Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rundown on Ladies 30's and 40's hats.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Thanks, Holly! I'm planning to give it a little TLC when work cools down in November, so I'll have to put up a (hopefully smaller!) pic of the new number ;)

I'm still so pleased that it only cost me about 14 dollars!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Hi Decodoll,

I'm sure you'll forgive a stupid question, but could you explain what you do with a hat block? I've got a vague idea involving wet felt and a shaped piece of wood and a lot of stretching/shaping/drying, but I'd love to hear more about the hat-making process from felt and block to shop window!

violet fedora

New in Town
Beatrix Designs Hats

Hello,
I am new here and sooooo enchanted to have found you all. I am using this thread to introduce my self because I am a milliner and thus love love hats. The majority of the hats that I make are women?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s cocktail hats, my "Femme Fedora's", Cloches and Sun hats all of which are most definitely influenced by the 20's-50's. I am getting more and more into men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hats although that field is hard to compete in because of the well-established companies Borsalino etc.....
Anyhow, this site is so wonderfully informative and I am very excited about joining a community of folks whom share the same visual esthetics and a desire for beauty in even the smallest of details.
Is anybody here a member of the Art Deco Society in the San Francisco area?

I have also bought hat blocks from your Papa, Deco Doll. I use them all of the time. I have a "Perch Hat" block that I have used consistantly. I get most of my blocks from e-bay but also there is an amazing hat block maker in Italy that I absolutly adore, his site is hatblock.com

makll

Familiar Face
violet fedora,
I Love his blocks. Have you ordered any?

BTW, your hats are great. Not to many folks in my area will wear that style.
I do make one style that is similar to your pillbox. Its a toque in fabrics, cut and sew fashion.

I love those small hats and wear them often when going out at night..

decodoll

Practically Family
violet fedora said:
Anyhow, this site is so wonderfully informative and I am very excited about joining a community of folks whom share the same visual esthetics and a desire for beauty in even the smallest of details. Here is a link to my web page.
Beatrix Designs

I love your hats...especially the Audrey!

Is anybody here a member of the Art Deco Society in the San Francisco area?

I am...well...I think it recently expired. I really have to renew that. :) Were you at the Gatsby picnic a couple of weeks ago?

I have also bought hat blocks from your Papa, Deco Doll. I use them all of the time. I have a "Perch Hat" block that I have used consistantly. I get most of my blocks from e-bay but also there is an amazing hat block maker in Italy that I absolutly adore, his site is hatblock.com

Hatblock.com does have some amazing blocks. I've never used one, but they look good enough to display as sculpture. I'll have to ask my dad if he's seen your site before. I'm sure he'd like to see it if he hasn't already.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
decodoll said:
I am...well...I think it recently expired. I really have to renew that. :) Were you at the Gatsby picnic a couple of weeks ago?

Are you a member of Costumer's Guild West or the Greater Bay Area Costumer's Guild, by any chance?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I am honored to have hatmakers amongst us! Welcome, makll and violet fedora! I still have to learn the craft, but it seems sewing is demanding all my time right now. I definately have a high respect for your talents! I'll try to post more hat pics soon. I just got some great 30's Photoplays with killer images.

decodoll

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Are you a member of Costumer's Guild West or the Greater Bay Area Costumer's Guild, by any chance?

No, I'm not. I was actually planning on taking a hat trimming class given by the GBACG awhile back, but it was cancelled.

violet fedora

New in Town
DecoDoll, I have not yet purchased from hatblock.com but my good friend is in Italy now and is going to check out his shop & I am asking her to ship one back to me. So I hope to obtain one of his blocks soon. I will let you know when I get it. They are very much like sculptures. I did not attend the Gatsby picnic but I have heard that it was great fun. Possibly, I will see you at another of their events. Thanks for the kind words!
I love the hat pics posted.

makll

Familiar Face
Lauren,
Thanks for the welcome.

Violet Fedora,
That was me asking about the blocks form Italy.
I would love to hear news when you get your block.

I have been wanting / wishing to order from them. There are several styles that capture my interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy