thanks for the reference. I'll look for it.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
OK, I've held my tongue on this one long enough but, as no one has stepped up for the easy kill,

The first rule of newsboy caps is...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
rgraham said:
It seems one of the "rules" for these guys was to not be afraid of heights.

I have always been fascinated by this famous shot. Did these guys have to eat out there deliberately? Did they move along one by one like bench setting in a restaurant?[huh] [huh] :eusa_doh:

Feraud

Bartender
Another good pic.
DSC05792.jpg

rgraham

A-List Customer
cookie said:
I have always been fascinated by this famous shot. Did these guys have to eat out there deliberately? Did they move along one by one like bench setting in a restaurant?[huh] [huh] :eusa_doh:

Also, check the "empty" bottle of hooch in the hands of the guy on the far right.

Actually, they were posed shots made by a photographer named Charles Ebbetts. However, these poses were tame compared to what these guys actually had to do on a day to day basis.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I like it for more of a sportier look for dressing down a suit.

Here is what I wore for Esquire- navy chalkstripe flannel with a bone wool cap.
raymond-chu-2-0908-lg-77637109.jpg

Also, if you pick up the new Men's Vogue or GQ, the Ralph Lauren ad features a model wearing a suit with a newsboy/driving cap that looks very dashing.

LondonLuke said:
I have to say I'm not really a fan of newsboy caps, much prefer the flat cap. Far more masculine

Wow, Really? In my opinion, I'd say the reverse was true.

It seems to me that a newsboy cap is a working man's cap and encompasses a rugged make due nature.

My impression of the flat cap it seems more in line for the elitist, like the college prof in his sports car, or suggesting the picture of the quintessential yuppie, networking in the old boys club.

I could be wrong but that is the impression I usually get from the flat cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy