Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum and Coke Question

armod

Familiar Face
Ray-Vigo said:
This is technically true. Boylan's is also made with sugarcane still as well. I suppose I could try to locate some. I hadn't thought of that angle, but I'll have to try it. I prefer cane soda to corn syrup soda, though I always thought of mixing it up with other things as "wasting" it, since it's hard to get here in MD. I know of a couple places that carry Boylan's still. I'll have to look for some.

you might also want to check out red bull cola.

it's not an energy drink

its a regular cola made with traditional spices and sugars

look at their site
it's has an ingredient list that I've never seen on any of the big cola labels

it's worth noting that the coca leaf isn't available in all countries and they simply leave it out instead of using chemical flavouring to replace it

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ethan Bentley said:
M'am you have excellent taste.

:cheers1: My love of Pusser's began when I was 18 or so and in Tortola...
Tortola_SailingBoats.jpg

siiiiiiiiigh

Lady Day said:
Ah, not always true. Go to BevMo, and get a 'Mexican Coke' (in the glass bottles). Cokes in Mexico are still made with cane sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup as they are made in the states. The taste is MUCH cleaner, and does contribute to a mighty fine R&C :) LD
Don't forget that during the Passover season Coke does make a Kosher version that is cane sugar as they can't use corn syrup.

A nice brightener to the Rum & Coke experience is to squeeze a little fresh lemon or lime juice in and toss in the slice.:D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
John in Covina said:
A nice brightener to the Rum & Coke experience is to squeeze a little fresh lemon or lime juice in and toss in the slice.:D
In the Caribbean a slice of citrus is often used to mask inferior spirits. And also to wake up old seafood.

topango

Familiar Face
The way Rum and coke was meant to be ??

Club Havana Rum (any age, dark or light), Coke sweetened with sugar cane vs. corn syrup (Mexican coke in the original glass bottle).

Two great tastes that go great together …or alone

Volpone

New in Town
Another way of ...

Bacardi Black & Pepsi & Lime ... I abused a bit about it a few nights ago ... it's stealing you without you knowing it ... enjoy ! ... and some Solomon Burke music ... "None of us are free" !

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'll add to the chorus of Bacardi and Coke. When I was in college I drank 151 and Coke.

Also, a few years ago I was in a nightclub and ordered a Bacardi and Coke and a drink for my wife. When I got back to my table I sipped my drink and wondered why the bartender gave me someone else's drink.

I took it back to the bar and asked what he made for me. He told me it was a rum and coke. I tasted it again and told him that there was no way this was a rum and coke and suggested he taste it.

He didnt want to. I asked him why it tasted so different. He then told me the bar used Pepsi products - no Coke. I ordered a beer.

That bar, by the way, is now out of business. Im not saying thats the reason the bar closed, but Pepsi is not Coke.

olive bleu

One Too Many
appleton_estate_vx_rum.jpg

Always Appletons for me..with Coke and a squeeze of lemon/lime. Actually, i think i have some Coke in the fridge now....

Although, i have to be loyal and also put a vote in for the SCREECH :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Barbancourt rum from Haiti. They make several grades, each with it's own characteristics -

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Malibu and coke all the way. I haven't tried it with mexican coke yet, but that sounds fantastic! I think I see a trip to BevMo in my future. . .

On a side note, Captain Morgan Tatoo makes a killer strawberry daquiri.

Great, I'm gonna get so plastered tonight. . .

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
If you're going to destroy rum by putting coke in it, buy the cheapest rum you can find. [huh]

What's the point of using a nicely complex - necessarily relatively expensive - rum to mix with coke, which ruins all the subtle flavours?

bk

Well said!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points