Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rundown on Ladies 30's and 40's hats.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
MissQueenie said:
I definitely agree that ladies' hats were a seasonal purchase. I've seen enough "How to dress" manuals from the 30s stressing the seasonality of one's wardrobe to drive that home. The idea seems to have been to buy one really high style hat for the season, and wear it til it was out of style (very french concept)

Ha! I've read that book too. I bet it was difficult with al the choices out there. And it recommended wearing your hair and makeup as you would with a hat when you go shopping to make sure it flatters your face. That's another thing to dig up this evening ;) A reproduction of that book is available at Amazon, and it's a very clever read. I really did take some things to heart! Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm

Also in that same book it requested buying a good quality suit and a good quality dress, and changing it from season to season with appropriate inexpensive accessories. That's something that would be almost unthinkable today! We have Forever 21 to supply us with the latest fashion fetish for a very low cost (as they did in a form as well, I'm sure).

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I have the repro of "Better than Beauty"! It's a sweet little book; I think it got mixed reviews on Amazon because people weren't expecting it to be as vintage as it was. A friend also has a copy of some fashion guide from '29 -- I can't recall the name, "Harmony in Dress" maybe? But that was an informative book as well.

I'm always amazed at the amount of "disposable clothing" I see every day -- stuff that is so poorly made it is not even meant to be washed!

~ Q

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
As promised...

November, 1940

Leopard Beret
47b5d607b3127cce9385f5d042b600000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Corduroy Turban and Matching Purse
47b5d607b3127cce9385f5de42b800000015108AatmbRq2ctP

"They Design for You to Make"
47b5d607b3127cce93850e1f029c00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Winter Weather
47b5d607b3127cce9385021283a700000015108AatmbRq2ctP

March 1942 Easter Parade
47b5d607b3127cce9385f5d242b400000015108AatmbRq2ctP

47b5d607b3127cce9385f5d442b200000015108AatmbRq2ctP

I have lots more mags that I need to scan; I will post hats to this thread as I can! Hats of the late 1930s-early 1940s are my all-time favorites. I go wild every time I find one online or in a store ;)

Lauren

Ooh! Great pics, Jitterbugdoll! I especially love the matching red hat and purse! I'm with you on the late 30's/early 40's fling. They were absolutely gorgeous, and done up in such wild colors!

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
What a great thread! :)

Unfortunately, I left the few hats I had with a friend while I was overseas, and she let her 2 year old play with them and throw then in the dressup box. Needless to say, they are now shapeless lumps of felt and feather. :cry: I'd love to find more, but they just don't seem to be in the shops any more.

Anyway, if nobody else is already planning to do so, I can grab the '43 - '45 Sears catalogue from the local library and scan it in... sometime soon. :p

Lauren

That would be absolutely lovely, Angelicious! And I'm so sorry about your hats! I remember my mom giving me dress up clothes and absolutely loving them... in retrospect I know there was one 30's one that got turned into a "princess dress" It's sad to think of it now, but I sure had fun when I was young! And I know what you mean about the hats. When I first started collecting vintage about ten years ago you could find things no problem and for so inexpensively. Now it seems they are charging $15 for 60's hats!

I wonder if there's a way we could find out what was the hat to have for each year? Hmm... this may turn into my pet research project...

ITG

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Ladies' hats (especially newer) also seem to be of much lower quality - thick felts or wools, cheaply woven straw. Or am I wrong about this?
Yes, I agree it seems to be that way. You pretty much have to go to a Hat Shop (PB, Baron's, Optimo, etc) to find anything of quality.

Lauren, this sounds like a fun thread. I know when I've gone shopping at antique malls, I've run across hats and have opted to not buy them fearing they were 1950s (not 1930s/1940s). I did find a cute black hat for $15 this summer that is similar in style to one of the hats you posted in one of the pics on the first page from the 1946 group of pics, although I venture to guess my hat is earlier than 1946. I need to do my hair and snap a pic.

decodoll

Practically Family
I adore hats...especially doll hats! I enjoy making them as well, but don't get as many chances to wear them as I'd like. According to 1944's "It's Fun to Make a Hat", there are six basic women's hat silhouettes and most variations stem from these: The sailor (the most versatile), the turban, the calot, the beret, the breton and the pillbox.

My dad makes hat blocks and sells them on ebay. He especially likes making doll hat sized blocks. If anyone's interested, his username is thecomicbroker. He just had a super cute perch top hat set go off today.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
New hat!

I just bought a new hat at a thrift shop over the weekend, along with a neat little dress -- I'd love to share the pics to get other people's opinion on the approx. date, but I don't know how. Can someone point me in the direction of some...well, directions?

Lauren

From "Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm" Originally published in 1938 by Herald Publishing Co, New York, NY. This Version Copyright 2002 by Chronicle Books LLC.

"Do you remember the poular song, "There's Danger in Your Eyes, Cherie"? Try to remember it and paraphrase it- especially at the moment when the saleswoman stands behind you with her hands upraised and chants, "That hat looks lovely on you." Take a hand mirror and look at the hat and at your face and hair, from both sides, and from the back. Stand up and walk toward the mirror. Try to see yourself, and your hat-to-be, as others will see you.
If you feel like a fool in it, don't take it, even though it's smart as can be. On the other hand, don't be afraid to try hats that are different from the kind you usually wear. It is hard to tell which is worse in buying a hat- the too-daring mood or the too conservative. You must try to be brave, but not foolhardy.
If you are a woman who has her hair done regularly, who wears it in the newest,smartest fashion and keeps it always perfectly groomed, then you can afford to be a bit dashing and original in your choice. For, even if the hat is not the most flattering in the world, it may well give you an air of sophisicated chic that can be better than mere prettyness. But if you are casual about your coiffure and have it done only on occasion, try to choose hats that look "at home" and flattering when you hair is in its average state.
One woman we know has an unfailing sense about choosing her headgear. We asked her for some rules. Here they are:
1. I buy one good hat every season- the best I can afford. Then I fill in with an occasional inexpensive hat or one that I pick up in a sale. But I always have one dependable standby.
2. I always buy my hats on days when I look my worst. Then I'm pleasantly surprised when I wear them. If you buy a hat when you're looking your best and have just had your hair set, you're due for disappointment when you give it a run-of-the-mill wearing.
3. I never buy a hat in a hurry. It's one thing that needs studying from all angles. Impulsive hat purchases are too often diastrous.
And there you are. Simple as that!

Pages 77-79.

"How about your shoes nd purse? If there's no harmony ahead, your pet bargain will soon become your prize eyesore. Be strong. Drop it, as though it had thorns. Watch for another bargain that will really be worth it's purchase price.
If it's a hat, be sure that it will live in sympathy with the clothes you have, and with your face. While it is undeniable that a giddy, extreme hat may work wonders on the morale, its effect is temporary. If you can afford such a luxury, by all means have it. But if you have to wear it and wear your things, it's better to lean toward the more conservative bonnets. That does not necissarily mean the conventional little felt with nothing but safety to offer. It mearely means avoiding the too-bizarre, the too-dashing styles. When high crowns are smart, by all means have one. It needn't tower to dizy faddish heights. Leave extremes to the ladies who do not have to live with their mistakes."
pp 73-74

"If you are short... Do not war large hat-they make a small girl look like an umbrella... Tiny hats, berets, and turbans are fine for you. You can wear a brim, if it is not too wide. But never buy a hat while you are seated in front of a mirror. Always stand up and study your full length. If the hat seems over-important, don't buy it."
pp 51,53

"If you are very tall... Large hats, which make a small girl look out of balance, make you look romantic and interesting."
pp 53,55

"If you are stout...if your face is large, keep away from tiny hats. Choose meddium width brims, preferably with a slightly irregular line or with trimming or emphasis on one side. Evenly balanced hats tend to make your face look fuller."
pp 57,60

This book is a treasure trove. If anyone wants it, you can buy it on Amazon at the link I provided higher up on this thread.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Some shots of my new hat:

891aa775.jpg

And for kicks, since I don't know where else to post it, here are a couple of shots of my new frock:

a1836027.jpg

2bb018cd.jpg

Any ideas about the hat? Date? I definitely plan to take off the hideous and tired-looking old ostrich feather, and replace it with something else...but what? I have some dove grey shoes that were my grandmother's that look well with the hat...but I haven't got the outfit yet!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I'd say that hat dates to the 1940s, and I actually like the feather. So, if it needs to be replaced I'd suggest doing so with another feather in better condition--perhaps something in a contrasting color? You can always adorn the hat with a few large silk flowers as well.

The pearl gray color will coordinate nicely with a lot of suits/dresses; you can choose something in a pastel (a rich pink or coral might be nice), or go for contrast and choose something brighter--a red or deep blue, for example.

Very nice!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I'd say that hat dates to the 1940s, and I actually like the feather. So, if it needs to be replaced I'd suggest doing so with another feather in better condition--perhaps something in a contrasting color? You can always adorn the hat with a few large silk flowers as well.

The pearl gray color will coordinate nicely with a lot of suits/dresses; you can choose something in a pastel (a rich pink or coral might be nice), or go for contrast and choose something brighter--a red or deep blue, for example.

Very nice!

I definitely would like to keep a feather on the hat, just not the one that's currently on -- all the plumes are really limp and bare. Thanks for the color suggestions! I'll probably take the hat with me when I go shopping for fabric. I sort of like the look of the grey with the white feather, but I'm wondering if it might be nice to have more contrast between the hat base and the decoration...

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Cute dress,love the hat!
Definitely stick with feathers or flowers or perhaps both.
I had an interesting idea, find your ensemble to complement the hat and then look for feathers to match the ensemble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy